PDA

View Full Version : wool baselayers Ibex vs. Icebreaker

stackie
05-04-2011, 12:50 AM
OK, I'm going to get some wool baselayers. I have a good amount of Ibex clothing that I use for base under casual clothes, so fit is much more loose. Will not work under cycling jerseys

I'd like to get something for cycling. I'm considering Ibex vs. Icebreaker. Obviously, Icebreaker is more economical. Is it worth it? Also, if I stick with Ibex, is the 17.5 worth the upcharge over 18.5 micron?

Your opinions valued.

Thanks,

Jon

rnhood
05-04-2011, 05:04 AM
With regards to fit and performance they are both top shelf so my advice is to go with price. Fit is imperceptibly snug which works great. 18.5 yarn is plenty thin and fine so any perceived benefit from 17.5 is largely academic. I would also worry about the durability/life expectancy of 17.5.

With regards to fashion and feel (hand) its going to be largely personal preference.

Choose your priorities and go from there.

Karin Kirk
05-04-2011, 07:10 AM
The Icebreaker 150 weight bodyfit tops are an ideal cycling baselayer. The fit is very trim and form-fitting and jersies layer perfectly over it. It comes in short sleeve or long sleeve and they are both great.

ols
05-04-2011, 08:07 AM
Another option to check out is the Swobo featherweight s/s baselayer. 100% new zealand merino as well. Mine is great. Soft and just the right amount of snug for me.

crankles
05-04-2011, 10:51 AM
I dont' own any icebreaker base layers, just a top, but i have two of the older (higher collar) ibex sleevelss base layers that and have held up to some serious washer abuse. They are snug fitting, so they are great for a cycling base later IMO.