PDA

View Full Version : Just bought..

FixedNotBroken
05-05-2011, 03:00 AM
a LeMond today! The frame is in excellent shape and it has a full Campy Chorus 9 speed group. I am waiting on new hoods for the shifters and I can't wait. The wheels have Chorus hubs laced to Mavic open pros and are decently light. I have to get a new stem/seatpost/saddle/pedals and handlebars for it but other than that I will be set. I stripped the whole bike down to just the frame so I could clean all of the parts plus I am putting new cables and housing on the bike. I was thinking of a Campy Chorus seatpost in alloy but I can't think of a stem that would go well on here to match the seatpost..any suggestions would help!

Let me know what you guys think! I bought the whole bike for $485 and I thought that was an amazing deal!

Fixed
05-05-2011, 05:22 AM
nice find what kind of stem were you looking for ? i have a few extra i don't need
cheers

rugbysecondrow
05-05-2011, 06:11 AM
Looks like a fun ride, enjoy.

Bob Loblaw
05-05-2011, 07:45 AM
Velo-orange has a fantastic polished alloy stem. I ride one myself. At 140 grams it weighs less than some carbon stems, and it looks awesome.

http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/components/stems.html

BL

NRRider
05-05-2011, 08:20 AM
That's one heck of a deal you got there! Congrats!
Those alloy Campy seatposts are priced like gold these days. Hard to find deals.
Looks like you have a threadless fork? If so, and if you're going for the non-carbon look, you'll need some silver spacers and a silver stem. That VO someone else mentioned seems like a good bet. Of course then you'll want to get silver bars also....

FixedNotBroken
05-07-2011, 12:54 PM
nice find what kind of stem were you looking for ? i have a few extra i don't need
cheers

I was looking for something alloy, since I have an alloy post.

FlashUNC
05-07-2011, 02:25 PM
That's awesome.

fourflys
05-07-2011, 03:42 PM
nice! I've been looking out for a steel Lemond myself...

martinrjensen
05-07-2011, 03:50 PM
Nice bike. Don't know if you know it or not but those shifters look like they are upgradable to 10 speed if you were so inclined....
I did that. Had to change a $70 dollar indexing gear on the rear shifter only.

bike22
05-07-2011, 04:13 PM
what model lemond is that?

Fixed
05-07-2011, 04:56 PM
I was looking for something alloy, since I have an alloy post.
i have a salsa i am not using
cheers

FixedNotBroken
05-08-2011, 03:02 AM
nice! I've been looking out for a steel Lemond myself...

Search allofcraigs.com, that's what I had to do and I got lucky to find one near me with such a nice group on it, wheels, and in my size. It has Reynolds 853..high quality and not that heavy!

What was really amazing is that all of the parts..are in such immaculate condition..it's crazy. I stripped the whole bike and cleaned all of the parts. The teeth on the crank look new, all they needed was cleaning. The cassette is back to shiny and it has pretty much no wear on the cogs. The pulleys in the rear are great and the front is perfect in cosmetics/functionality. I CAN'T wait to take hi-res quality photos for you all because this was a rescue and when it's all done..you'll be amazed what i've done to bring this beauty back to it's glory days of the later 90's.

Personally I am fine with the 9 speed..keeps it classic :) almost. I just received the hoods new from Velo-Mine (Ben) and they are amazing. The frame is a LeMond Zurich and I believe it's a 97-99..I am not sure honestly, I want to know though.

I would love to see if anyone has a Nitto Pearl they aren't using or something comparable! Also, any suggestions to handlebars with those? I prefer short reach, 40cm, and something with the drops not too deep. Also, looking for a set of speedplay zero's!

I appreciate the compliments..now it's the patient part waiting for all of the part I have to order! :)

FixedNotBroken
05-08-2011, 04:58 PM
i have a salsa i am not using
cheers

I am going to get a quill stem I think. I am looking at the Nitto Pearl and the Nitto Dynamic.

FixedNotBroken
05-14-2011, 05:09 PM
It turns out..the wheels that are the bike are almost done. The hubs (Campy Chorus) are amazing and as you all know, will last for ever are great. The rims have bad pitting and DO NOT have many miles in them at all. The wheels are true and sold but the Mavic Open Pros (32 hole) are from I believe 96'-98' tops and are well worn. The question I have is..what rims should I get. This bike is going to be a training bike so I am not looking for anything expensive but I would like solid, not super heavy, durable rims/spoke/nipple ideas!

I know this could fit into one of the billions of wheels threads but I figured I would tag it to my LeMond thread! Thanks!

fourflys
05-14-2011, 07:02 PM
It turns out..the wheels that are the bike are almost done. The hubs (Campy Chorus) are amazing and as you all know, will last for ever are great. The rims have bad pitting and DO NOT have many miles in them at all. The wheels are true and sold but the Mavic Open Pros (32 hole) are from I believe 96'-98' tops and are well worn. The question I have is..what rims should I get. This bike is going to be a training bike so I am not looking for anything expensive but I would like solid, not super heavy, durable rims/spoke/nipple ideas!

I know this could fit into one of the billions of wheels threads but I figured I would tag it to my LeMond thread! Thanks!

I really like my DT Swiss RR 1.1's... of course Open Pros are always good as well...

bart998
05-14-2011, 11:50 PM
Velo-Orange also carries vintage style rims that will fit these hubs... Make sure you don't re-use the old spokes, always leads to spoke breakage at inopportune times.

FixedNotBroken
05-14-2011, 11:55 PM
Velo-Orange also carries vintage style rims that will fit these hubs... Make sure you don't re-use the old spokes, always leads to spoke breakage at inopportune times.

Okay! Yeah I know! Thanks for the reminder though :)