PDA

View Full Version : Bmx!!!

jh_on_the_cape
05-09-2011, 09:31 AM
Cape Cod BMX had an open house on Saturday and I went with my 6 year old. He wiped out on the first jump (climb for him!) and cried and wanted to go home. We sat down and watched other kids wiping out and dusting off and getting back on and continuing. So he went for it again. "stand up and pedal!!" He did it! I ran around behind him for his next couple of laps. Then I grabbed my Ted Wojcik 29er SS rigid bike and did a few laps with him.

"AWESOME!!!" "MOST FUNNEST THING I HAVE EVER DONE, EVERRRR!!!" Just a few quotes. So much for those ski tickets last winter. Should have built a BMX track in the backyard. Would have been cheaper!

It was just so great to see a kid (my kid!) fail, cry, then try again and succeed and get that reward. I feel like parenting these days is about 'building confidence' which has turned into never letting a kid fail and get discouraged so they feel confident. Which is just bogus confidence.

Some buddies from kindergarten came to watch and that was another booster. We did 9 laps. We also watched a demo race with the regular teenage kids. One kid is a factory rider and OH MY GOD was he fast and fluid around that track. Amazing skills.

Then on Sunday, my 4 year old daughter wanted to take off the training wheels. She rode around the circle from the get-go. I was shocked! She just needs help starting and stopping now. She does not bike much, but had been riding the push-bike I made her. Just solo on the side while her brothers played soccer. So determined, that little girl is.

Sorry, but had to share. I am super proud if you can't tell!!!!

pitcrew
05-09-2011, 09:34 AM
Tell him congrats!!....from someone who has had his fair share of wipe outs!

AngryScientist
05-09-2011, 09:36 AM
nice! love these stories.

there is something about the beginning of spring that makes everyone (kids included) want to get out and do stuff. you sound like a good dad. keep up the good work.

arcadian
05-09-2011, 11:46 AM
Good stuff. I have been doing the same thing with my 6 and 3 year old. Some of the big jumps are like climbs to them.

You can get a pretty good workout running around the track trying to make sure your kids don't eat to badly.