PDA

View Full Version : DT 240S rear hub problem...

kramnnim
05-01-2011, 06:39 PM
I recently acquired an old Rolf Vector Pro wheelset and have a bit of a problem. The Campy lockring protrudes out past the knurled face of the end cap that contacts the inside of the dropout. It seems like the freehub body should shift further left toward the center of the bike to provide more clearance...

It looks like the end caps on these hubs are Campy and Shimano specific...do I somehow have the wrong end cap? The problem, though, is that the "locknut to locknut" width is the correct 130mm...so it's not like a thicker/longer end cap would help.

Oh, and I'm assuming the hub is based around a DT 240S, as everything online says so, and the internals seem to match up with the star tooth (?) mechanism.

I tried the two Campy cassettes I own...one Record 10 and one Chorus 11. Same results with both...

bicycletricycle
05-01-2011, 06:53 PM
is the lock ring bottoming out on the cogs or on the freehub? (when the lock ring is tightened up are the cogs rattling or not)

kramnnim
05-01-2011, 06:59 PM
Nope, lockring and cassette seem to be working perfectly.

bicycletricycle
05-01-2011, 07:04 PM
got me

ergott
05-01-2011, 07:07 PM
If I have this correct, there is a different endcap on both sides to complete the swap. Sounds like you have both Shimano caps on.

bicycletricycle
05-01-2011, 07:12 PM
check the wheel dish, if the end caps are both shimano the dish will be off.

kramnnim
05-01-2011, 09:11 PM
Hmm, all the freehub conversion "kits" I see only have the drive side end cap...seems like the other is attached to the axle...?

oldpotatoe
05-02-2011, 07:43 AM
If I have this correct, there is a different endcap on both sides to complete the swap. Sounds like you have both Shimano caps on.

Actually only one end cap that comes with a shimano or Campagnolo freehub body on 240 DT hubs when you switch them, but THIS hub may be spec'ed specific to the wheel maker.

kramnnim
05-02-2011, 10:19 PM
Hmm, it seems like the problem might be with the freehub body ("rotor")...the part that goes into the hub shell is noticeably longer than the ones shown in various pictures online.

Bob Loblaw
05-02-2011, 10:41 PM
This is something you probably have ruled out already, but I've had this problem so I'm throwing it out there.

Sometimes a spacer will stick to the back of the cassette and cause a problem like this.

BL

kramnnim
05-03-2011, 07:29 PM
Figured it out... The previous owner installed the "ring nut" backwards, and used two spacers instead of one. This resulted in the ring nut sticking out too far to the right...which in turn pushed the freehub body to the right.

The end cap must be a Shimano one...there's quite a bit of side to side play in the freehub body. I ground some pedal washers to fit on the 15mm axle to fill the space.

Side note- the ring nut can be removed without the special tool if you remove one of the star ratchets and put it back together...slide a loose sprocket onto the FH body, use a chain whip to unscrew the ring nut. (The remaining star ratchet engages the splines on both the ring nut and the FH body.)