PDA

View Full Version : Finally Got the Landshark Built!

Hawker
05-07-2011, 10:56 PM
I finally got my Landshark built. I was in St. Louis on business in January and found it in a used bike shop. I have always been interested in a Landshark but really couldn’t afford a custom frame. I have slowly been falling in love with white bikes for a couple of years now, I love panels and blue is my favorite color. So, when I ran across this one IN MY SIZE, how could I not buy this frame? :) A few weeks later I purchased the frame, fork and headset and had it shipped to me in GA. It was in good shape but needed some TLC.

I have been collecting all the parts through Ebay and CL, which has taken a while. I ended up with Dura-Ace 7800 brakes, shifters and drive train except for the crank which is Ultegra SL. Thomson Masterpiece seat post, 3T stem and bars, Open 4CD wheels with DA hubs.

I took her out for her maiden voyage today and did twenty miles. It rode very smooth, light and quick. I was very surprised at how much difference there was between the DA shifting and the Ultegra that I had been used to. Whew, nice!

I don’t have any idea who the original owner was, but he was awfully close to my size. The frame was made in 2001 from Dedacciai Zero tubing. Seat tube is 50cm, TT is 50cm and wheelbase is 96cm. I have a tiny bit of toe overlap but it doesn’t seem to present a problem.

Oh yes, I weighed it in a bike shop with a Park Tool digital scale. With pedals…a whopping 17.2 lbs. I’m waaay happy.

weisan
05-07-2011, 11:26 PM
Sweeeeeeeet!

Louis
05-07-2011, 11:40 PM
I finally got my Landshark built. I was in St. Louis on business in January and found it in a used bike shop.

Doesn't Landshark (i.e. one of the guys associated with the company) have some sort of connection to St Louis? I seem to remember hearing that somewhere, but I may be wrong.

Nice bike. Where exactly did you find it?

Louis

roguedog
05-08-2011, 12:07 AM
she's pretty and just bout my size too. got any sisters ? :)

seriously, nice find. ride it well.

fogrider
05-08-2011, 12:13 AM
landshark is like many custom built bike builders is...one man in a garage. some guys might have some part time help, but really these guys work alone.

gone
05-08-2011, 06:43 AM
Nice bike! Welcome to the Landshark owners club, anyone who's ridden one knows how special they are.

Hawker
05-08-2011, 12:48 PM
Doesn't Landshark (i.e. one of the guys associated with the company) have some sort of connection to St Louis? I seem to remember hearing that somewhere, but I may be wrong.

Nice bike. Where exactly did you find it?

Louis

I'm not sure I've ever heard of a St. Louis connection to Landshark? Where is John Slawta from originally?

Found the bike at Recycled Cycles in downtown St. Louis. A guy named Paul sells only used bikes and parts out of his home. Interesting home though...had at least a hundred or more bikes around the house and tons of used parts.

I'm very happy to have found this, since John is no longer making steel frames at all.

Scott Shire
05-08-2011, 02:32 PM
Interesting Landshark real life testimonial...

I was at the Brian Piccolo Velodrome in South Florida. I was just riding around the top of the track, warming up, while this guy on a Landshark Track was GETTING IT in the sprinters lane. His wife and kids were on the infield watching him ride, and as I passed them he disappeared on the banking of turn 2 followed by the telltale sound of a track crash -- lots of sliding/scraping. He was ok save for a broken arm, but was pretty rough looking with the road rash etc. His wife had run over to tend to him, and looked horrified. His immediate reaction...

"Is the bike ok?!?" (it was)

So yeah, Slawta makes a MEAN machine.

http://www.businesscycles.com/graphics/io_dog2.jpg

FixedNotBroken
05-08-2011, 03:11 PM
About my size..if you decide to sell it I want to be first on the list:)

chuckroast
05-08-2011, 07:44 PM
Paul at Recycled Cycles sold me my first Serotta, a CTI, in 2006. I saw his house/ shop also, holy moly that fellow has a lot of bike stuff.

Here's his website, no affilliation other than a happy customer.

http://www.recycledcycles.net/

rugbysecondrow
05-08-2011, 07:58 PM
Very nice, but I think the most tame Landshark paint job I have seen.

Enjoy!