PDA

View Full Version : Snobbery....

bicycletricycle
05-05-2011, 09:13 PM
most of here are bicycle snobs. what single bicycle "thing" are you the biggest snob about? what really rubs you the wrong way?

Classic steel lugged frames with crappy carbon fiber forks.

ergo shaped drop bars rotated way up so that you would have to be a magician to use the drops.

threadless stems that have been flipped over and now have unreadable graphics

anodized alloy derailleur pulleys on campy record.

threadless stem adapters!

stars and stripes paint jobs.

painted seat posts, especially when they attempt to match the frame.

I have and most likely will resemble some these remarks at some point so I hope no one takes any of this personally, it's just the result of too much time spent thinking about bicycles.

CaptStash
05-05-2011, 09:19 PM
Easy: Custom bike with short stem and bars above the seat. Drives me crazy and there is a local very popular builder who seems to think that this is the way all bikes should fit. Oy!

CaptStash....

PS: And I am definitely NOT talking about Bill Davidson!

FlashUNC
05-05-2011, 09:21 PM
Number 1 by a country mile is whenever anyone uses the word "gruppo" or some variation/permutation in referring to the parts hanging off the bike. Unless you're Italian, it just strikes me as completely, needlessly pretentious.

Its a ridiculous pet peeve, I know, but drives me up a wall.

Steve in SLO
05-05-2011, 09:25 PM
A bike that looks like a moving billboard for every component on it. That PLUS overuse of color on tires/tape/spokes/nipples looks like technicolor BLEECH to me.

Of course my Moots with black tape might look like monochromatic BLEECH to to others.

bicycletricycle
05-05-2011, 09:34 PM
i think pictures would b good here

the shameful threadless adapter, i just don't understand it's use here, wouldn't a technomic have worked? ***?
http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae236/bicycletricycle/Screenshot2011-05-05at101835PM.png

unusable drops and excessive matching (saddle/tape/bars)
http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae236/bicycletricycle/raleighmiller.png

jischr
05-05-2011, 09:34 PM
A 5' 6" tall, 200 pound, 42" waist, in size medium spandex gassing about having just ordered 1,200 gram wheels to go up hills faster.

Aaron O
05-05-2011, 09:46 PM
most of here are bicycle snobs. what single bicycle "thing" are you the biggest snob about? what really rubs you the wrong way?

ergo shaped drop bars rotated way up so that you would have to be a magician to use the drops.

I have and most likely will resemble some these remarks at some point so I hope no one takes any of this personally, it's just the result of too much time spent thinking about bicycles.

Heh...I've got bikes that violate several of these rules.

My pet peeves - fixed gear conversions that involve drewing things.

Putting $200 saddles on dime store bikes.

Putting cheap-o tires on nice bikes (though I'm guilty of this at times)

Celeste. Sorry, but Bianchis look like utter turd.

Powder coating high end bikes with a little patina just because you want it a different color.

WickedWheels
05-05-2011, 09:47 PM
- Obviously poor fit, such as the hoods rolled down way too far or a saddle that's pointed down 20 degrees.

- Mail order bikes done up with top-of-the-line drive-trains and "me too" Chinese components. Think a Weyless/Scatante/Motobecane frame built with Dura-Ace, but Forte components and Neuvation wheels. Especially those that don't don't fit. It says to me that the owner didn't trust any bike shop to outfit him/her right and tried to outsmart the shop guys.

- High-end bikes with cheap components in areas where quality counts... cheap tires or saddles, for examples.

- High-end bikes that don't get maintained at all or people the complain about maintenance costs on them. I mean, come on, if you're riding Super Record then you should know that chains and cassettes wear out and that replacing them isn't going to be cheap. Do Ferrari owners bitch about the cost of service?

fourflys
05-05-2011, 09:50 PM
other than what Steve said above, the rest just sounds like a lot of hot air... but, this is an argument that will just go around in circles....

fourflys
05-05-2011, 09:55 PM
- Mail order bikes done up with top-of-the-line drive-trains and "me too" Chinese components. Think a Weyless/Scatante/Motobecane frame built with Dura-Ace, but Forte components and Neuvation wheels.

really, how much difference is there between a forte stem and a Ritchey or 3T stem? both probably weigh about the same and are made of the same thing... the only difference is the logo on the side...

I've said before I'm real tempted to buy one of the Scattante carbon bikes instead of a Trek/Spesh/Giant/??? because I'm pretty sure most would never know the difference with the logos taken off...

I do concede on the fit issue though...

nahtnoj
05-05-2011, 10:02 PM
"Brifter". What a travesty.

bicycletricycle
05-05-2011, 10:03 PM
i think by definition snobbery is just hot air.

I used to work at a performance/supergo location, plenty of broken parts and frames came through there. I once spotted some newspaper in a broken scattante joint :)

It doesn't really matter though, one does not have to be right to have an opinion.

other than what Steve said above, the rest just sounds like a lot of hot air... but, this is an argument that will just go around in circles....

bicycletricycle
05-05-2011, 10:05 PM
who the hell came up with brifter in the first place? I had not heard it untill a few years ago. It was always Ergo or STI.

