PDA

View Full Version : Shower Pass sizing

godfrey1112000
05-08-2011, 08:28 AM
Showers Pass Elite 2.0 Jacket

Shower Pass Double Century

Numerous threads all good on the shower pass product,

could someone tell me how the fit is, do they fit snug, normal or Large(bagy flapper)

I am a 41/42 chest so the medium or large would be the issue

my friend is 6'5" 50/51 chest so xxl is the only consideration

is the Elite 2.0 worth the extra cash

thanks for the help

this would be used only in the rain, Colorado Mountains, I have plenty of winter jackets

R2D2
05-08-2011, 08:41 AM
You could probably wear either Medium or Lagre.
Medium would be a snugg fit w/o much rrom for many layers.
But keep in mind the shoulders area could be a litttle tight and sleeves a touch too short in a Medium.
The sleves are long in the large but work well when on the bike on the hoods or drops. Plus there's more room for thicker layers for cold and wet weather.
REI is a nice place to try one or the other on if you have one handy.

John M
05-08-2011, 08:41 AM
The different SP jackets have a slightly different cut, some more trim, others like the Touring a bit more full cut. The Elite is more in between. I have an Elite 2.0 in size Medium. I think you would find the Medium to be a bit tight. I wear a size 40 suit coat and the medium fits me well. The sleeves are a bit on the longer side, which is good for me.

"Worth" is relative, but for me, the Elite has been an excellent commuting jacket and after two years of use in Seattle (probably worn 8-9 months/year here), it has held up relatively well. The venting is good, so it is still useful as a rain jacket in warmer, but wet weather.

CNY rider
05-08-2011, 09:09 AM
I am 5'6", about 150 and have the Elite in size medium.
I like the way it fits and I think it would be too small for you.
Go for the Large.

eddief
05-08-2011, 09:37 AM
Very different jackets.

The Double is quite packable and the Elite is more bulky.

I love the Elite, but probably could not ever get it in a jersey pocket. When I take it off, it gets tied around my waist.

The Elite has a material inside that I find comfortable against clothing...but more importantly is also comfortable next to bare skin. I believe the Double has coated fabric on the inside and that stuff is cold and sticky against moist skin.

I am 5'11" and close to 200lbs. The large Elite is a perfect fit that allows base layer, jersey, wind vest, wind jacket to be worn underneath. Not flappy with or without those things underneath.

PacNW2Ford
05-08-2011, 11:44 AM
When I take it off, it gets tied around my waste.

Ewwwwww!!

eddief
05-08-2011, 11:50 AM
the jacket gets caught on my glasses-mounted rear view mirror.

PacNW2Ford
05-08-2011, 11:55 AM
it gets caught on my glasses-mounted rear view mirror.

Oh, your "waist", not your "waste"... That makes a difference :)

eddief
05-08-2011, 12:00 PM
to get on the same "waive" length :) thought you were calling attention to the true nerdiness of jacket around waist?

sjbraun
05-08-2011, 03:37 PM
I have the Double Century jacket in large at 6 feet, 175 pounds. It's a bit loose, but I don't think a medium would have the arm length I prefer.

As I live in rain starved Tucson, I can't say how the jacket works. It replaces a SP jacket that I lost somewhere on the 24 Hours in the Old Pueblo mountain bike course. That jacket worked very well for me in a 6 hour rainfest at the 2010 Gran Fondo Colnago in San Diego. The Double Century model is billed as being a bit more stowable, ie I hope it won't fall out of my back jersey pocket like the last one did.

Any returns are easy to do if you buy from REI.

godfrey1112000
05-08-2011, 03:38 PM
thanks guys

Looks like the large is the ticket, still deciding on the Elite or Shower Pass

will talk to Biketiresdirect.com about a price match and order it tomorrow

skijoring
05-08-2011, 04:13 PM
I'm 165-170 with a short torso but long arms and the medium in the now-discontinued 'Club' jacket is perfect. Room for a baselayer plus one LS wool or other heavier jersey. Sleeves are just long enough!

Another data point.

dnades
05-08-2011, 07:47 PM
I am 6' and 165lbs. My chest measurement said medium my height the large. My height determined that the Large was the way to go. You can call the company(I spoke to the owner to determine my sizing as well) and tell him what your measurements are and there you go...

My elite 2.0 is a about two years old and a very sharp piece of equipment. Get the hood. It's like 20 bucks and gives you some versatility off the bike if you want that.