PDA

View Full Version : Phantom creak - solved!

BdaGhisallo
06-12-2005, 09:36 AM
Just a quick heads up on creak finding. I have been hearing a subtle creak for about a month when I get up and crank out of the saddle. I also heard it a little when seated and really grinding.

It sounded like a bb type creak so I worked in that area. Greased everything, put teflon tape on bb threads and torqued everything to spec (which always seems to be higher than I would ever tighten things when not using the torque wrench) and still the creak persisted.

Then I figured it must be the pedals. I changed them out and still I heard it.

Yesterday I found it. I was giving the back end a good wipe down and I noticed that the rear derrailleur was a little loose, so I tightened it down. Still there was a little movement. That's when I saw that the replaceable derr hanger was a little loose! So I took it off, cleaned it really well and reassembled it with a good dollop of locktite on the threads and presto, no creak on the ride this am!!

So beware of this and make it a regular thing, when checking over your machines, to check the hanger if you have the replaceable type.

EPOJoe
06-12-2005, 04:22 PM
Congratulations! Any time one of these annoying noises is found and eliminated, it's a victory for the entire cycling community :beer: .

FunkyPorcini
07-26-2005, 04:26 PM
okay so I have the same problem and have tried the same things except that I do not have a replaceable hanger so there are no bolts to tighten. Now, I have to say that the last time I teflon taped and greased the BB it did not stop right away but did stop the next day for a couple weeks. Now it is back to its old tricks again. It sounds like a stressing creak not a click.

I'm running Campy Chorus 10 speed throughout. Does anybody have any ideas?

Dude
07-26-2005, 04:31 PM
BB/cranks/pedals/cleats
headset/stem/steerer tube interface
cables/housing
quick release skewers
cassette tightened
freehub body loose/tight
saddle rails/seatpost interface
front der. clamp

thats a good place to start, of course it could really be any moving part on the bike, or any place something is clamped to something else. there are always more places but usually gets most of them.

William
07-26-2005, 04:35 PM
Good job! :banana:

I've been getting a nasty creak every time I power up on the climbs (seated climber). I pretty much figured it was the saddle/ seat post since I had it pushed all the way back. Needing a post with a lot of set back, I picked up a Hell-bent post and put it on. No more noises, much more solid ride. And the clamp is now sitting in the center of the rails like it should be. I think the Hell-Bent is best for larger riders who need a lot of set back.

William