PDA

View Full Version : newbie question gluing tubulars

feta99
05-06-2011, 12:30 PM
Hello there,

I've decided to take the plunge and glue my own tubulars. My plan today was to glue start gluing 2 sets of wheels, a previously glued alloy and a brand new reynolds carbon set. I started with the alloys and things seemed to go smoothly. I realized in the process that my brush was inadequate as it started to stick and glue onto the rim, I was trying very hard to take my time and spread a small coat over the rim, edge to edge.

Anyways, first set seemed to go fine. I then started on the carbon tubulars and I gave them a quick clean with soap and water as there was some powder residue, probably from the new set of veloflex tires stretching on the rims. After I finished the first wheel, I realized that some of the glue would come off easily when tacked from the brush, pealed off too smoothly.

So, I'm wondering, do I need to restart the process because there is residue on the rim that needs to be cleaned off thoroughly before I can glue again??? Would cleaning with acetone get ride of that residue?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Cheers,
AC

ultraman6970
05-06-2011, 12:59 PM
In carbon rims, no clue. But all depends of the glue you are using also, I know there is a special glue for carbon rims because for some reason the regular glue doesnt work, are u using the right glue on those carbon rims?

In aluminum rims you should not have problems getting glue over glue in the rim or in the tubular.

Many people is using the tufo tape because is very clean to use, u put it in the rim and in the tubular, then mount the tubular and pull the tape, very very clean. But no idea if you can use glue over the old tape. Have used the tape and rocks big time. Good stuff.

feta99
05-06-2011, 01:04 PM
I'm using Mastik 1 glue and it is recommended by the manufacturer. I was torn by glue vs tape. I've heard the tape is as good as glue, and much easier to install, but some say it might affect rolling resistance or removal of tubular afterwards. I figure since I'm using nice tubulars, Veloflex Carbons, I should try to glue them on, but I'm still tempted by tufo tape...

jblande
05-06-2011, 01:12 PM
were the rims new?

if so, i would consider removing the glue (should not be too hard with only one layer), using a fine sand paper to rough up the surface, clean with acetone, and reapply.

i say 'consider', as this is really not an exact science

gearguywb
05-06-2011, 01:12 PM
Good timing. Just replaced a tire on my Enve wheels. They were on with Tufo and a bit tough to get off but not crazy hard. New ones go on so easy with tape it is almost like cheating.

Good video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac_QFWLiUDE

Fixed
05-06-2011, 01:37 PM
i am using the tufo tape on mine but i use them around my neighborhood no racing ..
cheers

redir
05-06-2011, 01:59 PM
I don't know about carbon rims either but it sure does sound like there is some sort of coating on the rim that the glue is not adhering to properly. As for the other rim, you don't need to remove the old glue in fact it's sort of desirable imo to have old glue there. The new glue will melt into the old glue.

oldpotatoe
05-06-2011, 02:44 PM
In carbon rims, no clue. But all depends of the glue you are using also, I know there is a special glue for carbon rims because for some reason the regular glue doesnt work, are u using the right glue on those carbon rims?

In aluminum rims you should not have problems getting glue over glue in the rim or in the tubular.

Many people is using the tufo tape because is very clean to use, u put it in the rim and in the tubular, then mount the tubular and pull the tape, very very clean. But no idea if you can use glue over the old tape. Have used the tape and rocks big time. Good stuff.

No 'special' carbon glue, use the same stuff for carbon or aluminum.

Gluing is easy, and very clean. Just need to learn how is all.

For the OP, clean with acetone, not soap and water..

ultraman6970
05-06-2011, 05:59 PM
Why do they sell carbon rims specific glue then?? So it is just marketing to ask a few more bucks??

feta99
05-06-2011, 07:05 PM
OK, thanks. I will clean with Acetone and then give it a quick sand with 100 sand paper and try again.

R2D2
05-07-2011, 06:34 AM
Why do they sell carbon rims specific glue then?? So it is just marketing to ask a few more bucks??
Only Conti did. And then they recalled it.
I've used both.
The tubualr glue just seemed thicker was realy more of a PITA than anything.
I used regular glue prior to carbon glue ever showing up and I'm still alive.
I've used tape too.
It can be hard to get a tire to peel off with tape. Alos If you try to yank the old tape off it can remove some of the finish resin.
SO the trick is to use a hair dryer and it heat up a section at a time so it softens and comes off easier.
But as oldpotato said regular glue works fine. Or has for the last thrity years I'm been using it. But I hated the old red Tubasti.

oldpotatoe
05-07-2011, 07:20 AM

Conti made some and just as quickly, they removed it cuz it didn't work. There is no 'carbon glue', at least not from Conti, Vittoria, Panaracer....

oldpotatoe
05-07-2011, 07:22 AM
Only Conti did. And then they recalled it.
I've used both.
The tubualr glue just seemed thicker was realy more of a PITA than anything.
I used regular glue prior to carbon glue ever showing up and I'm still alive.
I've used tape too.
It can be hard to get a tire to peel off with tape. Alos If you try to yank the old tape off it can remove some of the finish resin.
SO the trick is to use a hair dryer and it heat up a section at a time so it softens and comes off easier.
But as oldpotato said regular glue works fine. Or has for the last thrity years I'm been using it. But I hated the old red Tubasti.

