PDA

View Full Version : possible skeletal alignment issues due to fall on road bicycle

drewski
05-03-2011, 09:33 AM
Took a bad spill about 1 month ago. Nothing broken but lots of sore
ribs, hip pain. Pain is about 99% gone so started riding and noticing the following:

1.Some numbness and tingling in the hip, calf.

2. When I walk I have a kind of Fred Sanford limp going. Right
leg is fine but the left is kind of getting pulled. I feel like
the dreaded captain Roberts after he was rescuticitated by
Miracle Max in the "Princess Bride".

I was thinking about going to a chiropractor but not sure if I should.
I have been doing some stretching and that helps a little but
Sanford limp and numbness are still there. Feels like my left foot
is pointing out the wrong way. Something in my pelvic, hip area
seems to be out of wack.

Hoping someone who has taken a fall or two and had to deal with
skeletal alignment problems could weigh in.

HenryA
05-03-2011, 01:05 PM
Its hard to guess what another person feels even when they describe it fully.

I've used my body hard enough that I know I have good reasons to feel the way I do - I pretty much know why I hurt. Chiropractic works wonders for me and has for a while now.

You kinda --don't know-- why you feel bad other than you fell. If I were you, I think I'd ask my physician --and-- my chiropractor for some information/diagnosis before I did any treatment. If something is really out of whack you should find that out first so you can treat it appropriately and not cause more injury.

A good chiropractor won't go jerking you around if they think there might be some damage already and that their adjustments could cause more damage. The trick is to be sure you find a good one. Ask your physically active friends for recommendations. Maybe ask your physician too. Unfortunately, some think DCs are quacks but ask anyway.

RPS
05-03-2011, 01:46 PM
ribs, hip pain. Pain is about 99% gone so started riding and noticing the following:
....snipped......
I’m not sure what “skeletal alignment” problems entail, but considering the way my body has been repairing itself lately one month doesn’t seem like that long a period. If your symptoms are still improving I’d give it a little more time before getting too concerned.

I’ve always assumed that serious injuries make me “adjust” movement in order to cope during the healing process which unfortunately sometimes adversely affects other parts of the body. As an example, an injured foot might end up affecting a hip, knee, or making my back sore. If I’m not used to limping on a regular basis and suddenly my foot keeps me from walking “normally”, then I expect other parts of my body may react poorly to the newly-introduced limping.

I expect similar with most injuries; whether bike related, working muscles too hard, or the more recent tree limb falling against my leg. :crap:

rugbysecondrow
05-03-2011, 01:57 PM

1.Some numbness and tingling in the hip, calf.

2. When I walk I have a kind of Fred Sanford limp going. Right
leg is fine but the left is kind of getting pulled. I feel like
the dreaded captain Roberts after he was rescuticitated by
Miracle Max in the "Princess Bride".

I was thinking about going to a chiropractor but not sure if I should.
I have been doing some stretching and that helps a little but
Sanford limp and numbness are still there. Feels like my left foot
is pointing out the wrong way. Something in my pelvic, hip area
seems to be out of wack.

It is possible the discomfort or mobility issue is due to an over correction you made because of your previous pain. When I hurt my back, I was out of commission (not going to work) for about a week. Once walking around again, I limped and hobbled. Once my back was better, I notice hip and leg pain from over compensating. Give it a few more weeks and see what happens. Go to a good physical therapist, get some treatment ideas and follow the suggestions. It seems many repeat injuries are due to not follow instuctions as prescribed.

Get well soon.

weiwentg
05-03-2011, 02:04 PM
it's possible you could benefit from seeing a chiropractor. or a massage therapist. or both.

regularguy412
05-03-2011, 02:26 PM
it's possible you could benefit from seeing a chiropractor. or a massage therapist. or both.

+1 on this.

X-rays will be helpful.

Mike in AR:beer:

Climb01742
05-03-2011, 02:28 PM

what he said. a reduction in pain isn't always 'healing'. could just be the body adapting to a tweaked alignment. get thee to a good person. good luck.

Bob Loblaw
05-03-2011, 09:11 PM
This is a question for a medical professional who can examine and assess you, not a group of well-meaning but unqualified and geographically distant Internet acquaintances..

BL

Gothard
05-04-2011, 08:10 AM
This is a question for a medical professional who can examine and assess you, not a group of well-meaning but unqualified and geographically distant Internet acquaintances..

BL

+1. Chiropractors can be very useful, but you must have a diagnosis.
"skeletal alignment problem" is not a medical term. you need a working proposition. herniated disc, torn labrum, cracked cartilage, torn muscle or tendon, nerve root compression. These are some of the injuries you may have, and which necessitate treatment.
Going to any therapist without a solid diagnosis is like asking Dave Kirk to build you a custom frame without giving him any of your measures...