PDA

View Full Version : great ride yesterday...

AngryScientist
05-02-2011, 09:59 AM
I just thought i would share a story from the road yesterday.

it was a warm day, and i got a later start than i anticipated. temps is the 70s, which is hotter than i'm used to at this time of the year. got in a great, hard 60 miles with some members of my local group. i was riding home on my own reveling in the nice ride, but parched. i had long since drained my last water bottle, it was the end of a longer ride, and i was hungry and thirsty. i contemplated stopping at a convenience store, but figured i was just a few miles from home and i'd just ride it out.

then, a oasis in a virtual desert: two very young girls with a makeshift stand and sign: LEMONADE - 10 CENTS A CUP. Woo-hoo!

i knew for sure that all i had in my jersey pocket was a $10 bill, i instantly smiled and pulled right up. one of the girls starts fumbling with a cup, and i told them that i was very thirsty, and would like to fill my water bottle, she gladly agreed. i plopped down that $10, and the little girl looked very worried, "i dont think i have change" as she poked through her cup of nickles and dimes... I responded, "thats OK, i tip for good service, and you girls are A-OK!"

i honestly think i made these girls day, and for sure they made mine, that was some good lemonade at the end of a hot day! it was a nice "feel good" moment for me, and it reminded me of the fact that i'm about to be a dad, and how the simple things in life are sometimes so much fun. how innocent and free for $10 to be a such a fortune. midway through the transaction the girls mom, who was lurking in the background offered me change, which of course i declined. it was an excellent close to a great day. i feel very lucky to be able to take part in such simple pleasures, in the midst of such a sometimes troubled world. at that moment, all that mattered was a cold lemonade.

thanks for reading if you made it this far. :beer:

BCS
05-02-2011, 10:06 AM
As the father of 2 little girls, I can tell you that you made their day. I never pass a lemonade stand without stopping and buying something. Good work!

michael white
05-02-2011, 10:14 AM

it was a warm day, and i got a later start than i anticipated. temps is the 70s, which is hotter than i'm used to at this time of the year. got in a great, hard 60 miles with some members of my local group. i was riding home on my own reveling in the nice ride, but parched. i had long since drained my last water bottle, it was the end of a longer ride, and i was hungry and thirsty. i contemplated stopping at a convenience store, but figured i was just a few miles from home and i'd just ride it out.

then, a oasis in a virtual desert: two very young girls with a makeshift stand and sign: LEMONADE - 10 CENTS A CUP. Woo-hoo!

i knew for sure that all i had in my jersey pocket was a $10 bill, i instantly smiled and pulled right up. one of the girls starts fumbling with a cup, and i told them that i was very thirsty, and would like to fill my water bottle, she gladly agreed. i plopped down that $10, and the little girl looked very worried, "i dont think i have change" as she poked through her cup of nickles and dimes... I responded, "thats OK, i tip for good service, and you girls are A-OK!"

i honestly think i made these girls day, and for sure they made mine, that was some good lemonade at the end of a hot day! it was a nice "feel good" moment for me, and it reminded me of the fact that i'm about to be a dad, and how the simple things in life are sometimes so much fun. how innocent and free for $10 to be a such a fortune. midway through the transaction the girls mom, who was lurking in the background offered me change, which of course i declined. it was an excellent close to a great day. i feel very lucky to be able to take part in such simple pleasures, in the midst of such a sometimes troubled world. at that moment, all that mattered was a cold lemonade.

that's wonderful! wish I'd had the opportunity to do that.

phcollard
05-02-2011, 10:33 AM
That's very cool. Thanks for sharing such a nice moment! Good things in life are free - well you actually paid $10 but I bet their smile was priceless :beer:

Clydesdale
05-02-2011, 10:44 AM
Strong work.

We (by that I mean my wife) do a garage sale with the neighbors every year and our girls make cookies to sell. Amazes me every time how people who will haggle over whether an old pair of socks are worth a quarter or a nickel will plunk down a buck for a couple cookies to see a kid smile. Most people are pretty good when you get down to it.

Sometimes it is so easy to make someone's day. Good for you. Thanks for sharing the story.

Aaron O
05-02-2011, 10:48 AM

1. Congrats on impending fatherhood!!!

2. You made the girls day, they made your's and the story made mine. I remember selling lemonade as a kid, and that happening would have been great.

3. Somehow long rides help me to appreciate the simple and basic things, at least until a traffic altercation.

4. There's nothing worse than sucking fumes and not having liquid fuel with you! I'm thinking I may finally take the plunge on a hydration pack.

Fixed
05-02-2011, 10:55 AM
a full bottle of something great and cold after a long days ride is worth 10 bucks .. you made their day and a couple of friends and a mom .who knows they may view cyclist in a favorable light from now on, good for all of us .
you may have to change your name to nice scientist now though :)
cheers good job

tuxbailey
05-02-2011, 10:56 AM
Darn, now I feel obligated to stop by and by lemonade :)

1centaur
05-02-2011, 12:41 PM
I got bailed out on a long ride by a lemonade stand a couple of years ago. I overpaid and urged one of them to pick up my super light carbon bike. He was amazed how much lighter it was than the bike he rode (BMX). I have taken to carrying small bills in the summer so I won't have the $20 bill excuse not to stop.

Almost all girls "manning" the stands these days; when I was young it was all boys. I've pointed that out to girls at stands and told them I thought it was great. They just look at me like I must be really old :)

thegunner
05-02-2011, 12:44 PM
congrats on the soon to come fatherhood! and yeah man... to kids $10 is a fortune. you for sure made their day.

jgspin
05-02-2011, 01:39 PM
That's heartwarming. I bet that tastes a lot better than the ripoff $3 bottle of water at the quick stop stores.

snah
05-03-2011, 08:58 AM
Props AngryScientist!! :beer:

Hopefully it was National Lemonade Day, local Indpls businessman started this a few years back. Guaranteed, also as a father of four, that you were the days best customer.

junkfood
05-03-2011, 09:18 AM
Great Story!!
Congrats on the expecting child, kids are great!

Jake

roguedog
05-03-2011, 09:45 AM
that's an awesome story.

on behalf of all kids who have ever set up a lemonade stand/cookie stand/whatever stand, THANK YOU :beer: :beer: :hello: :hello:

you rock.