PDA

View Full Version : OT: Turntables

wtex
05-06-2011, 06:23 PM
I'm looking for either a new or a used turntable to connect, I guess via RCA cables?, to my Yamaha AV receiver. I just want LP playback, don't need MP3 conversion -- any model or brand recommendations? Or features I should look for?

Thanks folks!

crownjewelwl
05-06-2011, 06:36 PM
really depends on how much cheese you wanna drop

if u want reasonable audiophile stuff check out pro-ject...about $400

bike22
05-06-2011, 06:48 PM
just find a local stereo / electronics shop and buy a used/reconditioned one.

chuckroast
05-06-2011, 07:09 PM
What he said. You can still buy new turntables at Amazon or Best Buy that are perfectly fine if you're not looking for audiophile playback. Frankly though, I've had my best luck buying "back in the day" turntables from Craigslist or at Estate Sales.

xjoex
05-06-2011, 07:18 PM
I have a Numark PT01, it sounds great, is small and has a built in pre-amp so you don't need the right 75/300 ohm input in your receiver.

http://www.numark.com/pt01
http://www.numark.com/stuff/contentmgr/files/0/c1482c984729334e2f950fe98f77d8b4/medium/pt01_angle_med.jpg
I used it (before the USB turntables came out) to convert all my vinyl to MP3 by hooking it up to my laptop.

I am done with it, I'd sell it for a song if you are interested PM me.

-Joe

Peter P.
05-06-2011, 07:21 PM
First, be sure your Yamaha receiver has a phono input as one of your sources.

If not, your receiver likely doesn't have a built-in phono pre-amp and you'll need to buy an aftermarket phono pre-amp.

I subscribe to Sound and Vision magazine and have done so for decades. They usually don't get too esoteric with the equipment reviews, which means the items they review are USUALLY more affordable than the high end stuff.

That said, since I remembered reading some turntable reviews in past issues, I did a search on their web site this is what it came up with:

Sound and Vision Magazine (http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/search/sv_apachesolr_search/turntable)

I'd trust their choices.

peanutgallery
05-06-2011, 07:41 PM
craiglist always has odd little things like this:
http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/msg/2363291567.html

If you have a 2 channel Yamaha I think you will be fine with just plugging it in. Can't remember when they last made them, but the phono was probably still in when they did.

Slight drift, I have a RX 485 that is a champ. What do you have?

Scott Shire
05-06-2011, 07:47 PM
The Rega P1, at about $400, is your best entry-level option, though the pro-ject Crownjewel mentioned (I assume he means the RM-1) is also an excellent product in a similar price range.

Kevin Deal at Upscale Audio (amazing guy/company to work with) has a good deal on a Pro Ject 2Xperience (http://www.upscaleaudio.com/specials/turntables-specials/2xperience.html) right now.

If I have to recommend one regardless of budget...
Walker Proscenium Black Diamond (http://www.walkeraudio.com/proscenium_turntable.htm)

uber
05-06-2011, 08:04 PM
Try www,audiogon.com

wtex
05-06-2011, 08:25 PM
PG:

I have the rx-v663, and it appears it does not have a phono input -- I guess I could plug a turntable in and it would play, right? What does the pre-amp do exactly? I've heard of them, but never had a reason to look into them until now.

And thanks all for some really good options, too. Many of these turntables are works of art!

Chad

melonyogloo
05-06-2011, 08:46 PM
The output from a magnetic cartridge on your turntable is very low compare to other sources (CD, DVD player). Also, because of limitations in the LP recording process, an equalization curve must be applied to the music or other sonic content prior to it being cut onto vinyl, so as to reduce background noise and sibilance. The phono-preamp is to amplify the signal, reverse the RIAA curve and restoring the music's original frequency response curve during playback.

fuzzalow
05-06-2011, 09:48 PM
It depends how many vinyl records you may already have and what type of music you like that is even available on vinyl. Used pop/rock records are easy, jazz, blues and classical discs are a bit harder to find and more expensive. New releases from current artists are sporadic.

As mentioned, you will need a turntable, cartridge and a preamp as AV receivers don't have phono inputs. The $$ starts to add up, even though used vinyl is relatively cheap.

If you spend the time to find & buy a used turntable from a seller at audiogon, most audiophiles take care of their gear so it helps. Also, record shops that sell vinyl LPs, new and used, often sell turntables from the vintage vinyl pre-CD era. Dual, Pioneer, Sony, BIC, Technics. Not audiophile stuff but still OK.

