PDA

View Full Version : Gran Fondos vs. Centuries, etc - what's the difference between the two

dd74
05-07-2011, 11:03 PM
I think Bicycling Magazine had an article that stated the Gran Fondos will effectively "kill" Centuries. If this is true, what makes GF rides more appealing than Centuries?

mgm777
05-07-2011, 11:09 PM
GFs are timed. Similar to running a marathon, you're given a chip to attach to your bike. As a result, you'll have an individual time for the event. At the end, you can compare your time against the overall, your age group, ect.

I don't believe they will "kill" century rides.

echappist
05-07-2011, 11:48 PM
I think Bicycling Magazine had an article that stated the Gran Fondos will effectively "kill" Centuries. If this is true, what makes GF rides more appealing than Centuries?

Really not that much of a difference, though some GF organizers will have you believe that GF's are more "authentic." Whatever that might mean.

GF really aren't marathon like either, as we have TT's for racing against the clock.

Louis
05-08-2011, 12:39 AM
Personally, I've always thought that it's a measure of how pretentious the organizers happened to be on the day the named the event.

Peter P.
05-08-2011, 01:12 AM
If Gran Fondos are timed, that doesn't bode well for them-in America, at least.

You can't close the roads, so every galoot on two wheels will be blowing lights and stop signs to achieve a fast time. Cops and drivers will get pissed; future gran fondos will cease to be.

dd74
05-08-2011, 02:00 AM
I mean, I see that this Gran Fondo that's happening in NY on Mother's Day, is $200. That's a lot of scratch for letting you ride your bike.

Meanwhile, I've never seen a century that was over $70.

So what gives? Is the support better, the post-ride food tastier, or the course more secure? Do you get tongue-tied by a cute podium girl when you finish?

Or is simply because certain names, like Levi, are attached to the Gran Fondo mystique?

And yes, I agree with mgm777 - for the cost of (at least) the NY gran fondo, I'm not sure how it (or they) can compete with even the priciest century ride.

endosch2
05-08-2011, 06:17 AM
The reason its $200 is because its New York. According to census data 50K of income in median US (pick your place) is equal in purchasing power to 92K in NYC.

I dont think $200 is too bad for most New Yorkers, who pay through the nose for the privledge of living in small apartments and enjoy a huge hassle factor for every small thing that they want to do, but hey you cant put a price on bedbugs, rats, and the ultimate rat race that is NYC!

godfrey1112000
05-08-2011, 06:36 AM
Just did a GF yesterday, it was in east central Missouri, on of the Legs from the Tour of Missouri, $85, put on by one of the Best LBS's in St. Louis

It was similar to a "Timed Brevet"

Support was Good, lots of quality supplies, lots of un-chilled water and GA

11k in climbing most of the cyclist were above average and up so you did not see you charity century riders, Wal-Mart bikes or toe clips

Replacing Centuries I really doubt it, most riders do not even know they exist.

we did the event, enjoyed it but most likely will not be back,

Next Week 2011 Balltown Double Century, Iowa

http://www.ultramidwest.net/umw/btown/bthome.aspx

I think Double Centuries are going to replace GF's

Black Dog
05-08-2011, 07:00 AM
Gran Fondos are semi-competitive. Timed, prizes for best this and that. Most riders just plug along and do not care to much about times or ride against themselves. Centuries are not competitive, but lets be honest; some guys and gals once on a bike need to have their ego stroked by competition and will turn anything into a race.

It can get very sketchy in some GFs due to the racing. Coming from a racing background I think that races should be races and GFs and Centuries should be rides.

Open roads and 30 riders flying in a peleton, ignoring road rules, makes for very bad public relations and hurts the sport. Many rides have group size limits and toss anyone who ignores a road or ride rules. These events can kill themselves due to bad behaviour and worsen driver's views of cyclists. In Europe this is less of an issue as drivers are far more accepting and most GFs have complete or partial road closure.

bicycletricycle
05-08-2011, 08:18 AM
It turns out that gran fondo directly translates as great bottom. That's pretty funny if you ask me.

AngryScientist
05-08-2011, 08:38 AM
kill century's ? huh?

a "century" is just getting on your bike and riding 100 miles.

