PDA

View Full Version : How to improve lung capacity

TomP
04-29-2011, 08:33 PM
Hi all,

I'm a 55 yo male. I've had a history os testicular cancer. Treatment was with Bleomycin which scarred my lungs. I also had a recurrence of a tumor to my right lung and half of it was removed. This has been twenty years ago and I'm healthy now.

My lung function test is low with a spirometer reading indicating about 68% of expected for age.

I may start taking some asthma medications to help.

What do you think might be best to improve lung capacity? As I think through it I can see merits to both base and threshold intervals, but threshold work seems like it might be beter. I already have a good base.

Thanks,

Tom

1happygirl
04-29-2011, 09:12 PM
http://www.amazon.com/PowerLung-PLS-Sport/dp/B00063Q910/ref=pd_sbs_hpc_1

Bob Loblaw
04-29-2011, 10:22 PM
http://www.amazon.com/PowerLung-PLS-Sport/dp/B00063Q910/ref=pd_sbs_hpc_1

That might be a good idea. I've heard of swimmers having good results with these, and aerobic exercise is aerobic exercise.

I'd also recommend VO2 max intervals. They are hard, but a great way to improve oxygen usage, from what I've read and experienced in my own training.

BL

HenryA
04-30-2011, 10:12 AM
I don't think you can improve lung capacity. I do think you can very slightly increase your whole body's capability to use oxygen. Being as fit as you can be will help and then you are on the right track by doing some threshold work. The improvement will be small but you will notice it. I'd do this on the bike rather than by some other machine if you have the time to ride.

Half a dozen short intervals at 95% max HR might become a once or twice weekly feature of your riding. Do them on the same route and compare how you perform over time.

Good luck with it and stay healthy!

Larry
04-30-2011, 09:14 PM
I don't think you can improve lung capacity. I do think you can very slightly increase your whole body's capability to use oxygen. Being as fit as you can be will help and then you are on the right track by doing some threshold work. The improvement will be small but you will notice it. I'd do this on the bike rather than by some other machine if you have the time to ride.

Half a dozen short intervals at 95% max HR might become a once or twice weekly feature of your riding. Do them on the same route and compare how you perform over time.

Good luck with it and stay healthy!

Agree.... and highly recommend this. Right on.

azrider
04-30-2011, 10:09 PM
Please do not purchase that Power Lung Sport contraption. All of us are looking for that extra edge, and when a buddy/local Pro found this he was all over it. He said that the exercises were so difficult that he would see stars and almost faint from doing just a handful of breaths on the thing. He forged ahead thinking it would lead to some good but he said that during the three weeks he tried it he had the worst performance he'd ever had on the bike and felt like $hit. He even took a few days off, stopped doing the "Lung Sport" exercises, and even after he got some rest his performance was still lacking.

Total gimmick atmo

Gummee
05-01-2011, 12:44 PM
Come play underwater hockey with me. Yes, I said underwater hockey.

Makes cycling easy cause there's ALWAYS air!

M

Gummee
05-02-2011, 08:33 AM
Played UW Hockey again last nite at GMU. The A guys come out on Sundays and kick my 'I stink at UW Hockey' butt. Makes it frustrating and a learning experience all in one.

Even better, it helps with your core! All the twisting and turning underwater = strong abs and back. I have most of a 6-pack. Haven't had one of those... ever!

M

rwsaunders
05-02-2011, 08:38 AM
PM me and I'll try to put you in touch with a pulmonologist that I know.

Kane
05-02-2011, 02:35 PM
good posture. If you exercise in a neutral spine and get rid of your slump, you will be able to increase the volume of air in your lungs.
Cheers,

Kane