PDA

View Full Version : Bear Mountain, NY, Ellis

August
05-10-2011, 08:08 AM
I went out Sunday with just enough provisions to ride to Bear Mountain from NYC if I was inclined, so once I passed Nyack (home of Edward Hopper), the traditional turn-around when riding from the city, I kept on. It was also the day for the Gran Fondo New York, so I followed the course north as most of the participants returned south in pacelines or solo, churning the cranks. At the climb, the park service was disassembling the way station were the Gran Fondo riders had started a time trial up the mountain earlier that afternoon; I climbed alone, listening to Brahms. At the top, men on choppers and their women stared at the Ellis--it's a work of art, and good for a century, too.

Look closely in the upper-left quadrant of the photo and you'll see the jagged NYC skyline in the distance.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2321/5703278246_ac3ea5480f_b.jpg

Germany_chris
05-10-2011, 08:14 AM
Bear mountain is BEAUTIFUL! My parents teach at West Point so I try to ride it every time I'm back, though usually with the mountain bike.

Pete Serotta
05-10-2011, 08:20 AM
Bear Mountain is among the most scenic and the climbs work the heart nicely :D Pete

crownjewelwl
05-10-2011, 08:23 AM
beautiful view and beautiful bike!

ergott
05-10-2011, 08:27 AM
Nice! I want to head up to Bear at least once this summer.

Too much contrast for me. What camera did you use?

If I may:
http://ergottwheels.smugmug.com/Other/Posted-pics/i-H7j7DnZ/0/O/Corrected.jpg

Mike748
05-10-2011, 08:32 AM
I like the orig better, more dramatic.

Not obscuring the beauty of the drop outs wasn't discussed in the skewer position thread!

ergott
05-10-2011, 08:37 AM
I like the orig better, more dramatic.

Not obscuring the beauty of the drop outs wasn't discussed in the skewer position thread!

Could be my laptop, but I can't see the darks.

AngryScientist
05-10-2011, 08:56 AM
nice - i havent been up there yet this season, but maybe this weekend. beautiful bike.

bicycletricycle
05-10-2011, 09:01 AM
photo snobs strike again :)

Dave Wages
05-10-2011, 09:53 AM
Damn I miss the mountains of NY!

Nice to see the shiny beauty is getting out of the City from time to time. With all the miles you're getting in, you're going to kick my butt at D2R2.

BTW, I like your pic better... My two cents. :beer:

Cheers,
Dave

echappist
05-10-2011, 10:09 AM
Nice pic and nice bike. Thanks for sharing. Was this as part of the Gran Fondo?

How crazy was the GF? As in, I hope it wasn't a crash fest as it had the full potential to be one.

I went out Sunday with just enough provisions to ride to Bear Mountain from NYC if I was inclined, so once I passed Nyack (home of Edward Hopper), the traditional turn-around when riding from the city, I kept on.

That's the thing about Nyack: lots of famous artists and writers lived there. I can't recall who else has lived there, but it's a pretty respectable list.

Bobbo
05-10-2011, 10:23 AM
Great pic. Beautiful machine, nicely set up.

fatallightning
05-10-2011, 10:51 AM
Nice pic and nice bike. Thanks for sharing. Was this as part of the Gran Fondo?

How crazy was the GF? As in, I hope it wasn't a crash fest as it had the full potential to be one.

That's the thing about Nyack: lots of famous artists and writers lived there. I can't recall who else has lived there, but it's a pretty respectable list.
helen hayes, bill murray, etc.

the gfny, all things considered, went pretty smoothly and without a hitch. i work at piermont bike and we were the first rest stop.

torquer
05-10-2011, 01:49 PM
In college, I visited a friend's home in Nyack, and he pointed out the home of a local celebrity: Mad Magazine's Don Martin.
http://www.comicbookbin.com/artman2/uploads/5/DonMartin.jpg
Roseanne Barr came later.

54ny77
05-10-2011, 02:01 PM
stellar in every way. nicely done! :beer: :cool:

bumknees
05-10-2011, 02:51 PM
Beautiful bike. I love doing the Bear Mountain ride. If you tell people who aren't locals that you rode up Bear Mountain, they get impressed. It should be called Bear Long Scenic Hill.

I wish I could ride there more often, but with my son about to turn 3, I feel more and more guilty heading out of the house for 5-7 hour rides...

DHallerman
05-11-2011, 07:58 AM
helen hayes, bill murray, etc.

the gfny, all things considered, went pretty smoothly and without a hitch. i work at piermont bike and we were the first rest stop.

Reminds me of a quote from Helen Hayes I love.

Quick background, for those not from the NYC metro area: Cyclists swarm through Nyack -- the Hudson River town where she lived -- throughout the year.

And here's the quote. When asked in an interview if she regretted anything in life, Helen Hayes said: "I never rode a bicycle. I wish I had. That’s all."

Wow!

Fixed
05-11-2011, 08:27 AM
i never forgot climbing it ,new york state is beautiful
cheers

Bob Ross
05-11-2011, 11:13 AM
In college, I visited a friend's home in Nyack, and he pointed out the home of a local celebrity: Mad Magazine's Don Martin.

Wow... I grew up in West Nyack, read a ton of Mad Magazine as a kid, and I had no idea Don was a neighbor!