PDA

View Full Version : Cheap GPS

khjr
05-08-2011, 05:08 PM
Just moved to a new area and am repeatedly getting lost + don't have time in my current life/work schedule to memorize the map like I used to. What's the consensus on the best GPS to find one's way around? Don't need any of the bells/whistles, although a tripometer / ave speed function would be nice.

Yes I've used the search function- the Garmin 705 sounds like a hot ticket, but the $3-$400 used (w/maps) price tag is a bit high for me, especially since I've never owned a GPS (car or bike...)

What about the eTrex? Good enough?

Opinions?

Alan
05-08-2011, 05:25 PM
If you want the cheapest price look at the Bryton units. The least expensive model was about $130 before Garmin got an injunction to stop them from selling. It will be interesting to see what happens.

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/bryton-rider-50-and-rider-30-gps-units-first-look-28318/

I'd like to get one as they are also compatible w all Ant+ devices so you can use the Garmin sensors which are very reasonably priced on Amazon and other sites. I always root for the little guy which in this case is not Garmin.

Alan

khjr
05-08-2011, 05:31 PM
If you want the cheapest price look at the Bryton units. The least expensive model was about $130 before Garmin got an injunction to stop them from selling. It will be interesting to see what happens.

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/bryton-rider-50-and-rider-30-gps-units-first-look-28318/

I'd like to get one as they are also compatible w all Ant+ devices so you can use the Garmin sensors which are very reasonably priced on Amazon and other sites. I always root for the little guy which in this case is not Garmin.

Alan

Thanks - fyi - the lowest price I could find for the 50T was around $300 new on eBay.

markie
05-08-2011, 05:38 PM
I am enjoying having a phone with gps. iPhone 4 for me. I just arrived somewhere new and it just saved me from heading off, too far, in the wrong direction.

weiwentg
05-08-2011, 05:43 PM
I would do the phone with GPS. The 705 isn't really usable on the fly in the same way as a car's GPS is. that said, if you're on the market for a 705, I might be looking to sell mine (PM me)

jroden
05-08-2011, 05:46 PM
the etrex can be equiped with a handlebar mount. It's kind of chunky and you will need to use some kind of battery you can recharge but it will at least point you toward home or give you a breadcrumb trail.

it doesn't have any base maps though, so perhaps you might keep looking for a unit that shows the roads? For the car they are cheap, not sure about a portable hand held unit with map display, maybe 300 bucks?

The etrex is like a compass and will give you distance and speed, but won't tell you if Cow Hollow road is a dead end.

I bet this guy with a handlebar mount would be good:

http://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-Etrex-Legend-H-GPS-Navigator-P1991.aspx

khjr
05-08-2011, 06:52 PM
I am enjoying having a phone with gps. iPhone 4 for me. I just arrived somewhere new and it just saved me from heading off, too far, in the wrong direction.
Thanks. I would spring for an iPhone, but have a company funded Blackberry curve that I use for phone and email (business and personal), so can't really justify spending the monthly fee for iPhone service. The Blackberry does have a Navigator application but my company won't pay for it's use.

khjr
05-08-2011, 06:54 PM
the etrex can be equiped with a handlebar mount. It's kind of chunky and you will need to use some kind of battery you can recharge but it will at least point you toward home or give you a breadcrumb trail.

it doesn't have any base maps though, so perhaps you might keep looking for a unit that shows the roads? For the car they are cheap, not sure about a portable hand held unit with map display, maybe 300 bucks?

The etrex is like a compass and will give you distance and speed, but won't tell you if Cow Hollow road is a dead end.

I bet this guy with a handlebar mount would be good:

http://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-Etrex-Legend-H-GPS-Navigator-P1991.aspx

Thanks. no problem at all with bulk and batteries, as I'm not sure how much I'll use it after I get to know the best routes in the area.

The eTrex Legend that you linked me to appears to have base maps - i.e. would appear to show the roads.

jroden
05-08-2011, 07:30 PM
yes, i was surprised to see one in that price range that shows roads, it seems like a nice option, plus has usb interface. i had the yellow etrex and it had serial interface, which is useless

Ken Robb
05-08-2011, 09:06 PM
I bought a GPS/Depth finder for my boat from The GPS Store in Carolina. They have a huge selection, smart people and good prices. Delivery to California took a couple of days.
I would buy from them again.

rice rocket
05-08-2011, 11:31 PM
Costco has the Garmin Edge 605 for $199 shipped.

