PDA

View Full Version : BOB Yak Trailer

jblande
05-01-2011, 02:27 AM
Are any of you using this? I would like a trailer compatible with both 26" and 28" wheels that will suffice for shopping trips and for weekend outings with my wife. This item has exclusively positive reviews on the internet, and I would be curious to hear more impressions from the experts on the forum. Thank you.

skijoring
05-01-2011, 06:27 AM
I've used one a bit for both touring and around town shopping. In my opinion, it is better suited for hauling stuff around town where the speeds and consequences are a bit lower. On the few short tours I did with the bob trailer it tends to wag the bike, so to speak, even on an older overbuilt MTB. Carrying liquids is a strange feeling, with the slosh moving the bike around in a circular pattern.

Buy an extra rear skewer for the ease of trying it on different bikes...as I remember the skewers are poorly designed, and I broke one but it was promptly replaced by the LBS or BOB.

cp43
05-01-2011, 01:26 PM
I have an Ibex that I've used for a couple of shopping trips and a tour on the C&O canal. On the flats you barely notice it. I haven't used it on any big hills (the canal is flat) so I can't comment on the stability on descents. You do really notice the weight on the climbs though.

I haven't had any issues with the skewer, but I haven't really stressed it too much.

There is an option for the 28" version, the only difference is the length of the arms, I'd go for this is you plan on using it with a 700c bike with fenders. Also, the plus version comes with a big waterproof bag. I'd recommend this too, it's a pretty nice bag.

Chris

rugbysecondrow
05-01-2011, 01:45 PM
This isn't exactly what you asked about, but I would look at a cheap child carrier like a Burley or Instep. You can get them for under 100, enclosed cabin so grocery etc can be protected and offer more weather protection and they can take a beating. They some have a handle and can be pushed like a stroller, so easier to maneuver. I also like how the child carriers have a hitch which makes attached and detaching easy, no moving the skewer.

For local out and about town stuff, this is the route I would go.

Cheers,

Paul

itspeedmoore
05-01-2011, 02:33 PM
I had one when I lived in Seattle. I used it for shopping and it worked great, much better than panniers as I could carry heavy loads. That said, it quicky overwhelmed the brakes on my bike when I loaded it with 4 bags of groceries. Overall, a cool trailer that adds lots of options.

xjoex
05-01-2011, 03:31 PM
I have a burley nomad for those same purposes. I have no complaints.

-Joe