19wisconsin64
05-06-2011, 10:29 PM
hi, it all depends on your budget. there are lots of great deals on your local craigslist.

i second the notion for the Rega too, it that is in your budget.

audiogon.com is a great source too for the higher priced used stuff

and my personal low cost suggestion, if you can find a good used one on ebay or otherwise, a belt drive Dual 506

good luck in your search!!

me, i run an old linn turntable with my trusty harman kardon receiver......over 25 years old stuff, and still works perfectly

sean
05-06-2011, 10:34 PM
Audio Karma is a great place to get info on turntables, etc. Keep in mind that newer amps and recievers are not made to work with turnable audio signals. You'll need to buy a phono amp or phono stage. Another thing you could spend anywhere from $50-$1000 depending on who you ask.

Also, for audio cables, recently people have found component video cables do a better job getting the audio from the phono stage to the receiver. You just buy a set and cut loose or skip one of the cables, doesn't matter which.

I'm a bit more keen now to new TT as I finally got around to replacing my 25 year old, not so good and ready for the bin TT. I ended up with the Rega RP-1 with a performance pack upgrade. Love it!

http://www.rega.co.uk/

I also ened up getting a pretty affordable phono stage from:

http://www.hagtech.com/bugle.html

The only downside is it runs on two 9 volts and doesn't come with a case.

steampunk
05-06-2011, 10:46 PM
ah vinyl. :beer:

re: availability - i was at best buy today and was very surprised to see records on the racks.

SEABREEZE
05-06-2011, 10:47 PM
I'm impressed,,,,,,, alot of Vinal people here !!!

rounder
05-06-2011, 11:25 PM
Just wondering. Why are folks still playing records on turntables. I have replaced most of my vinyl records that i like with CDs. Then you can download them into ITunes, etc. Is there still a better sound from vinyl that you can't get from digital that makes playing on a turntable sound better. Just wondering. Thanks.

19wisconsin64
05-06-2011, 11:44 PM
hey rounder,
i've been an audiophile for many years....... yes, there is more sound information available on records. for now at least!
recently the digital world has been catching up, and clearly you won't have any ticks or pops when listening to a cd, but still records can sound more "musical"......
they've been re-releasing and updating old recordings, and these sound pretty amazing on cds.
lots of the older and current cds lack musical information. i'm sure in the next 10 years this will be changed.
year after year digital music has been improving, and getting higher resolution (more musical information).
cheers from the listening room

steampunk
05-07-2011, 07:59 AM
love the analog sound but the weak link in records is the mechanical interface in retrieving the information. this solves that problem but be prepared for sticker shock.

ELP Laser Turntable (http://www.elpj.com/)

academic only, i don't have one :)

Peter P.
05-07-2011, 12:25 PM
Just wondering. Why are folks still playing records on turntables. I have replaced most of my vinyl records that i like with CDs. Then you can download them into ITunes, etc. Is there still a better sound from vinyl that you can't get from digital that makes playing on a turntable sound better. Just wondering. Thanks.

The only reason I'd get rid of my records is if I no longer had a turntable to play them on and couldn't buy a replacement. I'm not enough of an audiophile to hear any sonic differences between vinyl and CDs, as well.

I can't understand the concept of tossing the old technology just because something new comes along. Maybe it's part of our consumer-based culture, but I certainly can't afford to replace my LPs with CD duplicates. How about my cassettes, too?!

rounder
05-10-2011, 09:23 AM
The only reason I'd get rid of my records is if I no longer had a turntable to play them on and couldn't buy a replacement. I'm not enough of an audiophile to hear any sonic differences between vinyl and CDs, as well.

I can't understand the concept of tossing the old technology just because something new comes along. Maybe it's part of our consumer-based culture, but I certainly can't afford to replace my LPs with CD duplicates. How about my cassettes, too?!

I am not tossing my records either because of the memories. I used to really like the album covers for all the art work and pictures, and information. You don't get that today with CDs. On the other hand, I don't have any feelings about the cassettes down in the basement.

mister
05-10-2011, 09:35 AM
you should be able to find a used turntable that will sound real nice.
something like a technics 1200 that's not abused would be great.

vinyl is a cooler format, the cover art can be more interesting and the sound is a little different. a little more 3 dimensional and smoother usually.
i'm glad vinyl is getting popular again, pretty much any album i buy right now is released on vinyl as well as cd, and lots of the LP's come with a digital download so i can put it in my itunes...
also i can usually find old jazz lp's that aren't available on cd.