Louis
05-08-2011, 11:58 PM
This may sound so 20'th century, but how about making a photo-copy of the map area in which you are going to ride? Or printing out something from Google Maps? (you said you don't have much time, but doing this can't take more than just a few minutes)

Certainly cheap, and before long you'll know all the roads and won't need any help anyway.

LesMiner
05-09-2011, 06:46 AM
I am with Louis, you need to be adventurous. A gps will not give you road conditions or traffic levels. Even though you can monitor elevation, it can be a lot different when actually climbing. Gps or not you will ultimately learn routes by landmarks.

khjr
05-09-2011, 08:13 PM
I am with Louis, you need to be adventurous. A gps will not give you road conditions or traffic levels. Even though you can monitor elevation, it can be a lot different when actually climbing. Gps or not you will ultimately learn routes by landmarks.
I've got you both beat in that regard, as I've plotted entire rides by writing directions on the back of an envelope. That said, I was seeking advice on a cheap GPS, not how to live my life. I'm not sure what inspires such unsolicited pontification - e.g. I ride an old steel bike with home built wheels, but never once was inclined to soapbox when someone here posted a question about some carbon/ti widget they were interested in...

cetuximab
05-09-2011, 08:49 PM
I am in the middle of a four week visit to DC. I am from the West, so I am used to streets that run north and south intersecting with streets running west and east.

The GPS has been a life saver. It has been a great way to take detours through neighborhoods to avoid major roads.

I have found some really fun routes.

Get a cheap $100 car GPS online. I found one on newegg.com that has a 5 hour battery life.

Goto the settings and setup the map to display north up and south down.

I found a handlebar mount for $12 on amazon.

Louis
05-09-2011, 09:12 PM
Note to self:

Next time KHJR asks for advice be sure to answer the exact question he poses, and only that. Do not deviate one iota, lest you be accused of telling him how to live his life. Apparently he's a very sensitive chap.

BobbyJones
05-09-2011, 09:56 PM
If you pre-plan a little bit, you can use an inexpensive Garmin Foreunner 305.

I upload routes in advance and it has a crude mapping function where you're represented by an arrow following a line. You can follow your route or deviate a little bit and you can just head in the right direction to pick back up your little black line. It's not much but it has replaced cue sheets and maps for me. Not only do I not get lost (accidentially) anymore, but it lets me ride instead of looking at cue sheets, etc.

It also has a "back to start" function that will at least let you retrace your route if you haven't pre-programmed a route to follow.

Bonus is it does every thing else as well: HR, Laps, Programmable Workouts and Cadence if you spring for a sensor. A realistic 8-10 hour battery life is nice. You can also use it running, hiking, etc.

All this for about 125 bucks. I like 'em so much I have two.

Let me know if you need more explanation about the mapping functions.

khjr
05-10-2011, 05:41 PM
If you pre-plan a little bit, you can use an inexpensive Garmin Foreunner 305.

I upload routes in advance and it has a crude mapping function where you're represented by an arrow following a line. You can follow your route or deviate a little bit and you can just head in the right direction to pick back up your little black line. It's not much but it has replaced cue sheets and maps for me. Not only do I not get lost (accidentially) anymore, but it lets me ride instead of looking at cue sheets, etc.

It also has a "back to start" function that will at least let you retrace your route if you haven't pre-programmed a route to follow.

Bonus is it does every thing else as well: HR, Laps, Programmable Workouts and Cadence if you spring for a sensor. A realistic 8-10 hour battery life is nice. You can also use it running, hiking, etc.

All this for about 125 bucks. I like 'em so much I have two.

Let me know if you need more explanation about the mapping functions.
That sounds pretty close to ideal - Thanks!!!

:)

BobbyJones
05-10-2011, 11:24 PM
Oh..and a quick afterthought. If you do go that route, I've heard too many stories about people using the QR bike mount with 'em and having the unit fly off mid-ride.

I just wrapped some extra bar tape close to my stem and just mount it there with the regular straps.