PDA

View Full Version : What size is this?

FixedNotBroken
05-07-2011, 12:53 PM
Curious what size of stem I will need for this..I am going to get one off this site but i'm not sure which size.

http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/components/stems.html

John M
05-07-2011, 12:56 PM
Probalby 1 1/8". You want to measure the outer diameter of that adapter. The length, you will have to choose to accommodate your fit requirements.

FixedNotBroken
05-07-2011, 12:59 PM
I know what length I need, just trying to figure out which size of stem to buy that will fit on there properly.

dave thompson
05-07-2011, 01:03 PM
Looks like it would be real easy to measure across the top with a ruler. It's either 1" or 1 1/8".

bicycletricycle
05-07-2011, 01:07 PM
please get a quill stem for this bike, threadless adapters are ugly

ultraman6970
05-07-2011, 05:03 PM
Agree, thats a campangolo 1 inch threaded headset and the adapter for 1 1/8 stems. The bike will look a SHIATT in my opinion.

biker72
05-07-2011, 05:49 PM
Agree, thats a campangolo 1 inch threaded headset and the adapter for 1 1/8 stems. The bike will look a SHIATT in my opinion.

I put a threadless adaptor on my 91 Paramount thinking it would improve the appearance. I'm going back to a quill.

bicycletricycle
05-07-2011, 06:26 PM
nitto pearl stems are so classy, they are the nicest single part one can put on a bike. I would get one of them for your nice lemond.

ultraman6970
05-07-2011, 09:16 PM
I put a threadless adaptor on my 91 Paramount thinking it would improve the appearance. I'm going back to a quill.

Big problem with those adapters and the stems, bulky if you ask me. Got the same idea in my lemond and look horrible, eventho i had a super nice nitto adapter.

Good luck.

FixedNotBroken
05-07-2011, 10:10 PM
Big problem with those adapters and the stems, bulky if you ask me. Got the same idea in my lemond and look horrible, eventho i had a super nice nitto adapter.

Good luck.

The adapter came with the bike, wasn't sure on what to do. What size of Nitto Pearl?

bicycletricycle
05-07-2011, 10:32 PM
quill stem only come in one size for road bikes 1".

http://www.benscycle.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=188_263_1332_718_725&products_id=11880

you will have to unwrap one side of your bars and take the lever off. The cables can stay hooked up

martinrjensen
05-07-2011, 10:40 PM
just take it out and take it with you when you want to buy a stem. Real easy. See that allen screw on the top? Loosen it, maybe tap on it with a hammer if the thing doesn't come out when loose, then the whole adapter will slide right out.
Stem adapters typically go from the 1 inch threaded to 1 & 1/8 threadless.
As mentioned, a quill stem to fit your handlebars will work too.
The only nice thing about a threadless stem is tha you can easily figure out which length to buy, by trying different length stems readily. "Then" buy the correct quill stem.

I tell ya though, that actually almost looks like it's still at the 1 inch diameter. Maybe the previous owner just wanted a threadless stem.... I'd take it with me when I went shopping.

FixedNotBroken
05-08-2011, 02:09 AM
just take it out and take it with you when you want to buy a stem. Real easy. See that allen screw on the top? Loosen it, maybe tap on it with a hammer if the thing doesn't come out when loose, then the whole adapter will slide right out.
Stem adapters typically go from the 1 inch threaded to 1 & 1/8 threadless.
As mentioned, a quill stem to fit your handlebars will work too.
The only nice thing about a threadless stem is tha you can easily figure out which length to buy, by trying different length stems readily. "Then" buy the correct quill stem.

I tell ya though, that actually almost looks like it's still at the 1 inch diameter. Maybe the previous owner just wanted a threadless stem.... I'd take it with me when I went shopping.

I'm not sure. I took the whole bike apart already. I ride a 90mm stem on my other bikes I just don't have a bike with a quill stem so when it comes to them I don't know about the length on them.