PDA

View Full Version : Campy Shamal/Vento, Mavic Cosmic questions

dvancleve
05-09-2011, 01:17 PM
Howdy folks.

I have been looking for wheels like these for an early to mid-90s aero(ish) bike build. It turns out they go for big bucks on eBay, so I am thinking about building some wheels in that style. How did they (Campy in particular) get away with such low (12, 16) spoke counts? Are the rims super beefy, is the tension crazy high, or are the wheels not particularly stout?

Is it possible to build something similar with affordable, currently available components? I would want silver rims, so I think that leaves Velocity Deep Vs and Kinlin XR-300s (there are several other tallish rims, but not available in silver as far as I can tell). How low a spoke count with those rims would still result in strong wheels? It seems like 20/24 would probably be okay, could I go lower than 20 in front? 16 and 18 are doable, using every other hole in a 32 or 36 spoke front hub. I would probably do a 24 spoke triplet lace in back, already did one wheel that way and was pleased with the results.

Thanks, Doug

ultraman6970
05-09-2011, 02:20 PM
The issue is that if you go costume you might get over or even really close to the price of a set of ventos for example.

U can build something in the cheap but usually when u get to pick up the hubs u are stuck with a 100 to 200 bucks bill in your CC. Then the rims... the kinlin rim u are talking about is like 80 bucks a pop, plus the spokes that is maybe 50 bucks in both wheels. Add the price and u get close (if not over) to a khamsim for example. Forgot, add 50 bucks minimum in labor.

Yes u are right, rims are stiffer now than 25 years ago, bigger tension and better spokes.

If your budget is around 300 bucks and you are not a weight crazy...

These are good stuff...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Miche-AXY-Connect-Wheelset-Campy-Compatible-/160486072463?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item255db7208f

(i have a pair, i weight 200 pounds, reliable and at that price is a steal, market price is 600 bucks, use regular bladed spokes that u can get anywhere also)

Campagnolo Khamsin is about 200 + shipping at ebay, u can't get closer to tihs price going custom.

Maybe some other brand here and there, maybe used?? lotta people with wheels here in the forums, maybe somebody have something?

Germany_chris
05-09-2011, 02:26 PM
The issue is that if you go costume you might get over or even really close to the price of a set of ventos for example.

U can build something in the cheap but usually when u get to pick up the hubs u are stuck with a 100 to 200 bucks bill in your CC. Then the rims... the kinlin rim u are talking about is like 80 bucks a pop, plus the spokes that is maybe 50 bucks in both wheels. Add the price and u get close (if not over) to a khamsim for example. Forgot, add 50 bucks minimum in labor.

Yes u are right, rims are stiffer now than 25 years ago, bigger tension and better spokes.

If your budget is around 300 bucks and you are not a weight crazy...

These are good stuff...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Miche-AXY-Connect-Wheelset-Campy-Compatible-/160486072463?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item255db7208f

(i have a pair, i weight 200 pounds, reliable and at that price is a steal, market price is 600 bucks, use regular bladed spokes that u can get anywhere also)

Campagnolo Khamsin is about 200 + shipping at ebay, u can't get closer to tihs price going custom.

Maybe some other brand here and there, maybe used?? lotta people with wheels here in the forums, maybe somebody have something?

Or you can buy a pair from me for half that.. :D ;)

zap
05-09-2011, 04:00 PM
snip

How did they (Campy in particular) get away with such low (12, 16) spoke counts? Are the rims super beefy, is the tension crazy high, or are the wheels not particularly stout?

First gen Campy Shamal (16 front) had a good reputation. Later versions with 12 spoke front were not so reliable.

The rims are quite strong (and heavy, 600 g I think for ea. rim) with high spoke tension. I understand that the rims are quite difficult to make.

My wife has a set of 650c Shamal superleggera that she really enjoys.

ultraman6970
05-09-2011, 05:58 PM
Ok ok, chriss... what do you have for sell? :P

Germany_chris
05-09-2011, 11:39 PM
Ok ok, chriss... what do you have for sell? :P

Khamsin wheel-set..

rice rocket
05-10-2011, 12:33 AM
I don't think a Kinlin XR-300 would even come close to matching the panache of an older Campy wheelset. The finish on the Campy wheelset is a machined polish finish, vs the dull silver paint of the Kinlin. Here's the XR-270 (3mm shorter).

http://home.comcast.net/~spanky10/kinlin.JPG

vs.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1094/5148950909_b64eb59580_b.jpg

http://66.147.244.179/~vintagm8/sites/default/files/images/1996_r700_web.preview.jpg

The Campy wheels show up on eBay every now and then. There's two sets of Shamals on there right now, one buy it now @ $525, and one at 99 cents with no bids.

LouDeeter
05-10-2011, 06:44 AM
Concerning Shamal from the 90s, story here: In mid-90s, I went to the Airlines Abandoned Property store in Scottsboro AL with my wife. They had a lot of cycling stuff, including a set of like new Shamal wheels. I tried like heck to get them, but the price they were asking was close to retail. Most of the other stuff was priced like garage sale, cheap. But, not the Shamal wheels. Those were pretty then and they are pretty now.

ultraman6970
05-10-2011, 08:15 AM
Khamsin wheel-set..

$$??