"Brifter". What a travesty.

fourflys
05-05-2011, 10:27 PM
It doesn't really matter though, one does not have to be right to have an opinion.

too true...

dbh
05-05-2011, 10:40 PM
high-end modern road bikes with toe clips because that's what they rolled out of the LBS with.

STI's that visually indicate which gear you're in.

bikesdirect.

choke
05-05-2011, 10:46 PM
A lugged Italian frame with anything other than Campy.

Threadless forks on a steel bike.

kinofaucet
05-05-2011, 10:48 PM
Spacer towers.

don compton
05-05-2011, 10:51 PM
I will never be able to fit into the "Jerk's" impression of proper bike fit. I have drunk the Rivendell Koolaid. I like lugged framesets and positions that allow for bar height to be within 1-2cm of saddle height. I will be 60 in November and with my lack of flexibility, the "riv" fit allows to enjoy my many hours of cycling. So, I look at the many modern carbon framesets, and just have no interest in them, whatsoever, period. I guess that this is snobbery.
Don C.

martinrjensen
05-05-2011, 10:52 PM
That's funny because I'm pretty sure that technically it's correct. What do you want me to call it. "all the parts hanging from the bike"??? "gingerbread"?Number 1 by a country mile is whenever anyone uses the word "gruppo" or some variation/permutation in referring to the parts hanging off the bike. Unless you're Italian, it just strikes me as completely, needlessly pretentious.

Its a ridiculous pet peeve, I know, but drives me up a wall.

EvanOT
05-05-2011, 11:03 PM
Colored tires
white anything (other than the frame)
ergo drops
gawdy bar tape

allenwhy
05-05-2011, 11:05 PM
That's funny because I'm pretty sure that technically it's correct. What do you want me to call it. "all the parts hanging from the bike"??? "gingerbread"?
How about calling it a "group" ?? :bike:

WickedWheels
05-05-2011, 11:08 PM
really, how much difference is there between a forte stem and a Ritchey or 3T stem? both probably weigh about the same and are made of the same thing... the only difference is the logo on the side...

I've said before I'm real tempted to buy one of the Scattante carbon bikes instead of a Trek/Spesh/Giant/??? because I'm pretty sure most would never know the difference with the logos taken off...

I do concede on the fit issue though...

It's not just the difference in the logo, although there is a difference. It's what the parts represent... An attempt to get a component with no consideration other than the cost. While it could represent a person who's trying to do something on a tight budget, to me it more often represents a person who is... well, I don't have a great way to describe that person, but you know it when you see it.

To me a Scattante represents that same person. These frames may be perfectly adequate as platforms for hanging parts, but they made in the cheapest possible way to sell for the cheapest possible price. Hardly a bicycle for a "connoisseur".

I could go on with my stereotypes, but it would just sound snobby. Did I contribute to this thread well?

dbh
05-05-2011, 11:10 PM
Colored tires
white anything (other than the frame)

Does that include white bar tape?

EvanOT
05-05-2011, 11:19 PM
Does that include white bar tape?
All white bar tape is good for is getting filthy after one ride.

fourflys
05-05-2011, 11:20 PM
I could go on with my stereotypes, but it would just sound snobby. Did I contribute to this thread well?

:beer:

rcnute
05-05-2011, 11:22 PM
Easy: Custom bike with short stem and bars above the seat. Drives me crazy and there is a local very popular builder who seems to think that this is the way all bikes should fit. Oy!

CaptStash....

PS: And I am definitely NOT talking about Bill Davidson!

I know who you mean--that's one of the things that always kept me from considering a bike from them. It's the short, crazy angled stem. Had a weird fit session there too.

northbend
05-05-2011, 11:26 PM
All white bar tape is good for is getting filthy after one ride.

You obviously haven't tried Handlebra. Easy to keep clean (and yes, I am a snob).

Louis
05-05-2011, 11:37 PM
My time is way too valuable to be wasted replying to any of the inane posts made thus far...

WickedWheels
05-05-2011, 11:39 PM
My time is way to valuable to be wasted replying to any of the inane posts made thus far...

That's funny

neiltron
05-05-2011, 11:43 PM
Colored anodizing! It (usually) looks awful!

I find matching saddle and bar tape to be completely acceptable, however.

chismog
05-05-2011, 11:54 PM
Primal Wear.

martinrjensen
05-05-2011, 11:58 PM
That's one of the names I have heard referring to it. I don't understand the reluctance to call it by it's real name though. So what if it's origins are Italian, it's the proper name.How about calling it a "group" ?? :bike:

topher
05-06-2011, 12:19 AM
"I got a lot of problems with you people, and now you're gonna hear about it." - Frank Costanza

1) Buying complete stock bikes priced at over $3000. To me it shows a lack of effort. I have no problem with stock bikes priced below that - they are often good deals, and a great way to learn what you like and don't like. But, seeing someone drop $8,000 on a stock anything just makes me pity the purchaser. There are way to many choices out there, and they should be embraced.

2) Pro Team Bikes and Kits - perhaps a sub category of #1. Same rationale.

3) Poorly thought out custom builds - basically the inverse of #1. I might appreciate you trying, but if you don't pull it off, its just too bad. This doesn't require big money, it requires melding form and function into a ride that fits, serves its purpose, and is aesthetically pleasing (as judged by me, of course).

