PDA

View Full Version : Blackburn pumps

fiamme red
05-06-2011, 09:57 AM
I've owned two Blackburn pumps, and both were garbage. One was an Air Tower 4 floor pump that worked poorly for half a year, then stopped working altogether, and the other was a frame pump that never worked at all.

Anyone else have problems with Blackburn pumps, or am I the only one?

AngryScientist
05-06-2011, 10:00 AM
just buy a lezyne and be done with it.

that said, i also had a blackburn airtower something a long time ago, and it was garbage. i hated the way the handle felt, i actually wore myself out getting to 120# and eventually the seal leaked and you COULDNT get to 120. junk.

for something like a floor pump which you use almost every time you go out with any bike, having the best is really a no-brainer.

Nooch
05-06-2011, 10:03 AM
my blackburn airtower is phenomonal, though only purchased in the last year or so.. It's the airtower (insert number here) the retails around $70-$80. I've found the head to be much better (for me, at least) than the specialized.

I suppose this is one of your YMMV type of things. Only thing I've ever had to do with it is tighten the bolt on the bottom that holds the feet to the tower, and the only real grip I have is that the hose wraps in a manner that it doesn't keep the handle from sliding out.

socalspeedsk8r
05-06-2011, 10:17 AM
I just threw one in the trash yesterday and had to invest in a new pump. I bought the new Lezyne, expensive but will probably be worth it in the end. Also its heavy duty all metal.

Scott

gasman
05-06-2011, 10:17 AM
I have a Blackburn frame pump that I bought with my Co-Motion cross bike. As good as the bike is the pump is just the opposite-junk. It's only good feature is that it's the same color as my frame, but it sits at home and I carry a Zefal now.

GregL
05-06-2011, 02:39 PM
Blackburn pumps suck, but their warranty is tops. I've been through four Blackburn floor pumps in ten years. Each time one dies, they send me another. On the other hand, my Topeak Joe Blow Sport has been bombproof. I've even retrofitted a Topeak pump head on to another pump!

- Greg

crownjewelwl
05-06-2011, 06:43 PM
+1 on lezyne...

altho make sure you valve cores are screwed in tightly b4 threading the chuck

rice rocket
05-06-2011, 06:52 PM
How do you use Lezyne pumps with valve extenders?

I bought a Serfas FP-200 for $40 after reading some reviews. Head is really simple and pops off nice and easy, and their warranty is supposedly second to none. Supposedly you just find your nearest Serfas dealer and they'll swap you on the spot. Its not fancy, but it's the best functioning pump I've used yet. Super simple.

pdmtong
05-06-2011, 11:25 PM
My AT-5 dual stage still going. since no one pumps up tires around here but me, that 10 stroke to 100psi really helps. things go south with thehead, blackburn sends me a new one. one day lenzyne...but not yet