PDA

View Full Version : Never say never

jgspin
05-01-2011, 11:24 PM
I watched a video posted here a couple of weeks ago about a pro cyclist riding without a saddle for a few miles. I thought to myself " that would never happen to me". I was wrong.

Today 4 miles into my 90 mile ride I broke the bolt that secured the saddle onto the post. I almost impaled myself and almost crashed on the ground. Luckily instead of it happening while bombing down at 30 mph, I was climbing at 7-8 mph. Note to self "practice uncleating while climbing out of the saddle during an emergency". I rode home without a saddle cause the whole enchilada fell on the ground after I heard the loud crack. Scary.... Got another post and resumed my ride.

Louis
05-01-2011, 11:41 PM
I've had a seatpost failure kind of like that (different type of post) right at the start of my ride at the end of my driveway. I conclude that it was due to over-torquing.

I've since bought a torque wrench.

kenw
05-01-2011, 11:58 PM
to change the bolts on my seat posts. Thanks.

rustychisel
05-02-2011, 12:17 AM
two thoughts...

a 'please explain' to FSA, or a

new bolt and she'll be good as gold?

rice rocket
05-02-2011, 12:29 AM
FSA sucks ass.

My FSA seatmast topper keeps slipping and changing angles even when I torque the nuts off of it.

Add that to their list of already heavily discussed widespread catastrophic crank failures and aero bar failures and it makes you wonder how they're still in business. :crap:

rustychisel
05-02-2011, 01:13 AM
yes, but what do you really think?? :hello:

Only asking as I have one of those very SPs in my spare parts box, but my Easton EC70 will not die (not that I want it to)

BumbleBeeDave
05-02-2011, 05:11 AM
We are all EXTREMELY shocked and dismayed that you did not continue on to finish your originally planned ride--you wimp! :crap: :no: :butt: :mad:

Jen Voigt would have just kept right on going!

:p

BBD

AngryScientist
05-02-2011, 06:14 AM
that's disappointing. seems to be a very low quality bolt to break like that under the relatively low loads imposed by holding a saddle. i'd send a message to FSA with this picture, at least make them aware.

glad to hear you were able to keep the rubber side down.

skijoring
05-02-2011, 06:45 AM
FSA makes quality alloy handlebars, but everything else is a big thumbs down. :confused:

jgspin
05-02-2011, 09:52 AM
that's disappointing. seems to be a very low quality bolt to break like that under the relatively low loads imposed by holding a saddle. i'd send a message to FSA with this picture, at least make them aware.

glad to hear you were able to keep the rubber side down.

It's a one bolt design and you'd think it would be beefier. My FTP is well below 200 W and at 125 lbs, I don't really put a lot of force into the pedals. In fact I was trying to spin more on the climb so really not a lot of torque.

jgspin
05-02-2011, 09:59 AM
We are all EXTREMELY shocked and dismayed that you did not continue on to finish your originally planned ride--you wimp! :crap: :no: :butt: :mad:

Jen Voigt would have just kept right on going!

:p

BBD

I was not in the right state of mind so I kept going. I mean what else can happen? :)

But I needed to do that ride cause I have a big century with lot's of climbing this coming Saturday and I had 2 friends who waited for me ahead. It made for a more careful ride at least for me.

jgspin
05-02-2011, 10:05 AM
FSA sucks ass.

My FSA seatmast topper keeps slipping and changing angles even when I torque the nuts off of it.

Add that to their list of already heavily discussed widespread catastrophic crank failures and aero bar failures and it makes you wonder how they're still in business. :crap:

I am back to my trusty albeit heavier 2 bolt Ritchey seat post plus I changed back to an aluminum handlebar from the lighter CF. Though it wasn't the carbon that failed I feel more at ease with these components.

Fixed
05-02-2011, 11:32 AM
are their headsets bad too?
cheers

rice rocket
05-02-2011, 11:56 AM
It's pretty hard to mess up a headset nowadays, bearings are just sealed bearings that they buy in bulk from a number of bearing manufacturers and all they really make are the bearing cups that don't really take much load.

That said, if you have one of the older headsets with loose balls (or balls in a cage), my friend had an FSA headset that wore grooves and divots into the bearing race in under a season, presumably because they didn't spec the right alloy. :crap:

Oh, how could I forget the ISIS bottom bracket failures too?

http://www.cyclingforums.com/image/id/359992/width/525/height/525/flags/LL

Mark McM
05-02-2011, 12:58 PM
I watched a video posted here a couple of weeks ago about a pro cyclist riding without a saddle for a few miles. I thought to myself " that would never happen to me".

http://sonic.net/~ckelly/Seekay/jacquiecover.JPG
"Jacquie Phelan had won every off-road race she entered, starting with her first NORBA event in 1983.

Here she leads Cindy Whitehead in the brutal 50-mile Plumline off-road race held near Bishop, California in 1986 in mountains that reached elevations of 11,000 feet.

Cindy was riding without a saddle on her bike, as her seatpost had broken in the first few miles. In one of the legendary exploits of mountain biking, she defeated the reigning champion over the long course, without ever being able to sit down."

http://sonic.net/~ckelly/Seekay/ftf_covers.htm