4) Not having the legs to back up a $$$$ ride. I'll compliment the bike, fantasize about it, and enjoy dropping the rider on the first climb.

jeez... I'm kind of an a$$.

bumknees
05-06-2011, 12:34 AM
Generic carbon bikes (i.e. "Chinarellos") that the owners paint/add Pinarello/Kuota/some other "name brand" logos. I don't have anything against people buying inexpensive frames, but I just find it tacky to try to pass it off as something else.

On the other hand, I've seen people actually add "Chinarello" decals on their generic carbon frames, and I sort of think that's cool...

Also, people on $$$ bikes who you expect to be bike-informed wearing their helmets backwards (so they look like coneheads).

rice rocket
05-06-2011, 12:39 AM
3) Poorly thought out custom builds - basically the inverse of #1. I might appreciate you trying, but if you don't pull it off, its just too bad. This doesn't require big money, it requires melding form and function into a ride that fits, serves its purpose, and is aesthetically pleasing (as judged by me, of course).

What constitutes a poorly thought out build? Examples?

echappist
05-06-2011, 12:47 AM

people pretending to be bike snobs, obviously :p

now that i opened myself to my own criticism, i'll have a go at it:

-people who can't handle bikes and don't bother learning how
-lack of saddle-to-bar-drop, unless the rider really really needs it
-unaerodynamic tri/TT set ups. If i'm more aero in my drops than you are un your aerobars, something ain't right
-anatomic bends (whatever you call the Ritchey biomax bars)

toasttoast
05-06-2011, 01:13 AM
My biggest bit of snobbery: people who don't use the drops on a road bike.

If you need compact bars or a +17 stem to make the drops usable, then do it. Otherwise, you might as well chop off half of your handlebars :)

bikemoore
05-06-2011, 01:58 AM
I'm a terrible snob, but my snobbery sort of runs in reverse. I get snobbish towards anything that is more expensive than I'm willing to pay. Rapha & Assos clothing, SIDI shoes, $4K+ carbon framesets, etc. I am into upper-mid-range value, preferably on sale. Then I become a snob against anyone who spends more as I think that they just have more money than sense. Its not pretty, but it is my particular form of snobbery. I just wouldn't be a proper roadie without it.

Pete Serotta
05-06-2011, 04:50 AM
whether it be jewels, clothing, bikes, looks, whatever there always seems to be "in crowds" and those not in....it is even in schools on how you dress...

A biker is someone who has a smile on their face and rides a bicycle. THey should not worry if others wave, nod, or say hi... as long as the biker enjoys what they are doing.

It does not matter what their age is - for I am older than dirt, and enjoy riding and it has even recently helped me with my health!!!!

It does not matter what equipment is ridden on for if the biker enjoys it that is all that matters. Enjoy it!.... very little on the bike will make you faster but that makes you ride more and thus faster you become

Too much weight on the biker is ok for they would weigh more and be less healthy if they were not riding.... AND it does not make them inferior to anything.

Wheels, frames, clothing, sounds as rooted in snobbery as wheels, clothing, cars, etc do for the non riders...

Please do not attack others for what they looks like-things like age, weight, nationality, or social economics.... :bike: :bike:

and no "snobbery" here on the forum nor attacks...THANKS PETE :crap:

1centaur
05-06-2011, 05:13 AM
When I started this thread I thought it would tell us a lot more about people than about bikes. I think I was right.

Happiness comes in many forms.

slowandsteady
05-06-2011, 05:23 AM
... I like lugged framesets and positions that allow for bar height to be within 1-2cm of saddle height. I will be 60 in November and with my lack of flexibility, the "riv" fit allows to enjoy my many hours of cycling. So, I look at the many modern carbon framesets, and just have no interest in them, whatsoever, period. I guess that this is snobbery.
Don C.

Don - that is not snobbery at all! THAT my dear friend is reality and a sense of comfort and understanding of oneself that only come with age (and wisdom).

gearguywb
05-06-2011, 05:33 AM
Any rider that is alongside of me and says (in a snobby voice) "is that STEEL? How old is it? While riding the newest/latest/greatest Chinarello.

jpw
05-06-2011, 06:16 AM
who the hell came up with brifter in the first place? I had not heard it untill a few years ago. It was always Ergo or STI.

Probably a sramism.

jpw
05-06-2011, 06:18 AM
Too many framesets that can only take a 23mm tire.

jblande
05-06-2011, 06:26 AM
arguments concerning gear that are justified by reference to what the pros do or use

rugbysecondrow
05-06-2011, 06:26 AM
I am snobbish not about the bike so much but about how it is ridden. I enjoy training and getting a workout but not every ride is a training ride. I have friends whom I won't ride with very often because they never look up to enjoy where they are at. Head down and mashing the whole time. It is akin to going to a fine dining establishment and shoveling the food in like you were at the smorgasbord. This world is beautiful, art in motion and alive and it is a damn shame that people look past it.

So I am snobbish about the ride more often than the bike.

If I had to pick a specific part, it would be toe cages on a nice bike.

