PDA

View Full Version : For you tall bike collectors....

bostondrunk
06-13-2005, 11:59 AM
the fine folks at nashbar have a sweet sale on a classic. Don't forget to find an online 10 or 20% discount code... :beer:

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=130&subcategory=1176&brand=&sku=13102&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

scrooge
06-13-2005, 12:16 PM
I thought you said TALL! 61.5 is medium, at best :D

William
06-13-2005, 12:24 PM
I thought you said TALL! 61.5 is medium, at best :D

The drunk thinks Rhea Basset is "tall". :rolleyes: He keeps asking me if he can put a saddle on her. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

William ;)

bostondrunk
06-13-2005, 12:38 PM
The drunk thinks Rhea Basset is "tall". :rolleyes: He keeps asking me if he can put a saddle on her. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

William ;)

Don't tell Sandy about that, he'll have me arrested for Basset Hound cruelty!
My gf keeps telling me she can't live with a basset hound. I keep telling her to find a new man... :beer:

William
06-13-2005, 01:03 PM
Don't tell Sandy about that, he'll have me arrested for Basset Hound cruelty!
My gf keeps telling me she can't live with a basset hound. I keep telling her to find a new man... :beer:

Stick to yer guns BD!! :banana:

William

Too Tall
06-13-2005, 01:13 PM
If only I was S. Kelly sigh. Cool find drunkone.
BD and BigWilly, at the Raleigh criterium there was a gal sporting 4 Bassett Hounds!!! She was wearing a Bassett rescue Tee shirt. Even though I was beat to ****e from the crit I just had to stop and get some dog love. Those dogs are all heart and the ears are nearly as nice as Std. poodles ;) Haha after a little sweet talk I got all four on their backs gettin' some tummy scratches.

PS - clinchers suck.

William
06-13-2005, 01:22 PM
Rhea Basset came into our family from a situation where the owner chose the other option. Her previous owner had her from a pup. She picked up a new boyfriend who didn't like RB, moved in with the girl and made her keep RB in a crate the majority of the time. He finally gave the women an ultimatum, him or the dog. Luckily for Rhea Basset, she chose the boyfriend. She did a very brief stint at a shelter and then went to the Basset Hound Rescue of Alabama (bhra: www.bhra.org/ ) before we adopted her.

And before anyone gets any ideas....NO ONE RIDES RHEA BASSET!!
:no:

BD and BigWilly, at the Raleigh criterium there was a gal sporting 4 Bassett Hounds!!! She was wearing a Bassett rescue Tee shirt. Even though I was beat to ****e from the crit I just had to stop and get some dog love. Those dogs are all heart and the ears are nearly as nice as Std. poodles Haha after a little sweet talk I got all four on their backs gettin' some tummy scratches.

Too Tall, You got the Basset belly ~Looooooove~ going on! :D :cool:

William

PS: Vitus too small and yes...clinchers suck! :)

Too Tall
06-13-2005, 01:25 PM
The object of the belly scratch is to find the "secret dog spot" that make em' act all stupid hehe.

Brian Smith
06-13-2005, 04:15 PM
the fine folks at nashbar have a sweet sale on a classic.

awwwwwwwwwww.......
Classic?
Wow, I always hated those things, I even re-bonded a seat tube into one once - what a waste!
About the only thing flexier I've tried was a Fuji Titanium frameset which used the same tube (28.6 x 1.1) for top, seat, and down tubes, and came with a ti-bladed fork to boot. With single pivot brakes, I bounced the front tire off the down tube on a test ride! Yikes! Ok, well, the Vitus is a tiny bit better than THAT, but there is a reason that the frame sizes that are available still are the larger of those that were made....larger riders especially disliked them.

You know what? I think I'm just really slow, and BD is being funny. Good one!

Louis
06-13-2005, 07:15 PM
Well, maybe I'm a fool, but I ordered one of these. Less than $300 delivered... If it was good enough for Sean Kelly it should be good enough for me (although I doubt he ever weighed 12.86 stone).

They look sexy as heck, we'll see how it works out. Worst case, it will become wall art, which won't be too bad, at that price.

Louis

Spinsistah
06-13-2005, 07:24 PM
The object of the belly scratch is to find the "secret dog spot" that make em' act all stupid hehe.
When I scratch my Shih Tzu Jazz on the chest, her back right leg goes like crazy. You're right, Too Tall, their eyes glaze and they look so silly. It's the spots they can't reach themselves, like the place right above the base of the tail.

dave thompson
06-13-2005, 07:52 PM
hehehe........

bostondrunk
06-13-2005, 09:54 PM
Well, maybe I'm a fool, but I ordered one of these. Less than $300 delivered... If it was good enough for Sean Kelly it should be good enough for me (although I doubt he ever weighed 12.86 stone).

They look sexy as heck, we'll see how it works out. Worst case, it will become wall art, which won't be too bad, at that price.

Louis

Actually the drunk would have bought one too if they had smaller sizes. I always thought they were pretty cool, even if they weren't built to last forever. At about $245 (with a 10% discount code) its a pretty sweet deal on a decent frame.

Louis
06-22-2005, 11:01 PM
Well, I received the Vitus yesterday. Nice frame, as I expected. The anodized tubes are kind of neat. Inside under the lights they are red, under the sun they turn a bit orange.

Overall the quality is fine. No welds or lug shorelines of course, but the joints all seem straight and clean. They used some type of epoxy and in the paperwork that comes with the frame, Vitus tells you which joints you can re-bond yourself, if you have to! Let’s hope that doesn’t have to be done. They say to leave the major joints to the pros. Since the glue is nearly twenty years old that’s one of the things that has me a bit concerned, but this isn’t going to be a daily rider anyway, and it won’t see much hard use.

Other than the joints, the only other thing that I’m a bit concerned about is the seat tube clamping system. They use a set screw in the seat lug, which presses against the post. We’ll see how that works out.

The rear dropouts are currently at about 125 mm. It did not take a very large amount of force to spread them to 130 so a buddy who is Strength engineer at work and I concluded that I can safely use modern hubs and cassettes. That makes it a lot easier to figure out what to use for the drivetrain. Constant static loads don’t contribute to fatigue, so I don’t think that will be an issue for the glued joints.

It will be a while until this is built up, but it will be interesting to see how it rides.

Louis

JasonF
06-23-2005, 08:01 AM
Since I was always a spinner and couldn't mash on the pedals with any force, I loved my 979. $229 is an insane price...I believe I paid $450 for the frame back in '88, at the Nashbar retail store in Northern Virginia.

Like an idiot, I threw it in the trash when we moved several years ago.