PDA

View Full Version : What chamois cream did you switch to after Assos changed?

Louis
04-30-2011, 12:04 AM
OK, I'm about to finish my second of two tubes of Chamois Butt'r, purchased after the much criticized Assos formulation change, and I need to decide what to get next.

What did you finally settle on to replace the Assos? The new blue goo? DZ's, Chamois Butt'r Euro?

Recommendations please.

TIA
Louis

akelman
04-30-2011, 12:43 AM
dznutz. I hated it the first time I tried it, but now I kind of dig the tea tree tingle on my taint. Too much information? Tough, you asked. That said, I don't use it except when I ride 40 or more miles.

melonyogloo
04-30-2011, 01:27 AM
I tried Button Hole Chamois Cream and love it.

alexstar
04-30-2011, 02:01 AM
I just used Mad Alchemy Pro Plus for the first time yesterday, and I'm a believer.

BdaGhisallo
04-30-2011, 04:56 AM
I actually changed from CH Butter to Assos, because they changed the formulaton! I love the new Assos cream.

BdaGhisallo
04-30-2011, 05:03 AM
I actually changed from CH Butter to Assos, because they changed the formulaton! I love the new Assos cream.

jr59
04-30-2011, 05:12 AM
I tried Button Hole Chamois Cream and love it.

+1 It's good stuff

crownjewelwl
04-30-2011, 05:13 AM
dz...the tingle lets u know its there

biker72
04-30-2011, 05:19 AM
Bag Balm
Cheap and effective.

rickbb
04-30-2011, 05:27 AM
Still use the Assos.
Only for longer rides, though.

Geeeewiz
04-30-2011, 05:31 AM
Chamois Butt'r Euro!

godfrey1112000
04-30-2011, 06:46 AM
Bag Balm
Cheap and effective.

A little Dab will do you

R2D2
04-30-2011, 06:55 AM
For shorter ride I use But'r Euro.
For long Brevets I use the Lantiseptic.
Lantispetic was developed for bed sores but has been embraced by many Rando riders. Very thick. Stays put and deosn't melt away.
It has saved my a$$ many times.

Cinci Jim
04-30-2011, 07:32 AM
Chamois Butt'r Euro!

The wife uses the euro-style. It has actually evolved into ritual verbal exchange in our pre-ride preparations. Euro-style must be said with a certain, dramatic flare.

All this being said - for anything epic, she reaches for the blue goo.

I have thought of trying the DZ or the Mad Alchemy, I just have never picked any up - she uses what I buy.

oldpotatoe
04-30-2011, 07:38 AM
OK, I'm about to finish my second of two tubes of Chamois Butt'r, purchased after the much criticized Assos formulation change, and I need to decide what to get next.

What did you finally settle on to replace the Assos? The new blue goo? DZ's, Chamois Butt'r Euro?

Recommendations please.

TIA
Louis

Assos..I sell Assos 10 to 1 over any other brand(Cham.Buttr, Nu Butt, others that I have stopped carrying). I also sell Dr Naylor..like BagBalm but less lanolin(less greasy) and oil of clove..smells better. For your butt, not chamois. Medicated, heals, great for my torn up hands.

1centaur
04-30-2011, 08:52 AM
I switched to Euro Style. Lately been using Ballocks Cream and found it long lasting and good.

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/product/item/CHMKEPFE

Ryun
04-30-2011, 08:54 AM
+1 for chomper body ballocks.

i also like their embrocation

She is good people too, sent my buddy a care package of goodies when she heard he was deploying.

LouDeeter
04-30-2011, 08:55 AM
I agree, bag balm, but not on the chamois.

Gummee
04-30-2011, 10:12 AM
Over on RBR there's a DIY recepie floating around. I've copied it a few times (and have most of the ingredients) but since I haven't needed it, I haven't bothered to make any.

Eucerin
Tea Tree Oil
maybe some triple antibiotic ointment
mix till its blended

Like I said: I don't remember the exact ratios, but I'm sure if you search over on RBR you'll be able to find it. In General IIRC

M

biker.caliente
04-30-2011, 10:16 AM
Bag Balm. It works.

NRRider
04-30-2011, 10:42 AM
Bought a tub of this stuff a few years back. Use it only on longer rides. I think it was under $5 at WalMart. Works great. http://www.queenhelene.com/skincare_product_detail.php?id=26

chismog
04-30-2011, 10:49 AM
Strong enough for a man, but made for a woman! Wanted some cream but did not want *deez* nutz to be tingly. Wife needed some cream too, so we settled on the Bliss. Works really great for both of us. AFAIK it's about the same thing as DZ with no tingle.

The other thing I like is that it's available in sample sizes. We bought on eBay and got a deal for a tube and a bunch of samples. Let me tell you, those little sample packs have come in handy on longer rides. Don't think I'd want to pack this goo any other way.

C

firerescuefin
04-30-2011, 10:53 AM
Some think it's only good as an activator :no: , but it has changed my life and my chamois :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-aqJ0Qggkg

Louis
04-30-2011, 01:21 PM
So I conclude that there's zero consensus on this. :(

I would have stayed with the Assos but unlike the "original" that could be applied to the chamois, the new one is designed to be applied directly to the skin. IMO this is a hassle and potentially disgusting for those nearby when changing into your shorts in your car.

I guess I'll stick to Chamois Butt'r, and for kicks try the Euro version (which I assume is an Assos knock-off), if only because I believe it's made right here in Missouri.