William
05-06-2011, 06:37 AM
Fixed Sachs bicycles with cards in the spokes chained to trees outside major Universities. :crap:

:p

William

palincss
05-06-2011, 06:49 AM

I first saw it on Sheldon's site, which is pretty good provenance in my book.

As for "Ergo or STI," now that there are at least 4 brands of the things, what term would you prefer to use when speaking of them all, rather than just the Shimano, or Campagnolo, or SRAM, or Sturmey Archer brands? BRake + shiFTER works pretty well, certainly better than SHIFTer + bRAKE.

duke
05-06-2011, 06:54 AM
Recumbents.....
duke

RPS
05-06-2011, 07:02 AM

Probably the use of the word “dampening” to describe all reduction in vibration. It’s such oversimplified and flawed technical reasoning that often leads to poor conclusions.

BTW, dampening is getting wet, and is not damping. I’ve made that mistake myself on occasions when typing too fast. In a way that makes me the recipient of my own snobbery. :rolleyes:

Ti Designs
05-06-2011, 07:08 AM
People who don't know what they are talking about, but woun't shut up (cause it's just about riding a bike - how complicated could that be?) For example: People who talk about climbing gears, but can't get up a hill if their lives depended on it.

I'll take the bike snob thing one extra step and admit that I'm a bike shop snob - that's the worst. People come into the shop all the time and say "I'm looking for something from last year that's less expensive". I have a number of answers I could give them: "You're about 6 months late for last years bikes", or maybe "what we have left over are the very large, the very small and the very bad - which do you want?". Does anyone ever stop to think that maybe if we had something good for less, it would be the first thing I showed them? Do other retail shops keep older inventory hidden away for the few customers who ask??? And if you're a woman in your 60's and you're buying a helmet, you probably don't have to tell me that you're not going to race - I get that... (I say woman 'cause any 4 guys on bikes turns into a bike race)

Fixed
05-06-2011, 07:30 AM
i guess i like all bikes that are being used . snobbery for me is the riders fitness you can tell if a riders fit or not fast .
cheers

topher
05-06-2011, 07:36 AM
What constitutes a poorly thought out build? Examples?

I'm not talking about a custom frame, I'm talking about do-it-yourself wrenching, and putting together a bike with components that don't make sense, don't fit right, look bad, etc. I think there are countless examples...

FlashUNC
05-06-2011, 07:37 AM
That's funny because I'm pretty sure that technically it's correct. What do you want me to call it. "all the parts hanging from the bike"??? "gingerbread"?

A group is totally fine. Let's not all act like we're using some magical word without an English equivalent.

RPS
05-06-2011, 07:41 AM
People who don't know what they are talking about, but woun't shut up (cause it's just about riding a bike - how complicated could that be?) For example: People who talk about climbing gears, but can't get up a hill if their lives depended on it.
Maybe this conflict is rooted in knowledge and ability being two different things.

Just because a professional can climb doesn’t mean he knows crap about anything. He may be able to win a race and still be a complete moron, including about gearing. Strong legs and lungs don’t make a person bright.

goonster
05-06-2011, 07:43 AM
"what we have left over are the very large, the very small and the very bad - which do you want?".
Instant classic. Line of the year. :hello:

I sincerely hope you actually use this from time to time.

oldpotatoe
05-06-2011, 07:47 AM
A 5' 6" tall, 200 pound, 42" waist, in size medium spandex gassing about having just ordered 1,200 gram wheels to go up hills faster.

Hear, hear!!

William
05-06-2011, 07:54 AM
Maybe this conflict is rooted in knowledge and ability being two different things.

Just because a professional can climb doesn’t mean he knows crap about anything. He may be able to win a race and still be a complete moron, including about gearing. Strong legs and lungs don’t make a person bright.

In a similar vein...

In all my years of training this has held true:

There are great instructors who are not good fighters.
There are great fighters who are horrible instructors.
The percentage of those who can do both well is fairly low.

Same holds true for just about anything.

William

Joachim
05-06-2011, 07:58 AM
When someone in a complete Liquigas [insert other ProTour team name here] outfit with replica bike (but 100 lbs heavier than the average pro rider) jumps on my wheel when I'm out training and after 5mi comes past me and asks if I want to race....

bicycletricycle
05-06-2011, 07:58 AM
incorrect cable housing lengths especially huge rear derailleur loops. I like this thread, i think that some good venting is going on here.

bicycletricycle
05-06-2011, 07:59 AM
who r u guys talking about?

I know who you mean--that's one of the things that always kept me from considering a bike from them. It's the short, crazy angled stem. Had a weird fit session there too.

firerescuefin
05-06-2011, 08:05 AM
I am snobbish not about the bike so much but about how it is ridden. I enjoy training and getting a workout but not every ride is a training ride. I have friends whom I won't ride with very often because they never look up to enjoy where they are at. Head down and mashing the whole time. It is akin to going to a fine dining establishment and shoveling the food in like you were at the smorgasbord. This world is beautiful, art in motion and alive and it is a damn shame that people look past it.

So I am snobbish about the ride more often than the bike.

If I had to pick a specific part, it would be toe cages on a nice bike.

