PDA

View Full Version : Fly or Ship Bikes

BrownBear
05-08-2011, 12:21 PM
I will be traveling to California in less than two weeks for a training camp and have to bring my track and road bike and possibly my set of race wheels for my track bike. I am considering flying with both of them or shipping one or maybe two of them. Also, I will be flying from Chicago to LA

If I want to fly with both of my bikes, which airline is cheaper? Or would people recommend shipping them instead?

jmoore
05-08-2011, 12:58 PM
I will be traveling to California in less than two weeks for a training camp and have to bring my track and road bike and possibly my set of race wheels for my track bike. I am considering flying with both of them or shipping one or maybe two of them. Also, I will be flying from Chicago to LA

If I want to fly with both of my bikes, which airline is cheaper? Or would people recommend shipping them instead?

Ship them. It will be cheaper than flying with them and my view is that they will be better taken care of using FedEx than the airlines. Round trip for one bike from Dallas to PHX is about $65 each way. Well worth it for an expesive bike. A high quality bike box is a must. I use a Trek Madone bike from my LBS.

PaulE
05-08-2011, 07:38 PM
If you have a larger frame, think about TSA opening your bike box and getting back together as nicely as you packed it. My 60 cm Legend just fits in a Trico case and I wouldn't want someone else opening the box and closing it back up.

I don't think the airlines will do much for you if your bike is lost or damaged. I think you'd have better luck with Fed Ex if you ship it insured and something bad happens.

Dekonick
05-08-2011, 07:47 PM
Use the training gun trick if you fly - buy a plastic training gun - the kind used in self defense classes. Put it in the case, declare it at the desk and have TSA come inspect and tag the box. It should keep the luggage safe from gorilla tactics... or so I have heard. I don't travel all that much anymore. Too much of a PITA.

fogrider
05-08-2011, 08:05 PM
someone just posted on this site that Frontier Airlines will fly your bike for free with a classic fare ticket. it is a little more than the economy ticket. 2 weeks is pretty short notice.