John M
05-08-2011, 08:51 AM
I am with Black Dog. Folks that want to race should do races. The problem with GF-type timed rides is that it puts a competitive aspect in a setting that is not well set up for that. I did one of these and found the first 25 miles to be a disaster of huge packs, filled with many unskilled riders--loads of half-wheeling, poor communication, etc....Only after the first big hill, did the things spread out and did I feel more safe. If I did another of those events, I would leave a half hour after the scheduled start and avoid the pseudoracer crowd.

Louis
05-08-2011, 01:03 PM
Just did a GF yesterday, it was in east central Missouri, on of the Legs from the Tour of Missouri, $85, put on by one of the Best LBS's in St. Louis

Re: Vino Fondo

You guys really lucked out with the weather yesterday. The forecast for Saturday was not good at all, so instead of riding Sat, Sun, I rode Fri and will ride today. As it turned out there was little rain and good temps.

A riding buddy of mine did the VF last year and enjoyed it. Some of those roads are pretty nice for cycling. I'd like to do it, but for me it's really too close to the beginning of the season, and my legs just don't have enough miles in them for that sort of thing.

Fixed
05-08-2011, 01:30 PM
guys race centuries too around here bragging rights of course a lot race their training rides too ..how do you make a race ? get more than 3 young cyclist together
cheers

Cinci Jim
05-08-2011, 01:45 PM
I think this is just all marketing - why pay $70 for a century when you can pay $200 for a Gran Fondo running on the same roads?

Somehow this reminds me of the bit in Breaking Away -

Dad: What is this?
Mom: It's sauteed zucchini.
Dad: It's I-tey food. I don't want no I-tey food.
Mom: It's not. I got it at the A&P. It's like... squash.
Dad: I know I-tey food when I hear it! It's all them "eenie" foods... zucchini... and linguine... and fettuccine. I want some American food, dammit! I want French fries!
Mom: [to the cat, who has jumped up onto the table] Oh, get off the table, Fellini!
Dad: Hey, that's *my* cat! His name's not Fellini, it's Jake! I won't have any "eenie" in this house!
[to the cat]
Dad: Your name's Jake, you hear?

echappist
05-08-2011, 01:52 PM
Gran Fondos are semi-competitive. Timed, prizes for best this and that. Most riders just plug along and do not care to much about times or ride against themselves. Centuries are not competitive, but lets be honest; some guys and gals once on a bike need to have their ego stroked by competition and will turn anything into a race.

It can get very sketchy in some GFs due to the racing. Coming from a racing background I think that races should be races and GFs and Centuries should be rides.

Open roads and 30 riders flying in a peleton, ignoring road rules, makes for very bad public relations and hurts the sport. Many rides have group size limits and toss anyone who ignores a road or ride rules. These events can kill themselves due to bad behaviour and worsen driver's views of cyclists. In Europe this is less of an issue as drivers are far more accepting and most GFs have complete or partial road closure.
well said

HenryA
05-08-2011, 04:37 PM
And this well turned phrase: "avoid the pseudoracer crowd"

Save your $200 bucks and give it to the Red Cross or something.

palincss
05-08-2011, 06:13 PM
Really not that much of a difference, though some GF organizers will have you believe that GF's are more "authentic." Whatever that might mean.

Absurd. How old is the Gran Fondo? Does it even predate 1970? The club century dates back to the 19th century.

echappist
05-08-2011, 06:36 PM
And this well turned phrase: "avoid the pseudoracer crowd"

Save your $200 bucks and give it to the Red Cross or something.

Well said,

Here's the most ridiculous part, and it's directly aimed at GF NY. All the other GF in the US are in the $60-70 range, and those in Europe are even less expensive. Let's not forget that when you do a GF in Europe, you get to climb the Stelvio or the Mortirolo. The GF Marco Pantani is 40 Euros or $60, and goes on the same roads that the Giro uses.

The GFNY is so pathetic that it has to dub the climbs on the route to make it sound foreign. Poseur to the extreme.
Absurd. How old is the Gran Fondo? Does it even predate 1970? The club century dates back to the 19th century.

It seems that being of Italian origin automatically gives it 150 years of history. Hell, was pneumatic tires even invented that long ago?

pdmtong
05-08-2011, 07:56 PM
I have to say the Levi GF was a GREAT ride and with full support. Roads blocked/closed everywhere. Spectactular riding. The ONLY issue is for slower guys like me, the better food at the end ran out before I got back.

Was it worth the $$ reg, hotel room and half day off work to get up there? Once, for sure.

I don't care at all about the chip timing.

For those not in the area, I would hands down say it's worth flying to. The ride and views are truly unforgettable.