Paul, aren't you the guy with 2 custom Bedfords and one...or the thought of one on the way :no: ......SNOB :)

Ti Designs
05-06-2011, 08:19 AM

Maybe not a complete moron - he has learned what works for himself. This is a key point when talking about this forum because that perspective comes into play all the time. Half the threads related to gearing start with "I use..." which is no more valid than what the partial moron racer has to say. In defense of the semi-moron pro racer, they have technique based on their own strength and gearing based on the same. The bottom line is they can get up hills, and they probaby don't know they're a moron. Cycling bliss...

We have a guy who rides with us who is a true mutant. We're talking 450+ watts constant. He's somewhat new to the sport, so I said something about fitting him better on his bike. One of the other guys on the ride (also getting his legs ripped off by the mutant) said "if you do a fitting on him, do it wrong!"

William
05-06-2011, 08:19 AM
Honestly,

The only things that really bother me is seeing someone riding a bike that is either way too small or too large for the person on it. Or seeing a person riding a bike that is close to the right size, but the saddle is set too low or too high.

I guess the sight of rocking hips or the "monkey humping a football" posture bothers me. Other then that I'm just happy to see people riding.

William

rugbysecondrow
05-06-2011, 08:20 AM
Paul, aren't you the guy with 2 custom Bedfords and one...or the thought of one on the way :no: ......SNOB :)

Yeah, but they are TIG'd. :D That means I am a man of the people.

Clydesdale
05-06-2011, 08:20 AM
I'm pretty low-key about what bothers me but when I see an ad for a used bike that includes the line "never ridden in the rain" it trips my snob button big time!

William
05-06-2011, 08:22 AM
I'm pretty low-key about what bothers me but when I see an ad for a used bike that includes the line "never ridden in the rain" it trips my snob button big time!

What about a used Cross bike listed as "Never ridden in the mud"?

:)

William

jischr
05-06-2011, 08:33 AM
This is wrong to me on so many levels,,,but he's in the time trial and I'm not. Who has the snobbing rights?

martinrjensen
05-06-2011, 08:47 AM
I'm starting to think that most of the replies here are not really about being a snob as much as pet peeves and dislikes.
Doesn't being a snob mean you are looking down on something and or someone?

I definitely do have snobbish feelings sometime, and the attitudes come out sometimes, but I try to keep them to myself.
They are the old standbys if I can narrow down the ones to biking only. I am more likely to relate to a road biker when riding than other type riders. Yes, I sometimes feel superior when I see someone riding a totally ill fitting bike.

martinrjensen
05-06-2011, 08:50 AM
Are you talking about the weight thing? Actually if you on a flat time trial, it's probably not that big a deal. He would get killed on the hills I'm sure...This is wrong to me on so many levels,,,but he's in the time trial and I'm not. Who has the snobbing rights?

EDIT: Oh, I missed the tennis shoes too, nice touch

bumknees
05-06-2011, 08:55 AM
Is that a big gut (too many Michelob Ultras, perhaps), or just a very loose jersey? But yeah, he's riding and we're not...

This is wrong to me on so many levels,,,but he's in the time trial and I'm not. Who has the snobbing rights?

benb
05-06-2011, 09:00 AM
Having a "list" of what bikes you want to buy next could definitely be interpreted as snobbishness...

It makes it sound like you're more into buying bikes then riding.

endosch2
05-06-2011, 09:18 AM
Lately Ive been thinking about buying the cheapest wal-mart bike I can find, (Roadmaster: $80), limiting myself to a few upgrades to get the fit in range (say $25 total to pick up a used stem and seatpost), and forcing myself to ride it 1000+ miles. I am sure I could re-build any bike so that it would fiunction well and I also happen to fit the one size fits all 18" mountain frame. I bet I would be happy with it, and I would have some good experiences.

I do get a little tired with with some people who go on and on about handmade this or retro grouch "you need some silver bits in order to be authentic" that and wonder what is the real priority. Is it getting out and riding or is it having the right "look"?

I think doing the wal mart bike expirament would be a lot more unique these days than jumping into any esoteric garage frame builder thing.

I dont want to offend people, I just am thinking out loud. I know everyone has different values and tastes.

Pegoready
05-06-2011, 09:20 AM
Crappy bar tape jobs, like when I see a bike with gobs of electrical tape wrapped around the end and middle of the bar. Or super old bar nasty bar tape. Bar tape is <$10. Replace it at least once a year!

Ratty cycling clothing, garish brewery jerseys, charity ride jerseys (glad you did the ride, no need to advertise it!), wearing cycling caps or wool jerseys while chilling out. I have been guilty of this in the past.

Tom
05-06-2011, 09:22 AM
4) Not having the legs to back up a $$$$ ride. I'll compliment the bike, fantasize about it, and enjoy dropping the rider on the first climb.

When I was younger and a runner, I now and then would be out for a run and I'd pull up next to someone, say hi, remark how a nice day it was and then innocently ask how far they were headed... they'd say something that'd indicate they were out for a couple miles and I would - completely factually and with intent - say something about being out for fifteen or so today... have a good run and I'd simply run them off my heels. What an a--hole I could be.

I got mine, though, one year I got real sick and couldn't do anything for about nine months. I was just starting out again and this kid runs up next to me, says hi and notes how nice a day it was... I laughed and laughed.

