PDA

View Full Version : Pearl Izumi - A Pleasant Surprise

mgm777
05-03-2011, 07:18 PM
For my cycling apparel, I wear mostly Assos. Over the years I have worn other brands, but eventually, always gravitated back to Assos. For bibs, I wear the new FI-Mille-S5 and the older version as well. Recently, I purchased a pair of Pearl Izumi Pro IN-R-Cool bibs with the new 4D seamless chamois. They were significantly less expensive than my Assos and based primarily on cost, I thought they would be a less costly alternative for shorter rides and daily training. As for performance, I didn’t have high expectations. About three years ago, I had a pair of their Pro level bibs with their top, 3D orange chamois with all kinds of welded layers and seams. A couple of hours in that bib short was akin to putting my parts on a belt sander. Additionally, they wore thin and became translucent prematurely, in my opinion. Today, however, was a completely different, unexpected and pleasant PI experience. About 5 miles into my 25 mile lunch-time ride, I noticed that I didn’t notice my bibs. These bibs are remarkably comfortable in a you-don’t-notice-them kind of way. I can’t speak to the IN-R-COOL feature because it hasn’t been warm enough for that to be an issue here, yet. But the pad, oh the pad, is just perfect. No more funky scar-inducing, raw flesh rubbing, pseudo-tech chamois. I think they used the same 4D Seamless pad in last year’s version as well, so I think deals/sales can be found on them. As an admitted Assos-phile, I can honestly say that I am really impressed with Pearl Izumi’s Pro bib short. If you’re looking to save a few FRNs, check them out. They’re not the PI of a few years ago. Their product development folks are producing some very nice stuff. I also bought their Pro soft shell full zip jersey recently and have been equally impressed. If you haven’t tried PI in a few years, like me, give them another shot. You just might be very pleasantly surprised. And…no, I don’t work for PI.

Charles M
05-03-2011, 07:39 PM

avalonracing
05-03-2011, 08:23 PM
After taking quite a few years off from PI due to quality issues I also tried one of their top tier long sleeve full zip jerseys this winter. I'm really impressed. The fit is great, the build is solid and the fabric was great. Admittedly it was a $180 LS jersey so it better be good but I got it for half off so it was a really nice buy.

Louis
05-03-2011, 10:08 PM
For anything over 1 hr I use PI shorts and have been quite happy with them.

Not sure how they compare to the super-premium stuff, and given how well the PI works for me I probably won't ever find out.

Louis

gone
05-03-2011, 10:18 PM
I had the same experience with the 3D chamois as the OP and they basically went into my "short ride only" pile. I'm always on the lookout for decent "everyday" shorts & bibs that aren't super expensive so I may give the new stuff a try.

Thanks for the recommendation.