PDA

View Full Version : Rapha Cycle Club San Francisco

pdmtong
05-08-2011, 02:29 PM
It's a well designed place that opened Thursday. And, lucky for me, literally half a block down the street from where my wife grew up and where my mother-in-law still lives (hi mom, uh, I'll be back in an hour). My wife was visiting her grandmother (who also lives down the street) on Friday, saw this weird vehicle and stopped in. I got to stop by saturday with my wife and daughter prior to family function.

It's got a library, a gallery, great coffee, big screens (on the wall to the left but not shown in the picture with the tablel), a cool vibe and of course all the goods, mens womens, city, paul smith. Tried on the $550 sportcoat (clever design) and some of the paul smith goodies. Biggest surprise was the new pro team goods are really nice - welded seams, great materials, this is not your sportwool rapha.

Seeing the "full range" in one place was cool. There are also two LBS near me that are part of the limited US in-store dealer group for Rapha so I've had a chance to see most things in person. Of course the brand generates a lot of emotion but I have to say that price aside, they offer some really clever pieces.

Never liked the tourmalet jersey on the web - seeing it in person confirmed that for me.

Folks working there (one has a RSL, which would be another thing to see) are very welcoming and if I could, I'd love to see some of the big stages in there with a bunch of other fans instead of by myself at 4:30am PST at home.

Was the place epic? Yes...it was pretty epic.

PoppaWheelie
05-08-2011, 03:32 PM
Cool..I'm going to try to join in the organized group ride they have planned on Thurs afternoon. Not sure I'll be able to keep up, but I'll at least get to check the shop out beforehand.

Anyone else going? I'll be the guy in the Rapha jersey.

zetroc
05-08-2011, 03:33 PM
Very cool. Don't suppose they have indoor bike parking?

pdmtong
05-08-2011, 06:30 PM
Very cool. Don't suppose they have indoor bike parking?

they do have indoor bike parking...for maybe 10? bikes....its to the left of the whole shop picture along the wall the big screens are mounted on

pdmtong
05-08-2011, 06:31 PM
Cool..I'm going to try to join in the organized group ride they have planned on Thurs afternoon. Not sure I'll be able to keep up, but I'll at least get to check the shop out beforehand.

Anyone else going? I'll be the guy in the Rapha jersey.

I'd like to do that too..but 2pm on thursday conflicts with work...

Hawker
05-08-2011, 07:33 PM
Very cool...however too cool? By that I mean that it doesn't look warm and friendly, looks a little too spartan and cold feeling. Dog is a nice touch though...can't go wrong with a yellow Lab. :)

pdmtong
05-08-2011, 07:39 PM
Very cool...however too cool? By that I mean that it doesn't look warm and friendly, looks a little to spartan and cold feeling. Dog is a nice touch though...can't go wrong with a yellow Lab. :)
the place may look austere, but the folks working there were very very friendly and not at all stand-off-ish

coelacant
05-08-2011, 09:41 PM
Where's the bike parking inside? :rolleyes: you think they'd let you bring it in? this is definitely worth checking out.

C

pdmtong
05-08-2011, 10:01 PM
Where's the bike parking inside? :rolleyes: you think they'd let you bring it in? this is definitely worth checking out.

C
see that glass case? bike parking to the left along the wall (not in the picture). two big screens above the bike parking

coelacant
05-08-2011, 10:47 PM
My bad, I now see that you already answered that earlier. Should 've read all the posting first.

Louis
05-08-2011, 11:28 PM
Being uber-cool hip, yet into old-fashioned French and Italian cycling is IMO a difficult line to follow.

Best of luck to them. It's always good to see anything related to cycling succeed, whether it's your kind of stuff of not.

pdmtong
05-09-2011, 12:32 PM
Being uber-cool hip, yet into old-fashioned French and Italian cycling is IMO a difficult line to follow.

Best of luck to them. It's always good to see anything related to cycling succeed, whether it's your kind of stuff of not.

They "advertise" as a gathering spot for cycling, and open early so people can watch the stages together. Clothing aside, you gotta love that. Not sure if they have free wireless or not