That guy you see could be like my pal at work - last year his snowblower fell over on him and broke his leg, this spring he was traveling on business and broke his kneecap. You might get him the first time but try it twice if you like the taste of your own vomit...

EDS
05-06-2011, 09:28 AM
I like to snicker at people who think brand "x" is the "best" or material "y" is the "best."

Lewym
05-06-2011, 09:30 AM

. . unless the seller lives in Arizona. :cool:

bicycletricycle
05-06-2011, 09:40 AM
what about when people find out that you are into bicycles and the ask-

"who makes the best bicycle?"

asking this question about any topic as broad as bicycles shows a real lack in intelligence or at least thoughtfulness.

fiamme red
05-06-2011, 09:40 AM
I can't stand cycling advocates who have never ridden a bike in traffic, or never even ridden a bike at all.

Oh, and I can't stand Bike Snob NYC.

bicycletricycle
05-06-2011, 09:41 AM
snobs who think less of other snobs are the best :)

FlashUNC
05-06-2011, 09:46 AM

Man, Dave Zabriskie has let himself go.

martinrjensen
That still has to be considered part of the sport. I personally am as much into building them up as into actually riding them. Well not quite, but I do really like to build them up a lot.Having a "list" of what bikes you want to buy next could definitely be interpreted as snobbishness...

It makes it sound like you're more into buying bikes then riding.

Aaron O
what about when people find out that you are into bicycles and the ask-

"who makes the best bicycle?"

asking this question about any topic as broad as bicycles shows a real lack in intelligence or at least thoughtfulness.

I don't know, I think it just shows someone out of their depth. They aren't into it, so they don't understand the complexities.

I LOVE NYC Bikesnob...mostly because he makes fun of EVERYONE. C'mon...it's ok to laugh at ourselves and to know we're ridiculous.

benb
05-06-2011, 09:59 AM
That still has to be considered part of the sport. I personally am as much into building them up as into actually riding them. Well not quite, but I do really like to build them up a lot.

It is hard to figure out where to draw the line between someone struggling to find the perfect bike so they can ride at a comfort & performance level they want versus someone who is just buying out of a desire to collect and revel in consumerism.

I'd never really give anyone crap about it.. getting onto the right bike is tough even when there are an endless stream of fitters, salespeople, etc.. who think they can figure it out easily. But definitely some people go way over the line and they're just buying lots of stuff because buying stuff makes them feel better as opposed to those of us who feel good from the act of riding itself.

I *love* BSNYC.. Cyclists need to be made fun of just like everyone else and he does a great job skewering us all.

indyrider
05-06-2011, 10:06 AM
I hate it when somebody has a bigger and better quiver of rigs than I do, which probably includes most all of you...that count?

gdw
05-06-2011, 10:08 AM
This has got to rank among the most obnoxious threads in forum history. You folks need to ride more and whine less.

Aaron O
05-06-2011, 10:12 AM
This has got to rank among the most obnoxious threads in forum history. You folks need to ride more and whine less.

Or you need to chill out, have a fun discussion that was admittedly silly from the beginning, and understand that while we're working, we can't ride anyway.

Joachim
05-06-2011, 10:16 AM

Again, all in good fun. Why does it have to turn ugly everytime someone dislikes something? I think this thread is amusing. Don't take life too seriously.

Charles M
05-06-2011, 10:19 AM
People that bitch about other folks doing things to make their cycling more enjoyable.

Aaron O
05-06-2011, 10:20 AM
It is hard to figure out where to draw the line between someone struggling to find the perfect bike so they can ride at a comfort & performance level they want versus someone who is just buying out of a desire to collect and revel in consumerism.

I'd never really give anyone crap about it.. getting onto the right bike is tough even when there are an endless stream of fitters, salespeople, etc.. who think they can figure it out easily. But definitely some people go way over the line and they're just buying lots of stuff because buying stuff makes them feel better as opposed to those of us who feel good from the act of riding itself.

I *love* BSNYC.. Cyclists need to be made fun of just like everyone else and he does a great job skewering us all.

I think a lot of my opinions and values were formed at an early age by MAD magazine...and their fundamental worldview was laugh at everyone, especially yourself. It's good to know we're ridiculous. It's good not to take your own BS seriously. I know I'm the dude with a white saddle and white tape who owns a better bike than he needs or can justify...but I'm ok with that! I'm the fat old guy with the great bike I used to laugh at when I was 16.

Karma baby!

rugbysecondrow
05-06-2011, 10:40 AM

Irony

katematt
05-06-2011, 11:55 AM
Random acts of strength or surges in a beautiful paceline.

bicycletricycle
05-06-2011, 12:35 PM
Random acts of strength or surges in a beautiful paceline.

that really does suck. a good paceline can be hard to get going and unless there is an unofficial stop sign sprint point ahead it should never be broken.

stuckey
05-06-2011, 04:09 PM
Badly built Randonneur framesets you know the majority of them with ill fitting racks, fenders and nasty fork bends. There are maybe a handful of people doing these bikes right.
Seatmasts are a close second they are idiotic.