KeithS
04-30-2011, 02:24 PM
LBS quit carrying Asssos in favor of DZ. Euro style or DZ, got em both, I think I have a Costco sized tub or Bag Balm (or udder cream) and use that as emergency backup. A friend of mine always refers to DZ as "best part of the ride" apparently he likes the "tingle". Not wild about the Assos price point or reformulation. Not that DZ is a bargain either.

bumknees
04-30-2011, 03:01 PM
I usually don't "need" chamois cream, but when my kid was still an infant, I tried some of his diaper rash stuff (A & D ointment), and that seemed to work pretty well.

FlashUNC
04-30-2011, 03:05 PM
I'm sure this will cause all sorts of outrage, but got a free sample of Rapha's chamois cream. Really like it.

Louis
04-30-2011, 03:16 PM
I'm sure this will cause all sorts of outrage, but got a free sample of Rapha's chamois cream. Really like it.

Liking it is indeed pretty bad, and marks you as a potentially bad person in my book.

But at least you didn't buy any. At $224 / 50g tin (or whatever it is they charge) that would definitely make you an evil person.

BTW, I didn't even know that Rapha offered that sort of stuff, but I'm sure they have a fancy-sounding name for it. ;)

Birddog
04-30-2011, 03:52 PM
I tried Assos replacement, DZ, and then Euro Style, none are as good as original formula Assos. maybe it's like your first love though. Anyway, I'm liking the Euro Style so far, and it's a decent bargain. You can slather it on with reckless abandon and not feel ripped off. BTW, I always apply the stuff to me, not the chamois. Those instructions on Assos to liberally apply it to the chamois were designed to sell more product IMO. I share the stuff too from time to time, just no double dipping allowed.

cody.wms
04-30-2011, 07:36 PM
Liking it is indeed pretty bad, and marks you as a potentially bad person in my book.

But at least you didn't buy any. At $224 / 50g tin (or whatever it is they charge) that would definitely make you an evil person.

BTW, I didn't even know that Rapha offered that sort of stuff, but I'm sure they have a fancy-sounding name for it. ;)

It's $20, and I really have fallen in love with it. Like FlashUNC, I got a sample. I went ahead and bought a tin of it from a local shop. Remember how awful the old Assos stuff smelled? It's the exact opposite of that.

FlashUNC
04-30-2011, 08:26 PM
It's $20, and I really have fallen in love with it. Like FlashUNC, I got a sample. I went ahead and bought a tin of it from a local shop. Remember how awful the old Assos stuff smelled? It's the exact opposite of that.

It makes my tender parts smell like a pine forest on a dewy morning.

I'm thinking that should totally go into their marketing copy.

or277
05-01-2011, 06:42 AM
+1 for bag balm

Lionel
05-01-2011, 07:02 AM
i still use Assos even after they changed to formula. Tried a couple of others I can't remember but came back to Assos. If it works don't change it. :)

William
05-01-2011, 07:08 AM
http://www.onlinecouponsavings.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Crisco-shortening.jpg

I can get a three pound bucket for the price of some of these others "creams".

;)

William

dekindy
05-01-2011, 07:21 AM
I have used Bag Balm, Vaseline, Chamois Butr, new Assos, Quoleum, and Aquaphor. They all worked well.

Don't put too much Bag Balm or Vaseline because it will soak through the chamois and make the bottom of your bibs so slick that when you sit down at a rest stop you will slide off on the ground and almost hit your head against a steel post! :crap:

I have seen mixed reviews of DZ Nuts. However a couple that I ride with ride thousands of miles a year and really like it.

1centaur
05-01-2011, 09:23 AM
I did not think DZ Nuts was viscous enough. The trick with chamois cream is to be slippery without soaking in over hours - old Assos had that nailed. DZ Nuts was thin and lost lubricity too quickly, IMO. Euro Style can be a little pasty but has 93% of Assos's qualities in the first couple of hours. The Ballocks stuff is very thick/stiff in the jar but with a little body warmth it has excellent lubricity and then performs its function unobtrusively for as long as any of my rides have taken this year.

SpeedyChix
05-01-2011, 12:51 PM
Went to Chamois Butr and have since moved on to ÖĂ Smooth Ride (their leg salsa is great stuff too). http://unconmed.com/products.htm
Like the stuff, similar consistency to Assos and works the same.

rpm
05-01-2011, 05:17 PM
Went on a long tough century today with no chafing problems. I used a layer of Lantiseptic and then a layer of Chamois. The Lantiseptic is beeswax and lanolin that sets up a barrier. The Rapha acts as a lubricant to reduce friction.

Both are very aromatic. The Lantiseptic smells terrible and I use it only on long rides. The Rapha's "herbs from Mt. Ventoux" nicely cover the smell of the Lantiseptic.

rnhood
05-01-2011, 05:30 PM
I'm using nubutte (http://www.inyangi.com/) chamois butter and it works pretty well. I've tried a few and the thinner (less viscous) ones just don't hold up. Nubutte is good for the long haul.

rePhil
05-01-2011, 05:38 PM
Noxema works for me. It washes out easily too.

GuyGadois
05-01-2011, 08:04 PM
For shorter ride I use But'r Euro.
For long Brevets I use the Lantiseptic.
Lantispetic was developed for bed sores but has been embraced by many Rando riders. Very thick. Stays put and deosn't melt away.
It has saved my a$$ many times.

Same here. The Lantiseptic is really gooey when you put it on. Really gooey. But, this stuff is the real deal. Pure lanolin. I only use it for the long rides. For the shorter rides I go with butt'r

Gadois

russ46
05-02-2011, 11:46 AM
+ 1 for Chomper Body Ballocks.

Haven't tried any others but only because what I'm using works well.