PDA

View Full Version : Freehub stopped clicking

maxdog
05-03-2011, 11:23 AM
I was out riding the other day with a friend, who I believe has chorus hubs, and his freehub stopped clicking when coasting. I thought maybe the pawls got gunked up. I was planning on pulling the bolt and seal, and squirting some light oil in there. I would appreciate any expert commentary on this situation. Thanks.

rePhil
05-03-2011, 11:28 AM
I have a quiet one too. No performance issues at all. They come apart so easily why not just take it apart, clean things up and regrease the bearings while you are at it?

TimmyB
05-03-2011, 02:50 PM
Was it loud before and suddenly stopped? If it's always been quiet, I wouldn't worry about it... A quiet freehub is a good thing in my book! Different freehubs are well... different! My ksyrium sl freehub's silent when properly maintained, while my reynolds rebranded dt swiss 240s wakes up people 10 miles away. Taking it apart, squirting a little phil tenacious oil in and putting it back together would be my suggestion if you're worried. It's a good thing to do from time to time anyways. Good luck :beer:

mandasol
05-03-2011, 04:27 PM
I have a quiet one too. No performance issues at all. They come apart so easily why not just take it apart, clean things up and regrease the bearings while you are at it?

Agree super easy to take apart with tools you probably already have. Putting them back is easy too but adjusting the load on the bearings takes a little bit of finesse - not too tight, not too loose.

If you haven't taken one apart yet check out the campy documentation, just to make sure you don't mess up. I only say that because the hub is practically all alloy and is easy to scuff up alloy.

http://www.campagnolo.com/repository/documenti/en/7225312_RECORD_Hubs_0407.pdf