Firenze
05-06-2011, 06:53 PM

You seem to think that overweight people should not ride bikes. Just to put a face on it for you, at six foot, 270 pounds and 63 years old, I am the guy you are making fun of (twice in this thread)..

Arch

fourflys
05-06-2011, 07:02 PM
You seem to think that overweight people should not ride bikes. Just to put a face on it for you, at six foot, 270 pounds and 63 years old, I am the guy you are making fun of (twice in this thread)..

Arch

not sure but I think the point being made here is someone who would obsess over a few hundred grams in wheels when there are few kilograms to lose off the body...

I didn't take it as an overweight person shouldn't ride a bike...

although I've been wrong before...

dbh
05-06-2011, 07:04 PM
Trek bikes. Let's be honest.

erolorhun
05-06-2011, 07:08 PM
Pet peeve/"snobbery": people with pro kit. monochrome FTW

Nil Else
05-06-2011, 07:31 PM
snobs who think less of other snobs
Snob-Snobs and Snob-Snob-Snobs... Atrocity. Glad we don't have any here. ;) :banana:

"Imagine" cycling forums without snobbery.

gemship
05-06-2011, 07:37 PM
I'm in search of a misanthrope cyclist

elvish presley
05-06-2011, 08:11 PM
-Hefty people with really expensive and lightweight bikes. (OK, I'm actually just jealous that I don't have an expensive/lightweight bike)

-Ridiculous saddle angles

-Really expensive bikes with ????ty platform pedals.

-Bikes that aren't ridden. People need to ride the ???? out of their bikes and not hang em on a wall and let them collect dust.

Kontact
05-06-2011, 09:41 PM
$6000+ non-custom, stock geometry, factory made bicycle frames.

Come on!

BillG
05-06-2011, 09:43 PM
that really does suck. a good paceline can be hard to get going and unless there is an unofficial stop sign sprint point ahead it should never be broken.

People who don't sprint at town lines because they want to keep the paceline going.

WickedWheels
05-06-2011, 10:27 PM
It is hard to figure out where to draw the line between someone struggling to find the perfect bike so they can ride at a comfort & performance level they want versus someone who is just buying out of a desire to collect and revel in consumerism...

...But definitely some people go way over the line and they're just buying lots of stuff because buying stuff makes them feel better as opposed to those of us who feel good from the act of riding itself.

Some of us look at bikes as art as well as machines for the act of bicycle riding. Part of the art form, I believe, is not only the physical manufacturing of the frame but also a thoughtful build. Personally, since I lack the skills to partake in the manufacturing process, I really enjoy the build process. I think it takes at least a decent amount of skill to spec out a bike taking all the important factors into consideration: intended use, rider, quality of manufacturer, quality of manufacturing, materials, aesthetics, weight, durability, etc.

Perhaps that's why I'm a snob about bikes that are built with in-house mail order components.

WickedWheels
05-06-2011, 10:31 PM
Almost forgot...

SRAM

Decent company with great customer service, but sub-par product, IMO. It usually is indicative of a rider who bought into the marketing hype, the weight of the grouppo, or has a bike spec'd by the manufacturer. I'll give a pass to the few that like the ergonomics... although the other two guys are so easy to get comfortable that I don't fully get even that appeal of the brand.

Jason E
05-06-2011, 10:59 PM
(I say woman 'cause any 4 guys on bikes turns into a bike race)

Hmmm. I thought the number was 2. :rolleyes:

19wisconsin64
05-06-2011, 11:09 PM
the following is true, and happened to me early this year.

my track bike is a truly fine japanese nagasawa.
it took a few years to find on in my size...and i built it up with hatta swan this, nitto that, sugino....you get the picture. njs all the way.

well, i had to try on my vintage fixed wheelset--c record track hubs laced to mavic rims.

i went to the velodrome for the maiden ride.
it was a clear day, i felt strong, and ........ this bike was slower than i could have possibly imagined. i checked everything over twice....couldn't figure out what the problem was.

then, the next week, i put on different wheelset with dura ace hubs laced to araya rims...... and wow!!!, now the thing flys like you wouldn't believe!!!

honestly, this is a case of a bike letting the rider know what is "acceptable" and what is not.

so i say this to my nagasawa keirin bicycle, now an appropriate njs bike:

(said with head down)

i sincerely apologize.
clearly i was not thinking correctly.
you are of a superior design, and i was foolish not to listen to my local keirin shop professionals when putting wheels on you.
i am shamed at my behavior.
if you do not feel i am a worthy rider, i accept your judgement.
i am deeply sorry to have offended you is such a manner.
you are truly the best frame in the world, and i have been lucky to have even ridden you once!
if you, in your greatness, can give me the chance to try to honor you by riding to several wins, in order to win back your trust, i would be eternally grateful.

(still with head down.....waiting for a reply)

(still waiting..........)

bicycletricycle
05-06-2011, 11:22 PM
sheriff star hubs might be the ultimate snob accessory. this signified by their hilarious pricing on the used market.

Sometimes i think that DA track stuff is the ultimate working mans quality component set. I guess all of the 7700 DA is like that, understated perfection.

