PDA

View Full Version : Skewer handle parallel to ground or fork

jgspin
05-03-2011, 09:01 PM
I find that the skewer handle parallel to the fork more appealing than when parallel to the ground. In a group ride on the flats going say 22-24 mph I hardly pull and when I do it's probably for 2 minutes at most then I go back and suck wheel. Is there an aero drag that is really significant for a non-racer when the handle is in line with the fork?

HenryA
05-03-2011, 09:10 PM
That's where the skewer handle goes, along side of and behind the fork leg.
Its the law. :beer:

khjr
05-03-2011, 09:11 PM
I find that the skewer handle parallel to the fork more appealing than when parallel to the ground. In a group ride on the flats going say 22-24 mph I hardly pull and when I do it's probably for 2 minutes at most then I go back and suck wheel. Is there an aero drag that is really significant for a non-racer when the handle is in line with the fork?

Not a bad idea to file the leading surface down to a knife edge, and the squirrels will take you all the more seriously.

eddief
05-03-2011, 09:50 PM
parallel to the ground and facing backwards. mo aero, mo bettah. remember the guys in high school who wore green and yellow on Thursdays? point your levers up and join their club.

Brian Smith
05-03-2011, 11:07 PM
Put it on the right side behind the fork leg and parallel, and see if the "aero advantage" people want to contest you.

If you can drop them, it hardly matters if you prefer to run it pointed 45 degrees upward and forward.

Louis
05-03-2011, 11:13 PM
Put it on the right side behind the fork leg

One thing I don't remember seeing discussed is L vs R for the levers.

I put mine front QR lever on the left side to match my rear lever, which is on the left side.

I put my rear lever on the left side because there's so much other stuff on the right side, I figured it's busy enough there, might as well balance things out with the lever on left. Plus, it keeps the lever away from the the r-der housing and cable.

MattTuck
05-03-2011, 11:16 PM

It all depends on your personality. I like the suggestion to go pointing up and forward at a 45 degree angle. Offend the sensibility of as many roadies as you can, they take themselves far too seriously.

Louis
05-03-2011, 11:30 PM
I like the suggestion to go pointing up and forward at a 45 degree angle.

aka the "Ben Hur" style.

Steve in SLO
05-03-2011, 11:59 PM
Parallel with fork is best.
That being said, I might just point both forward next time I ride with a group and see if anyone notices.

Louis
05-04-2011, 12:05 AM
I might just point both forward next time I ride with a group and see if anyone notices.

Only if you bump wheels, hook their spokes with the QR lever and take them down.

A1CKot
05-04-2011, 01:29 AM
Only if you bump wheels, hook their spokes with the QR lever and take them down.

I had this happen at the start of the race but with a rear skewer that wasn't quite closed all the way. His front wheel spokes got between my frame and skewere :confused: and when we started... well I didn't go anywhere and sort of just tipped over :o. I was very embarrassed and hobbled over to neutral support. Was ready to go for the next lap when the mechanic stopped me and told me my skewer was fully opened.

Really strange day but now I make sure my skewers are all the way closed and as far inboard as possible.

rice rocket
05-04-2011, 02:05 AM
I had this happen at the start of the race but with a rear skewer that wasn't quite closed all the way. His front wheel spokes got between my frame and skewere :confused: and when we started... well I didn't go anywhere and sort of just tipped over :o.
Yeah, this is the reason I've been told to go skewer directly vertical over the fork blade (perpendicular to the ground), and rear should bisect the seatstays/chainstays.

oldpotatoe
05-04-2011, 07:37 AM

Oh yes and when crimping the cable ends, ensure you crimp them for/aft instead of perpendicular to the bike for the most aero-ness.

martinrjensen
05-04-2011, 08:05 AM
Remove the skewer levers.
I gained a significant speed difference when I just removed the skewer levers and replaced both nuts with chromed half nuts. I bought a special German made aluminum and titanium Crecent wrench to fit the nuts if I need to remove the tire on a ride.

Lionel
05-04-2011, 08:25 AM
Remove the skewer levers.
I gained a significant speed difference when I just removed the skewer levers and replaced both nuts with chromed half nuts. I bought a special German made aluminum and titanium Crecent wrench to fit the nuts if I need to remove the tire on a ride.
:)

henrypretz
05-04-2011, 09:14 AM
aka the "Ben Hur" style.
:D

Z3c
05-04-2011, 09:24 AM
Where do you send nominations for dumbest thread of the month?

Honestly..

Fixed
05-04-2011, 09:31 AM
i turn my ft slightly upwards and use the fork for leverage the back i turn forward and use the chainstay /seatstay for leverage ..palms on q.r.fingers on bike fork or stays .. .. but i ride fixed most of the time and use a peanut butter wrench for that
cheers

goonster
05-04-2011, 09:43 AM
The first Campy logo shows the qr lever parallel to the ground

http://www.campagnolo.com/images/logo1.gif

eddief
05-04-2011, 09:49 AM
check the lower left photo in this gallery for Serotta products:

http://www.serotta.com/Bikes/Road/LegendSE/

dekindy
05-04-2011, 09:54 AM
check the lower left photo in this gallery for Serotta products:

http://www.serotta.com/Bikes/Road/LegendSE/

http://www.serotta.com/Bikes/Road/OttrottSE/
Check the upper right gallery photo.

