PDA

View Full Version : Other Forks Comparable to an F3/S3?

NRRider
04-30-2011, 11:00 AM
I posted a WTB for an F3 or S3 in the classifieds, but in the meantime I need to think about alternatives. The F3 is too expensive to buy new, though a new S3 is a possibility.

Question is, are there other carbon forks of equal (or close) quality that won't break the bank? I have hte impression that the Serotta forks are pretty stout/well built. Not looking for something uber light, as I'm somewhat of a clyde.

Thanks

bicycletricycle
04-30-2011, 11:11 AM
reynolds ouzo pro's are real nice, wound up's are great as well. Wound ups are nice for bigger dudes i think, steerer tube are aluminum on the inside and extra stiff.

NRRider
04-30-2011, 11:36 AM
reynolds ouzo pro's are real nice, wound up's are great as well. Wound ups are nice for bigger dudes i think, steerer tube are aluminum on the inside and extra stiff.
I always liked those Wound Up forks. Checked their website though and it looks like they don't have 43mm rake. They have 45, but I'd really like to stick with the spec.
I have an Ouzo Pro on my IF. Like it, but want something a little more stout.

happycampyer
04-30-2011, 11:45 AM
The S3 and F3 are really fantastic forks, and one great feature is that you can get them in various stiffnesses.

Right now Enve is selling their old stock Edge-logo'ed 2.0 forks for $250. Pretty hard to beat, and they still have some in 43mm rake. I don't find that it's much stiffer than the Ouzo Pro, though.

http://www.envecomposites.com/forks/2.0/darkdeals.aspx

Ahneida Ride
04-30-2011, 12:03 PM
I think the S3 and F3 are identical except for the Al. vs. Ti dropouts.

So the S3 is the better bargain. If you need to save frns, go with the S3.

NRRider
04-30-2011, 01:15 PM
I think the S3 and F3 are identical except for the Al. vs. Ti dropouts.

So the S3 is the better bargain. If you need to save frns, go with the S3.
I heard the same thing re the dropouts. Just trying to see if there's something similar and less than 500 frns.

oldpotatoe
05-01-2011, 07:06 AM
I posted a WTB for an F3 or S3 in the classifieds, but in the meantime I need to think about alternatives. The F3 is too expensive to buy new, though a new S3 is a possibility.

Question is, are there other carbon forks of equal (or close) quality that won't break the bank? I have hte impression that the Serotta forks are pretty stout/well built. Not looking for something uber light, as I'm somewhat of a clyde.

Thanks

'Quality'?

Enve, Ritchey are both quality forks, made well, will not fail JRA......

jpw
05-01-2011, 07:22 AM

I would agree with this assessment. The WU forks are very stiff indeed. I'm running a CX version, with the fat tire at lower pressure to compensate for the harshness. I'm 160lbs but for a heavier rider I can imagine they would work very well. I will be going for a different fork when this one fades, probably a Serotta 6 or 8 stiffness series.

Out of curiosity, how long should one keep using a WU CX fork before considering a change, on safety grounds? How long are they good for?

oldpotatoe
05-01-2011, 07:35 AM
I would agree with this assessment. The WU forks are very stiff indeed. I'm running a CX version, with the fat tire at lower pressure to compensate for the harshness. I'm 160lbs but for a heavier rider I can imagine they would work very well. I will be going for a different fork when this one fades, probably a Serotta 6 or 8 stiffness series.

Out of curiosity, how long should one keep using a WU CX fork before considering a change, on safety grounds? How long are they good for?

Carbon forks don't wear out, even cross forks. Unless a big frontal impact, I would think a WU carbon fork would last for decades .

NRRider
05-02-2011, 09:55 AM
After reading the above and the reviews online I went ahead and ordered the Edge 2.0 for $250. Called Enve and they said the only diff between these "Dark" forks and the current model going for twice as much is the graphics due to some trademark type of issue.

Looking forward to riding this thing! Thanks for your help.

benb
05-02-2011, 10:48 AM
I think you'll be really happy and what a deal! I have one bike with an F3 and one with an Edge fork and the Edge fork is every bit as good if not better. (Hard to say as it's two different frames too obviously.)

You lose the cool Ti dropouts but you probably also lose some weight with the Edge CF dropouts.

BdaGhisallo
05-02-2011, 10:54 AM
How is the Edge 1.0 in comparison to the 2.0 for a 165 lb rider. I want a 45mm rake and they only have it in the 1.0 at that price.