PDA

View Full Version : Standard Crank to Compact Crank

Chuck Hammer
05-09-2011, 08:10 AM
I'd like to do some of my own wrenching ...

I want to swap out an FSA Team Standard Crank for an FSA SLK Compact. I thought I may be able to do this my self with out changing the BB and going to the LBS. Is there anythig else I might need to know? Like do I need a shorter chain etc...

Thanks!

ultraman6970
05-09-2011, 08:37 AM
I believe both canksets come in megaexo, so if you have that already doubt you will have a problem. Now if what u got is bb30 and the bike is not bb30, then u have a big problem.

As for the chain, you might need to take 2 links out maybe.

Good luck.

oldpotatoe
05-09-2011, 08:39 AM
I'd like to do some of my own wrenching ...

I want to swap out an FSA Team Standard Crank for an FSA SLK Compact. I thought I may be able to do this my self with out changing the BB and going to the LBS. Is there anythig else I might need to know? Like do I need a shorter chain etc...

Thanks!

Shorten the chain, lower the FD...that's all.

jroden
05-09-2011, 08:46 AM
The FSA website has a table that lists cranks and bottom brackets and spacers, take a minute to study this and be aware that sometimes the spacer will stick to the grease on the back side of the crank and fall on the floor when you are not looking, or at least mine do.

I found the spacers and variety of BB's a little frustrating and have been trying to avoid the FSA in favor of shimano when I can just for ease of service on my part.

But as long as the BB and spacer deal is correct you should be set. Check the bearings also, these outboard BB's don't seem to always seal up perfectly.

buck-50
05-09-2011, 09:03 AM
Prepare to double shift a lot more.

That's the biggest thing I've noticed.