PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know about pre-1985 Serottas?

go_fan
06-10-2005, 03:11 PM
Hello,

I have an older Serotta and I just spent some time talking with one of the people at Serotta and he suggested I ask around here for anyone that might have additional information.

It is apparently a pre-1985 Serotta with "Cinelli Made in France" stamped on the BB. There is no serial number that I can identify, though there are seemingly random numbers on some of the lugs. It is Columbus SLX tubing.

I am seeking advice - I would like to sell this, but I have no idea what is reasonable to ask for it. Right now it is a complete bike with all Campy components (Chorus I believe) with downtube shifters (7-speed). It is in good condition, but not great - it has a few nicks and scratches on the paint job and the stickers are peeling/cracking.

If I try to sell this on eBay, what would be a reasonable price to set? What could I say about this bike to maximize it's appeal? Is it more appealing as a complete bike, or just the frame?

I appreciate any help that people can provide. It seems information about older bikes is hard to come by.

Thanks again,
David

go_fan
06-13-2005, 01:24 PM
So, if no one knows about these frames, maybe someone could suggest another place to ask for information?

Thanks.

christian
06-13-2005, 01:44 PM
What's to say? It's a nicely built bike with Cinelli lugs and Columbus tubing, with out of date components, and seemingly in decent but not great shape. The frame might have collector value to someone who really likes early Serottas. The components won't.

You should highlight in the auction that is has Columbus SLX and is a Serotta. Make sure to take GOOD, detailed pictures of it, including the components and any blemishes. And make sure you measure and include all pertinent measurements - ST, TT, HT length, ST angle, HT angle, CS length, and setback.

From your description, I guess you might get $450-600 for the complete bike, and $300 for the frame. Actually, that might be a bit generous. But the easiest way to determine what the market will bear for a given bike is usually to just sell it. An Ebay auction with no reserve will tell that in a hurry.

The CR list might be a possible resource, but this is just on the hump of On-Topic for them, and they don't usually take well to first posts of "What's my bike worth?" so I hesitate to recommend that.

Cheers,
- Christian

dave thompson
06-13-2005, 01:46 PM
David:

Your question awfully broad and could probably be better answered if you included a picture. Serotta has been making bikes since '72 so that covers a lot of ground until 1985. What it sounds like you have is a good but old bike with good but old equipment on it. If you put it on EBay, the market will tell you what it's worth. You might to some research into the various pieces of the componentry on the bike and if it's older Campy they might have their own value. If it were my bike, and I were in your position I would find out everything I could about every piece on the bike. If the individual pieces had a sum value greater than the whole bike, I would disassemble it and offer everything individually.

While the earlier Serottas were very fine bikes, there doesn't appear to be too much of a 'collectors' market for them, unless the bike has some historical significance such as being a 7/11 bike or belonging to a famous rider.

go_fan
06-14-2005, 01:13 PM
great. thanks for your suggestions. that is the kind of advice i was looking for.

thanks again,
david

Serotta PETE
06-14-2005, 01:22 PM
Christian is right about posting pictures and sizing on whatever site you sell on. It is a very narrow market and if you can get the amount he suggested - take it and smile. (Used steel bikes that are over 20 years old, have very limited appeal, unless there is some history around them.

It would have to be a collector who is interested in that specific bike and anything from 200 to 500 is in the range of price.

Good luck ;;;PETE