Hawker
05-04-2011, 10:18 AM
I was just getting ready to ride, then I read this thread. I'm so confused now...I'm just going to stay inside and watch The View.

eddief
05-04-2011, 10:19 AM
Let us know.

rugbysecondrow
05-04-2011, 10:25 AM
http://www.serotta.com/Bikes/Road/OttrottSE/
Check the upper right gallery photo.

Its conclusive that proper placement is inconclusive.

Cheers

Paul

Charles M
05-04-2011, 10:37 AM
It depends in the shape of the qr handle.

Zips new qr are designed to go parralel to ground. Some are shaped flat for curved to tuck behind the fork, behind the seat stays or between the chain and seat stays.

jgspin
05-04-2011, 01:51 PM
Where do you send nominations for dumbest thread of the month?

Honestly..

Next to "How to be rude and insult people and feel superior."

Man, this is a tough crowd....just can't please everybody. :crap:

jgspin
05-04-2011, 01:53 PM
It all depends on your personality. I like the suggestion to go pointing up and forward at a 45 degree angle. Offend the sensibility of as many roadies as you can, they take themselves far too seriously.

Now, I see your point... :beer:

1happygirl
05-04-2011, 01:54 PM
Next to "How to be rude and insult people and feel superior."

Man, this is a tough crowd....just can't please everybody. :crap:

okay I'll start since I'm a smart aleck when I'm sick this looooooong.

Just Kiddin'

Duh, it goes parallel to the fork. Helllooooooo AND on the same side as the deraullier just like I was taught when I went for my first ride. Heeeellllllooo.

steampunk
05-04-2011, 06:11 PM
That's where the skewer handle goes, along side of and behind the fork leg.
Its the law. :beer:

RULE 41:
Quick release angle on the front skewer shall be an upward angle which tightens just aft of the fork and the rear quick release shall tighten at an angle that bisects angle between the seat and chain stays. It is acceptable, however, to have the rear quick release tighten upward, just aft of the seat stay, when the construction of the frame or its dropouts will not allow the preferred positioning. For Time Trial bikes only, quick releases may be in the horizontal position facing towards the rear of the bike. This is for maximum aero effect.

from the V.

oldpotatoe
05-04-2011, 06:16 PM

NICE LOGO!!

PaulE
05-04-2011, 07:24 PM
Everybody knows that quick release levers should be always parallel to the fork leg and rear chainstay. That is so you can secure them to the frame and fork with automotive hose clamps!

chuckroast
05-04-2011, 07:33 PM
If you are a Dem, put it on the left side. If you are a Pub, the right. If you are young and easily aroused, point it up. If you are old and need an occasional chemical assist, point it horizontal or slightly downward.

Dekonick
05-04-2011, 09:13 PM
If you are a Dem, put it on the left side. If you are a Pub, the right. If you are young and easily aroused, point it up. If you are old and need an occasional chemical assist, point it horizontal or slightly downward.

:banana:

martinrjensen
05-04-2011, 09:42 PM
yes, but they also show "wings" for a fork.....Do you have wings for a fork? Just askin....The first Campy logo shows the qr lever parallel to the ground

martinrjensen
05-04-2011, 09:44 PM
I like this thread. It's the first thread I have seen like this that was not taken seriously by even one person....Where do you send nominations for dumbest thread of the month?

Honestly..

rice rocket
05-04-2011, 09:59 PM
yes, but they also show "wings" for a fork.....Do you have wings for a fork? Just askin....
Yes.

My fork legs aren't parallel either.

Bob Loblaw
05-04-2011, 10:28 PM
I like my skewers like I like my women. Tightly secured in the horizontal position. :p

BL

rugbysecondrow
05-05-2011, 06:04 AM
I like my skewers like I like my women. Tightly secured in the horizontal position. :p

BL

I like mine open and loose, not good for skewers though.

dekindy
05-05-2011, 07:53 AM

BL

Oh, my!

max_powers
05-05-2011, 09:11 AM
I had this happen at the start of the race but with a rear skewer that wasn't quite closed all the way. His front wheel spokes got between my frame and skewere :confused: and when we started... well I didn't go anywhere and sort of just tipped over :o. I was very embarrassed and hobbled over to neutral support. Was ready to go for the next lap when the mechanic stopped me and told me my skewer was fully opened.

Really strange day but now I make sure my skewers are all the way closed and as far inboard as possible.

That would not have happened if you place the rear lever between the chain and seat stays. This is common knowledge for anyone that rides in a pack.

bart998
05-05-2011, 06:42 PM
The aero drag is hardly noticeable or measurable. But on a group ride you might hook the lever on another rider's wheel and open it. Up along the fork please for safety.

bicycletricycle
05-05-2011, 06:55 PM
pointed forward for possible skewering of opponents

false_Aest
05-05-2011, 08:38 PM
This thread is cutting off my oxygen.

Please </thread>

khjr
05-05-2011, 08:46 PM
pointed forward for possible skewering of opponents

...and for collection of their ears!

jgspin
05-06-2011, 12:06 PM
I like mine open and loose, not good for skewers though.

...I'm not even gonna touch that one...

That's what she said. :D

fourflys
05-06-2011, 12:45 PM

I'm gonna guess that's for marketing of the name.....

jemoryl
05-07-2011, 08:58 AM
Damn, I miscalculated back in the '70s when I got that SunTour tatoo!