EvanOT
05-07-2011, 03:51 AM
Trek bikes. Let's be honest.
I completely agree with this.
Trek, and anything they make is hands down the ugliest stuff on the market.

soulspinner
05-07-2011, 04:51 AM
Probably already said, the guy on the (insert expensive, sweet bike here) with a chain so loud you gotta say sumpthin.......... :bike:

bikemoore
05-07-2011, 06:44 AM
I thought of another of my snobbish prejudices: I look down on cyclists that use bike computers. You see, REAL cyclists (such as myself) know that hilly terrain, wind, heat, and early season lack of fitness will result a slower average speed and don't feel the need for some silly little device to tell us that. REAL cyclists also know that distance travelled makes no difference whatsoever....we just ride for as much time as we have and whatever terrain we cover during that time is fine....no need for something to convert the ride into numbers. REAL cyclists don't need a heart-rate monitor to tell us that this hill we are riding up makes our hearts beat faster. We know when we can and should ride harder or not. REAL cyclists have a sense of direction and know how to read a map and road signs when required.

It could also be that I am too cheap to buy multiple computers for multiple bikes, replace multiple batteries, consolidate data and also have a snobby attitude towards unecessary wires, sensors, mounts, etc polluting the look of an otherwise fine bicycle.

Pete Serotta
05-07-2011, 07:11 AM
THANKS!!!!!

Pete "aka the bike slob" :beer:

Aaron O
05-07-2011, 07:12 AM
sheriff star hubs might be the ultimate snob accessory. this signified by their hilarious pricing on the used market.

Sometimes i think that DA track stuff is the ultimate working mans quality component set. I guess all of the 7700 DA is like that, understated perfection.

DA 7700 is the ONLY DA group that ever got the aesthetics right IMO. Generally it's ugly as sin.

jpw
05-07-2011, 12:18 PM
Snobbery? Campagnolo :-O

bicycletricycle
05-07-2011, 12:39 PM
This is my first thread to go over 100 posts, I would just like to thank all of you for helping out and making this possible ;)

feeling like i should start adopting some kind of popular thread snobbery now.

dimsy
05-07-2011, 01:00 PM
you know what really grinds my gears?

people who give advice when you don't ask for it.

specifically on fit.

Pete Serotta
05-07-2011, 01:01 PM
:crap: and not a positive aspect of human nature :o

This is my first thread to go over 100 posts, I would just like to thank all of you for helping out and making this possible ;)

FixedNotBroken
05-07-2011, 01:02 PM
Snobbery? Campagnolo :-O

How is it snobbery? It's pure class :p

smontanaro
05-07-2011, 02:09 PM

Or the legs to back up white shoes?

I have none of the above: $$$$ ride, white shoes, or the legs to back up anything. :)

Skip

Erik.Lazdins
05-07-2011, 02:37 PM
some peeves:
bike computers
aero bars
bikes that don't fit the rider
riding with the knees sticking straight out
wheel suckers who don't announce they have latched on to you
riders who blow past you then pop fall back, then repeat the process
half wheelers
earpods
rearview mirrors
squirrels
rabbits
dogs that don't bark, intend to inflict damage to you and run 40 mph
beer bottles thrown at me from passing cars

Hey, thanks for reading

Erik.Lazdins
05-07-2011, 02:44 PM

Thanks for asking a great question :beer:

giverdada
05-07-2011, 08:41 PM
but definitely in this, a site i read all of the time.

it's = it is, as a contraction (it's really cool to post grammar snobbery)

its = belonging to 'it' (the snobbery will be its own downfall)

yeehaw. let's ride bikes. :rolleyes:

bicycletricycle
05-08-2011, 07:19 AM
euro wannabe a-holes who think that shaved legs are a requirement for making pedals go around in circles are my least favorite kind of snobs just in case anyone was wondering.

Grammar snobbery on an internet forum is pretty funny

1happygirl
05-08-2011, 07:42 AM
Did someone already mention naming a ride a Gran Fondo? Pretentious IMHO. Reading the other thread made me remember. Oh yeah and using acronyms and abbreviations that I have to look up 'cuz I don't know the meanings. Like imho. haha *** (believe it or not, i had to look that up)

avalonracing
05-08-2011, 07:48 AM
Hairy legs.

rugbysecondrow
05-08-2011, 08:44 AM
Hairy legs.
You would say that, wouldn't you? :)

godfrey1112000
05-08-2011, 10:41 AM
Now that was a great post, I think the "internets" allow us to think we are exempt from proper English and Grammer

I a going to ride also, and order the Large Shower Pass thank for the help on my earlier post

but definitely in this, a site i read all of the time.

it's = it is, as a contraction (it's really cool to post grammar snobbery)

its = belonging to 'it' (the snobbery will be its own downfall)

yeehaw. let's ride bikes. :rolleyes:

sjbraun
05-08-2011, 11:50 AM
I pity those who are serious about their peeves.
Which is not to say that that I lack my own set of snobbish conceits, too

Steve-who finds faux fixed gear riders (you know, the hipsters with the neon pink rims and tiny little handlebars who pretend to be fixed gear cool cats, but actually ride single speed drive trains) sort of ludicrous

Mr. Squirrel
05-08-2011, 05:16 PM
dear people,
what aggravates us are people who ride cheap wheels, and people who do not use quick releases.

mr. squirrel