AngryScientist
05-10-2011, 09:35 AM
... the album covers for all the art work and pictures...

This is big IMO, we're missing out on this aspect of the art with mp3's, itunes etc. they still make "album covers" in a lot of cases, but i doubt a lot of people feel a connection to the art on the cover with the music like you used to when you had to pull that vinyl out of the cover every time.

crownjewelwl
05-10-2011, 09:38 AM
you should be able to find a used turntable that will sound real nice.
something like a technics 1200 that's not abused would be great.

vinyl is a cooler format, the cover art can be more interesting and the sound is a little different. a little more 3 dimensional and smoother usually.
i'm glad vinyl is getting popular again, pretty much any album i buy right now is released on vinyl as well as cd, and lots of the LP's come with a digital download so i can put it in my itunes...
also i can usually find old jazz lp's that aren't available on cd.

have you checked the prices of used 1200s? i think the rise in popularity of djing has driven up the prices. i bot mine new in college for $400 each. they now retail for $1200 or so. Seem like used ones in good condition fetch about $600.

mister
05-10-2011, 10:18 AM
have you checked the prices of used 1200s? i think the rise in popularity of djing has driven up the prices. i bot mine new in college for $400 each. they now retail for $1200 or so. Seem like used ones in good condition fetch about $600.

on craigslist here there are two listings for a pair of 1200's for $600 right now.
over the last year i've seen a few 1200's for as low as 200-250 on more than one occasion.

djg
05-10-2011, 11:38 AM
For cheap . . . I'd seek out an old Dual or maybe Thorens table, belt-drive, for sure, used -- one where you're actually able to verify that things are as they should be. If you get a little lucky, you can find something that's dirt cheap and really pretty darn good. In a larger town, you might find a nice deal on one of the used rega tables folks are mentioning -- it's not as if bikes are the only area where enthusiasts trade up or have other reasons to sell very nice gear in good condition.

BTW -- lots of high-output cartridges on the market -- I reckon that you'll find something to work with your electronics.

From there, the sky is the limit. I used to know the market really well -- way back in grad school (in a century increasingly far away) I sold these things. The thing is, I just haven't kept up and cannot really parse current offerings in, say, the 3 or 5 or 7 hundred or 4 thousand or whatever dollar range. I've still got my old VPI turntable -- I reckon it was a serious audiophile offering in its day, although nowhere near the money-no-object top of the market (about which, you don't wanna know).

seatown7
05-10-2011, 12:31 PM
I plunged back into vinyl a few years ago with a VPI Scout table with some upgrades. Very happy I did so. One of the most valuable things I did to increase my listening pleasure was to buy a hand powered record cleaner. It eliminates much of the surface noise on used records. Enjoy!

www.spincleanrecordwasher.com

Fixed
05-10-2011, 12:40 PM
spin some lps
thorens t.t. here
cheers

Jeff N.
05-10-2011, 01:18 PM
I've got a Denon DP-51F I'll let you have for $350 shipped. Simply Outstanding. Grado cartridge included. Money back guarantee. jefftnix@aol.com Jeff N.

pjm
05-11-2011, 08:27 AM
I really miss record stores. I used to spend hours in them. :(

SEABREEZE
05-11-2011, 09:20 AM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_BsxClt3TmzM/Tcqa0R5DoyI/AAAAAAAAA2A/Gfb6S-23Mtw/1285809034.jpg

SEABREEZE
05-11-2011, 09:29 AM
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_BsxClt3TmzM/Tcqc1uKv8qI/AAAAAAAAA2Q/2R4KWWAKDTY/1276559937.jpg

poguemahone
05-11-2011, 09:59 AM
Hunt up an old Luxman turntable; they're very good and seem to go cheap. Not enough name recognition or something.

Replacing my vinyl would put a hurt on my wallet. Plus, I've been spending 10 cents to a buck for old LPs for years and years now, though I finally broke down and spent six on a copy of Millie Jackson's "Caught Up".

Kevan
05-11-2011, 02:53 PM
Sigh...I miss my ol' Philips turntable. Now there's a Mac mini in its place.