PDA

View Full Version : Clincher Inner Tube Differences

bikerboy337
05-06-2011, 12:23 PM
I've read in a few places lately that latex inner tubes on clinchers have a much better feel than butyl and other tubes. Anyone have any experience. Just wondering.

Thanks!

thegunner
05-06-2011, 12:32 PM
they feel a little better to me, and according to the data it is worth about 4 watts of rolling resistance for the pair, BUT they also flat easier. pick your poison.

martinrjensen
05-06-2011, 01:07 PM
I read they flat less because they are more flexable. Personally I would think they would flat more because they are so thin but I don't know, that's just what I read. I'm running some onone of my bikes right now but alas.... no flats yet. Only got a few hundred miles on them so there's plenty of time to get a flat yet.

Aaron O
05-06-2011, 01:10 PM
I was just questioning some friends and an LBS about this...

The consensus was that they aren't worth it. The stems are apparently weaker and prone to breakage. They leak far more air...enough to where you feel and notice it during a long ride and they're more prone to flats in general.

jblande
05-06-2011, 01:15 PM
i have found michelin tubes to hold air very well and be extremely reliable. i have flats just as rarely as with butyl tubes.

i say they hold air very well in the sense that i have never noticed significant loss of air in a single ride. it is true, however, that you will have to pump them up regularly.

and yes i do find the ride very nice.

martinrjensen
05-06-2011, 01:17 PM
Well they definitely leak more air. There is a noticeable difference the following morning after a ride. I have never noticed it after a 4 hour ride though, but then again I never measured it after a 4 hour ride either. I don't know if the ride (from them alone) is any better but I do know that in conjunction with my Vittoria Open Pave CG tires, they provide a noticeably nicer ride than my Conty 4000s Gatorskins with regular butyl tubes.I was just questioning some friends and an LBS about this...

The consensus was that they aren't worth it. The stems are apparently weaker and prone to breakage. They leak far more air...enough to where you feel and notice it during a long ride and they're more prone to flats in general.

mandasol
05-06-2011, 01:28 PM
They do ride nice, and combined with Veloflex Corsa or Vittoria Corsa Evo tires the ride is sublime. However I found that switching to a wide rim (~23mm) that the ride is about as nice (maybe better?) even with butyl tubes.

bikerboy337
05-06-2011, 03:11 PM
Good stuff here folks... i've read a couple of articles lately and they've mentioned the same as i'm seeing here... i figure i'll give them a try on my carbon clinchers soon, just didn't know if it was complete hype, or if they actually ride better... thanks.

jblande
05-06-2011, 03:19 PM
make sure your carbon clinchers do not warn against using them

the only pair i have ever had, a pair of campy hyperons, warned against it...

bicycletricycle
05-06-2011, 03:22 PM
are they patchable?

martinrjensen
05-06-2011, 04:00 PM
Yes, with a standard patch kit. They may make a latex patch kit but I have sucessfully used a regular kit when I was patching my tubular tubesare they patchable?

Tim
05-06-2011, 04:08 PM
True, they leak air and need to be pumped every day and they are more expensive- but, for me anyway, they flat way less often and roll smoother. They are easy to patch if they flat and I've only had about 3 flats in the last 5 or 6 years- and the roads around here are rough at best.
Good tires also help...

climbgdh
05-06-2011, 04:36 PM
I've been using Michelin latex tubes on 2 of my bikes for a while now. I swear by them now. I haven't had a flat on either bike in ages....... easily at least 15,000 ++ kms. They roll super nice and I find them more comfortable. I've done rides up to 10-11 hours on them and haven't noticed any appreciable loss in pressure. You do have to pump them up before every ride but that takes all of 45 seconds..... YMMV. :beer: