PDA

View Full Version : Universal Sports Online Subscription - any good?

roguedog
05-05-2011, 10:15 AM
has anyone used the universal sports online cycling video on demand membership before? if so, can you weigh on your experience and if you think it was worth the $, please?

tia

echappist
05-05-2011, 11:46 AM
has anyone used the universal sports online cycling video on demand membership before? if so, can you weigh on your experience and if you think it was worth the $, please?

tia

i only bought the UCI world champion package, so take it for what it's worth

There was no audio commentary during the live coverage, nada. While it's good not to hear the inanities of Phil and Paul, it does get a bit pointless.

If you want live coverage, gazetta dello sport has free, live feed of every stage of the giro. Hell, they even track the breakaway and peloton.

1happygirl
05-05-2011, 12:02 PM
Awesome question. Do you get access to Universal Sports regular website?

My cable has universal sports on the budget/lowest basic cable and I love the TV channel. The website is awesome, but don't know about just paying for the website.

Elefantino
05-05-2011, 12:06 PM
I've paid each year for the Giro.

Pretty good coverage, with live and replays. Will do it again this year so I can watch the replays because I also try to watch Eurosport live. I dig Harmon and Kelly.

steampunk
05-05-2011, 05:23 PM
the frustrating thing here is that Universal Sports and Versus are owned by Comcast so the broadcast licenses for, say the Giro and the Tour are really under one owner. Doesn't help me one bit as my cable doesn't carry Universal Sports and Versus of course can't broadcast the Giro.

ultraman6970
05-05-2011, 05:41 PM
Verizon has them both. Probably you have to change the tear you are subscribed right now.

19wisconsin64
05-05-2011, 06:32 PM
hi,

www.cyclingfans.com

best free video website in the world....has links to every race that has video, and has multiple links to watch many of the races

cheers

http://www.cyclingfans.com/

i'm sure universal is very good too

1centaur
05-05-2011, 08:13 PM
I had the Giro package 2 years ago and found it very worthwhile, but you have to make sure the page you access it through after the race does not, say, show a picture of the stage winner (which I have complained about before). Bookmark a page without that spoiler. 2 years ago, the worst thing about the package was mundane navigation on the site.

Alan
05-05-2011, 08:28 PM
I usually watch via links on cyclingfans.com but I paid last year as most of the links were blocked in the US. You can try the first day to see if you can get some of the pirated sites but I wouldn't expect too much.

The classics were great as they were all on live and were not blocked. I am going to give the free sites a shot for the Giro but will see.

Alan

ckamp
05-05-2011, 09:28 PM
Does anyone know where to watch the replays. Perhaps a download site? Some of us have to work durng the day... :)

I would love to get universal sports but it is forbidden in CAN.

echappist
05-06-2011, 12:49 AM
Does anyone know where to watch the replays. Perhaps a download site? Some of us have to work durng the day... :)

I would love to get universal sports but it is forbidden in CAN.
steephill.tv when the event is live

cyclingtorrents.nl afterwards

ckamp
05-06-2011, 09:15 AM
steephill.tv when the event is live

cyclingtorrents.nl afterwards

Thanks!! Didnot know about the .nl site.