PDA

View Full Version : OT: Who is going down in the EPL?

BobC
04-29-2011, 06:55 AM
I love this time of season as I follow soccer in England, especially the relegation battles as the clubs at the bottom scramble NOT to be in the last 3 places and thus are relegated to the next lower division (Much more fun than who is the league winner - so boring).

So, who is it going to be: West Ham, Blackpool, Wolves, Wigan? Perhaps the easier question is who is going to escape?

My money is on Wolves as they have the easiest remaining 4 matches.

rwsaunders
05-01-2011, 09:37 PM
I always feel bad for the relegated clubs, as the big boys (Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea) have the money to pay for the name brand players. What else is new in sports, right?

That said, I'll watch any EPL match over an MLS match any day. The play is just at another level of terms of speed, skills and agility. The fan intensity doesn't hurt either.

BobC
05-01-2011, 10:07 PM
If you haven't watched the Spurs-Gunners North London Derby, do! Best EPL match I have ever watched (and I had taped it & knew the score -- it was still amazing).

After this weekend, I think West Ham is a done deal & Blackburn is safe. The rest will be fighting to the bitter end.

benner
05-02-2011, 01:20 AM
I always feel bad for the relegated clubs, as the big boys (Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea) have the money to pay for the name brand players. What else is new in sports, right?

That said, I'll watch any EPL match over an MLS match any day. The play is just at another level of terms of speed, skills and agility. The fan intensity doesn't hurt either.

Another MLS/EPL difference is the official. It's painful to watch MLS sometimes for this reason alone.

btw - GREAT result you GOONERS!!!!! Anyone but United, please!

Idris Icabod
05-02-2011, 10:54 AM

Money does not always equal success. Man Utd. have an excellent youth system (West Ham also but seems to sell their talent). As a Hull City fan (born in Hull which explains the strange allegience) I wanted to mention Leeds United, a traditionally huge club that bought expensive players but were relegated and fell all the way down to the third tier. Still makes me smile to think about it.

goonster
05-02-2011, 11:11 AM
Hull City fan
Every soccer fan knows that the team chooses you, not the other way around.

Leeds United, a traditionally huge club that bought expensive players but were relegated and fell all the way down to the third tier.
Ridsdale-era Leeds are an excellent example. That would be like the St. Louis Cardinals dropping down to AA. (I still have the CL-semifinal against Valencia on tape somewhere, and never thought that would be team's high water mark.)

Abramovich still doesn't have his European title. Real Madrid have arguably underachieved in the Galactico era. Man City still have not won anything.

I can really only think of one example where a title was successfully "bought", and that is Freddy Sheperd's Blackburn in '95.

Fixed
05-02-2011, 11:30 AM
e.l.p. = emerson ,lake and palmer ?
cheers

goonster
05-02-2011, 11:38 AM
EPL = English Premier League

Fixed
05-02-2011, 11:57 AM
sorry i am still dazed
cheers right country though

Idris Icabod
05-02-2011, 12:16 PM
I can really only think of one example where a title was successfully "bought", and that is Freddy Sheperd's Blackburn in '95.

Freddy Sheperd was the odious twerp in charge of Newcastle after Sir John Hall stepped down. I think it was Jack Walker at Blackburn.

I just noticed your name. You probably hate Hull City!

goonster
05-02-2011, 12:56 PM
I think it was Jack Walker at Blackburn.

Yes, of course. That's who I meant.

I just noticed your name. You probably hate Hull City!
My username, and my actual name, have nothing to do with Arsenal.

I support Liverpool* in the EPL, but was born and raised in Vienna, and the team-that-chose-me is FK Austria Wien. Mitropa Cup Champions 1933 & 1936, w00t!

And while we're clearing this stuff up, my sig refers to a comment made by an unknown player about Ferenc Puskas in the English dressing room prior to this game (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/England_v_Hungary_(1953)).

(*= Why? Michael Owen 1998, that's why!)

Idris Icabod
05-02-2011, 02:01 PM
FK Austria Wien. Mitropa Cup Champions 1933 & 1936, w00t!

Your team is more successful than Hull! Geography is a b@stard!

Climb01742
05-02-2011, 02:17 PM
as an arsenal fan, i miss the magic of henry and bergkamp. this isn't an arsenal goal, but perhaps bergkamp's greatest, imo, and one of the greatest/looniest calls of all time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsZkCFoqSBs

BobC
05-02-2011, 06:53 PM
I was working in North London years ago on a business trip and the company had season tickets to Spurs & Gunners. I tried to go to see if either were available and the tickets were spoken (for the entire year!). The poor secretary in charge of the tickets told me she tickets to some other club in the First Division (one level below the top division). I figured it would be better soccer than I would ever see in the US (this was years ago), so I bought it for 10 pounds (~$15) and went to Vicarage Road to watch Watford FC play.

Been a Hornet supporter ever since.

Even better when a couple years later (US National Team Member) Jay DeMerit scored the goal that beat Leeds & got them promoted to the Premiership (OK, just for one season but hey it was worth it).

henry14
05-05-2011, 12:59 AM
Gunners fan here as you can see.

Been to Highbury and Emirates. Such a shame they couldn't win a match before the last United game. There could've been more drama to the title chase with 3 games to go. Alas, another trophyless season.

BobC
05-08-2011, 10:53 AM
2 games to go...

Well, Wolves seemed to a better spot now (as I thought they would) & Blackpool is in deep trouble.

OBTW --- What happened to Arsenal?? Beat United and lose to Stoke in a couple weeks????

Gotta watch the final match day. Should be fascinating.

BobC

BobC
05-20-2011, 08:35 AM
Last match, lots of suspense. All played at the same time.

Soccernet has a good article summing it all up:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story/_/id/921598?cc=5901