PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo Bottom Bracket Cable Guide Question

jberenyi
05-08-2011, 02:44 PM
I have the long tail version of the black plastic cable guide. This is the popular one that everyone sells for Campy's. When I install it on my bike, the longer tail does not fully engage the bottom bracket to the end of the tail. Is this a problem for shifting? Will it flex in the gap area causing shifting issues? I also noticed that the Campy cable guide has a groove. Is this a trim line to make it a short tail version? I tried trimming it here but then my cable will hit the bottom bracket shell causing a rub condition. Would love to hear from others on my questions.

Craig Ryan
05-08-2011, 08:24 PM
Cut it to fit the length you need. I do it on all my bikes that need one.
Craig

Black Dog
05-08-2011, 08:26 PM
You can bend it a bit to conform to the shape of the bb shell. Or mount it, mark it, and cut it.

mpetry
05-08-2011, 11:25 PM
+1 on the above. A little cable rubbing will not hurt your bike. I have 40+ year old Alex Singer that has had the cable rubbing on the BB since year 1 and no issues.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA

akelman
05-08-2011, 11:29 PM
Let me be the first to suggest that you should cut it to size.

oldpotatoe
05-09-2011, 07:41 AM
I have the long tail version of the black plastic cable guide. This is the popular one that everyone sells for Campy's. When I install it on my bike, the longer tail does not fully engage the bottom bracket to the end of the tail. Is this a problem for shifting? Will it flex in the gap area causing shifting issues? I also noticed that the Campy cable guide has a groove. Is this a trim line to make it a short tail version? I tried trimming it here but then my cable will hit the bottom bracket shell causing a rub condition. Would love to hear from others on my questions.

Pull the FD cable tight when you install the cable(as you should anyway), it will compress the tail.

jberenyi
05-10-2011, 11:20 AM
With an $1100 paint job I think not. Plus it will cause extra resistance for me.

+1 on the above. A little cable rubbing will not hurt your bike. I have 40+ year old Alex Singer that has had the cable rubbing on the BB since year 1 and no issues.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA

jberenyi
05-10-2011, 11:26 AM
I installed the Campy cable guide and the long tail does not contact the bottom bracket shell. I will install the cables tonight and try it out. I like the Campy over Shimano because it's made of PTFE instead of nylon thereby lowering the resistance value of friction. My bikes hates resistance. My Campy group is a little less forgiving when it comes to flawless shifting if there is just a little cable resistance. Plus the Shimano version always cracks on me every year. The Shimano model which fits like a glove is the SP-18-T and its blue. And no I do not over tighten them. They just crack right through the bolt hole.

Pull the FD cable tight when you install the cable(as you should anyway), it will compress the tail.

jberenyi
05-10-2011, 04:03 PM
An ex bike mechanic gave me a great idea. Find a PVC pipe the same or close to the same diameter as my Ti bottom bracket. Get some cable and force it to take shape and apply a heat gunand let cool. Will try tonight.

I think a lot of people are missing the point that having a leg stick out that much in the air flexing with the changing cable tension will make it difficult to set the correct tension for the derailleur. Having it wrap better and closer to the bottom bracket will eliminate this issue. Not sure why many don't understand this concept. And trimming is not an option. Tried it and it didn't work. Trimming back only allowed the cable to rub on the bottom bracket due to Campy's profile being some much thinner.

Black Dog
05-10-2011, 07:39 PM
I assume that you are talking about the tail that goes to the FD. If so what is the big deal about a little bit sticking out, it will not effect the performance of the FD.

Don't be so hard on the folks here who were trying to help you out. It is a bike and there is no need to lash out if we don't get your OCD about your ride, we do get your technical problem and understand that it is not going to cause you any shifting issues with the FD. A few of the folks replying are active professional bike mechanics or former mechanics and know of what they say.

Perhaps if we really are dumb and don't just get it you could please post some pictures so we can offer you some more salient advice. We are, after all, working from your written description.

Craig Ryan
05-10-2011, 08:03 PM
jberenyi, that all seems like a lot of work. I'm not sure why you're having trouble. If you look at the steel BB below you can see how it works if you trim the tail on the front changer guide. What's different on your ti bike?
Craig

jberenyi
05-13-2011, 01:27 PM
Must be the diameter of mine. Anyhow, I used a heat gun and it worked great. Now the guide wraps all the way around. Glad my buddy thought of the heat gun approach. It only took one minute to solve and it was slicker than snot. Thanks everyone for your input. :beer:

jberenyi, that all seems like a lot of work. I'm not sure why you're having trouble. If you look at the steel BB below you can see how it works if you trim the tail on the front changer guide. What's different on your ti bike?
Craig

Craig Ryan
05-13-2011, 05:52 PM
Great to hear it worked out for you. I haven't tried the heat gun approach, looks like it's worth investigating.
Craig