PDA

View Full Version : SPOILER - Giro

130R
05-08-2011, 10:20 AM
WOW. The giro pretty much lost all credibility with me on the first weekend. That last km showed Pettachi blatantly cutting off HTC and they still gave him the win. What the heck!?

thoughts?

Grant McLean
05-08-2011, 10:28 AM
WOW. The giro pretty much lost all credibility with me on the first weekend.

thoughts?

I think that's a bit of an overreaction. It was only marginal that Cav was
impeded in any way, 'Sandro was well ahead, certainly no 'danger' for Cav.
It's not a spin class. If Cav wasn't protesting so much ...almost before the line
maybe he could have won the sprint... he got jumped by a faster guy,
and lost. All the whining just makes him look like the loser. He needs to
get down to biz.

The Eurosport commentators mentioned Petacchi has been doing that same
move for a while now, in several sprints at last years Vuelta, not a problem
at that race either.

-g

e-RICHIE
05-08-2011, 10:39 AM
RobbieHunter: Good job by Petacchi, nothing wrong with his sprint..some ppl just don't know how to lose..

Spin71
05-08-2011, 11:17 AM
It's a sprint, not a Sunday family ride around the local MUP.

jpw
05-08-2011, 12:10 PM
A clear double block by AP, but in Italy it has to be at least three and not an Italian for a relegazione penalty. I'm reminded of Cavendish being relegated for far less on the TdF for 'blocking' (allegedly) Hushovd one year.

AP thinks he's now won 27 Giro stages, and continues to count 5 he lost due to a failed drugs test.

e-RICHIE
05-08-2011, 12:17 PM
MarkCavendish: ...teams who have a prejudice against me. So I'm sorry to Pettachi for taking my frustration out on him. What happened today is sprinting...

jpw
05-08-2011, 12:32 PM
MarkCavendish: ...teams who have a prejudice against me. So I'm sorry to Pettachi for taking my frustration out on him. What happened today is sprinting...

HTC's PR machine was a bit slow with that one :-).

Tim
05-08-2011, 01:08 PM
Cav got beaten by a faster rider. Petacchi was ahead the whole way. True, he did move around, but he never rode Cav into the barriers or seriously cut off his line. The fact that Cav could move from right to left behind Petacchi to try to come around him on the left just before the line, shows us that he had plenty of room to play with.
He should be happy he's in pink.

thegunner
05-08-2011, 01:26 PM
Cav got beaten by a faster rider. Petacchi was ahead the whole way. True, he did move around, but he never rode Cav into the barriers or seriously cut off his line. The fact that Cav could move from right to left behind Petacchi to try to come around him on the left just before the line, shows us that he had plenty of room to play with.
He should be happy he's in pink.

agree with this, but not the rest. a bike + rider is maybe 3' at widest, obviously cav can go around this, but at the expense of speed. no he was never in serious danger of crashing, but that doesn't mean he wasn't impeded in grand fashion. as for petacchi being faster? it was way close at the finish line... even with cav having to change directions multiple times. imho, petacchi wasn't the faster rider.

^^coming from someone who usually hates cav's idiotic antics

^^coming from someone who hates petacchi's attitude of "27 wins even though i doped for 5 of them... they still count'

echappist
05-08-2011, 01:55 PM
agree with this, but not the rest. a bike + rider is maybe 3' at widest, obviously cav can go around this, but at the expense of speed. no he was never in serious danger of crashing, but that doesn't mean he wasn't impeded in grand fashion. as for petacchi being faster? it was way close at the finish line... even with cav having to change directions multiple times. imho, petacchi wasn't the faster rider.

^^coming from someone who usually hates cav's idiotic antics

^^coming from someone who hates petacchi's attitude of "27 wins even though i doped for 5 of them... they still count'
that's the fact of a sprint. Unless it's blatant, it's par for the course.

Of course, you've never contended for a sprint win, so i'll allow you to slide on this :p

thegunner
05-08-2011, 04:17 PM
that's the fact of a sprint. Unless it's blatant, it's par for the course.

Of course, you've never contended for a sprint win, so i'll allow you to slide on this :p

oh but it was blatant imho. one time = maybe. twice? no.

i'd take offense that second statement, but for someone who's been racing for much longer than myself, i'd say we're about even right now *whistles* :rolleyes:

1centaur
05-08-2011, 04:23 PM
Why did Petacchi move so far (20 feet?) from right to left to get in front of Cavendish? That slowed down Petacchi's progress to the line as well. Was that a conscious move, or just a random inability to go in a straight line?

echappist
05-08-2011, 04:31 PM
oh but it was blatant imho. one time = maybe. twice? no.

i'd take offense that second statement, but for someone who's been racing for much longer than myself, i'd say we're about even right now *whistles* :rolleyes:

we are "even" when you can finish a road race within half a minute of my finishing time. Last time i checked, you rolled in 3:40 down.

As for blatant, this is blatant

http://youtu.be/_L8VLgLX7AM

PS. Gah, someone teach me how to embed youtube clips

Climb01742
05-08-2011, 05:02 PM
cav needs to let his legs do his talking. his mouth always makes him sound like a 5 year old.

Johnny P
05-08-2011, 08:03 PM
That didn't look very blatant to me. I think they made the right call.

mike p
05-08-2011, 08:05 PM
I'm a Cav fan, but he lost that one fair and square! He miss timed it. Should have started his sprint earlier. He's messed up in the head right now and needs to get his mojo back!

Mike

Elefantino
05-08-2011, 08:11 PM
Did Garmin-Cervelo abandon? Didn't see them at the end.

Maybe Vaughters told them to back off in the last 500 meters.

rice rocket
05-08-2011, 08:33 PM
I'm a Cav fan, but he lost that one fair and square! He miss timed it. Should have started his sprint earlier. He's messed up in the head right now and needs to get his mojo back!

Mike

Yeah, I couldn't see anything in the overhead shot that seemed blatant.

That Venge looks hot, and I normally despise Specialized bikes and their curved top tube.

thegunner
05-08-2011, 09:03 PM
That didn't look very blatant to me. I think they made the right call.

maybe i just hate petacchi :D

jpw
05-09-2011, 04:14 AM
we are "even" when you can finish a road race within half a minute of my finishing time. Last time i checked, you rolled in 3:40 down.

As for blatant, this is blatant

http://youtu.be/_L8VLgLX7AM

PS. Gah, someone teach me how to embed youtube clips

It's an interesting clip. The head action takes the spotlight but the Renshaw/ Farrar moment later on is of interest, and in particular the comment made about Renshaw moving off his line towards Farrar. AP was all over the road in front of Cavendish.