Me too. LOVE Panaracer, best glue, IMHO. Keirin racers in Japan can't be wrong.

jroden
05-07-2011, 12:52 PM
i agree with the post above that suggested acetone rather than soap and water. Get a flux brush and lay a few thin coats on the wheel, allowing drying time between, put a coat on the tire basetape and when everything is all dry put a thin coat on the wheel to wake up the glue, let sit for an hour or less and slap the tire on.

If you have not already mounted and inflated the tires on these wheels without glue, do so first

If you are unfamiliar with mounting tubulars, the one trick that really helps is mounting on the floor, valve at 12 o clock then when you get to 3 and 9 o clock, put a goodly amount of downward force to stretch the tire. If you don't, you make a mess getting the last bit on.

I'm not sure what you use to clean up your messes on the braking surface with carbon wheels, i use lacquer thinner on my metal ones

false_Aest
05-07-2011, 01:13 PM
1) as per Zanc-- stretch electric tape along the braking surface. your life will be much more betterer.

2) light light sanding, acetone repeat.

3) do not put grimy fingers on surface ever again

4) thin line of mastic on rim surface. quickly use acid brush to spread it out very thin.

5) wait.

6) repeat 4.

if your brush gets sticky or hard just add more mastik to the brush. that will soften it up until you're done spreading the glue.

redir
05-09-2011, 07:18 AM
Panaracer? Really? Maybe I got some bad tubes of that stuff once but it was thick and didn't spread well at all. I decided never to use that stuff again. Mastik One is my go to tube glue.

As for clean up, I use Goof Off. Maybe that is an acetone product IDK but it works quite well. A coat of Goof Off on a wheel with lots of glue is almost all you need as it softens up and refreshes then old glue.

oldpotatoe
05-09-2011, 07:37 AM
Panaracer? Really? Maybe I got some bad tubes of that stuff once but it was thick and didn't spread well at all. I decided never to use that stuff again. Mastik One is my go to tube glue.

As for clean up, I use Goof Off. Maybe that is an acetone product IDK but it works quite well. A coat of Goof Off on a wheel with lots of glue is almost all you need as it softens up and refreshes then old glue.

Mastik has been really hard to get in cans(what I sell and use, along with Pana) but Pana is clear, thin-ish, doesn't dry out(like Vittoria does in the can).

Pana reminds me of the glue one used to make plastic model airplanes, smells the same, same consistency. My favorite, particularly for guys using the wheels for crits and track.

phlash23
05-10-2011, 09:40 PM
Conti made some and just as quickly, they removed it cuz it didn't work. There is no 'carbon glue', at least not from Conti, Vittoria, Panaracer....

Trying to find some sources for this and coming up empty. Any direction to find some links? Have a can and was getting ready to glue up my 404s. Had great luck with regular Conti glue in the past.

oldpotatoe
05-11-2011, 08:00 AM
Trying to find some sources for this and coming up empty. Any direction to find some links? Have a can and was getting ready to glue up my 404s. Had great luck with regular Conti glue in the past.

Links for what? It has essentially been recalled, don't use it. Use regular Conti glue, Vittoria and as I have mentioned(again??) Panaracer, the best, IMHO.

phlash23
05-11-2011, 09:19 AM
Links for what? It has essentially been recalled, don't use it. Use regular Conti glue, Vittoria and as I have mentioned(again??) Panaracer, the best, IMHO.

I'm asking for something besides your word (which I do appreciate) that the glue has been recalled, proven ineffective, dangerous, faulty etc. A web site to refer to, a recall notice from Continental, etc. I've been poking around the interwebs last night and briefly this morning and can find no reference to what your saying.

I trust the opinions and knowledge of the members of this forum. With that said, I don't think the owners two sets of wheels I have to glue later this week, who specifically requested I use the new Conti carbon cement, will take "some guy on Serotta forums said so" as a legitimate answer for me to use. If the stuff is garbage, I don't plan on using it, but just need something to support my decision. Thanks for the heads up.

oldpotatoe
05-11-2011, 10:41 AM
I'm asking for something besides your word (which I do appreciate) that the glue has been recalled, proven ineffective, dangerous, faulty etc. A web site to refer to, a recall notice from Continental, etc. I've been poking around the interwebs last night and briefly this morning and can find no reference to what your saying.

I trust the opinions and knowledge of the members of this forum. With that said, I don't think the owners two sets of wheels I have to glue later this week, who specifically requested I use the new Conti carbon cement, will take "some guy on Serotta forums said so" as a legitimate answer for me to use. If the stuff is garbage, I don't plan on using it, but just need something to support my decision. Thanks for the heads up.

1-877-395-8088

Highway 2, Conti distributor

bart998
05-11-2011, 07:47 PM
I've been gluing tubulars for 35 years. Follow the method laid out by Jroden. That is what works.