PDA

View Full Version : Pegoretti repaint

sjbraun
05-01-2011, 10:51 PM
Who has experience repainting Pegorettis?

My Marcelo is starting to look a bit more used than I'd like.

Thanks

fuzzalow
05-01-2011, 11:37 PM
Tom Kellogg and Jeff Duser at Spectrum Cycles (the Barn in PA).

oldpotatoe
05-02-2011, 07:38 AM
Who has experience repainting Pegorettis?

My Marcelo is starting to look a bit more used than I'd like.

Thanks

Spectrum in Colorado Springs can do any job you wish..they are VERY good.

http://www.spectrumpowderworks.com

AngryScientist
05-02-2011, 07:41 AM
painting a peg is not unlike painting any bicycle, are you asking about getting the original paint scheme refinished or a repaint to a new color or scheme?

Birddog
05-02-2011, 08:02 AM
Just my opiniuon, but I wouldn't powdercoat a Peg. That just seems like some sort of sacrilege. In fact, I'd be reluctant to ever powdercoat a frame again, although apparently Spectrum might be an exception in that they consistently receive high marks for their work.

LegendRider
05-02-2011, 08:05 AM
I had a Fina Estampa repainted by Airglow (http://www.airglowpainting.com/). They did a really good job in matching the decals. However, I sold the frame shortly after getting it repainted and the buyer indicated there was some "orange peel" texture in the paint.

roguedog
05-02-2011, 08:38 AM
i think i remember a few members repainting their pegs @ joe bell's and that he has a few of the patterns from dario.

fuzzalow
05-02-2011, 09:23 AM
Any of the good painters would not even attempt to repaint any of the more intricate Dario paintjobs without going through Gita if they are in the USA. Without the correct stencils to reproduce the design, it won't work. It will not be cheap to do either as there is much involved, multiple colors.

So JB, TK and others will procure the stencil. For anyone else, make sure they do too. The production-based Dario schemes are doable, the Basquiat-type stuff is not.

Spin71
05-02-2011, 09:32 AM
Any of the good painters would not even attempt to repaint any of the more intricate Dario paintjobs without going through Gita if they are in the USA. Without the correct stencils to reproduce the design, it won't work. It will not be cheap to do either as there is much involved, multiple colors.

So JB, TK and others will procure the stencil. For anyone else, make sure they do too. The production-based Dario schemes are doable, the Basquiat-type stuff is not.

I doubt the op is trying to recreate the same pegoretti paint scheme. Probable just wants a single color or panel job.

I wouldn't repaint my pegoretti unless it was a total mess.

nahtnoj
05-02-2011, 09:49 AM
Spectrum (Tom Kellogg/Jeff Duser) are authorized by Gita to repair and repaint Pegs and thus have access to any decal set/scheme you want.

Spectrum Powder Works has been doing some custom work for Above Category for a few Pegs. To my eye, the results are mixed but improving as of late.

cody.wms
05-03-2011, 04:26 PM
From Nelson at Gita, the official Peg importer in the US:

"We usually discourage trying to ship a frame to Italy for a repaint or a repair. Italian customs makes it pretty difficult. To avoid tariffs you have to do a "temporary importation" that requires quite a bit of paperwork and always seems to go wrong. Shipping can make it rather prohibitive as well. I'm familiar with nearly all of the painters on David's list and will say that as long as you use a reputable painter such as these, Dario is fine with sending us decals and/or stencils for the painter to use. Of course, no one can replicate some of Dario's hand-painted frames, but stock ones are usually not a problem.

Nelson Frazier
Gita Sporting Goods, Ltd."

Here is "David's list" mentioned above- http://bohemianbicycles.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/painter-information1.pdf

Sourced from a thread across the hall (http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f2/pegoretti-repaint-11015.html)

Pete Serotta
05-03-2011, 04:39 PM
East Coast Tom and Jeff have been doing it for decades and actually did many Italian frames for Gita at one time. On West Coast Joe Bell, sho has also been doing it for many decades. Both are top tier choices for me. :) PETE