PDA

View Full Version : Help!!! Creaking in BB area...

SoCalSteve
06-10-2005, 01:30 AM
Hi all,

As you know, I rebuilt the Fondriest. It came out great, save one unpleasent sound...

When I stand to pedal or pedal really hard while sitting, there is a noise coming from the bb area. The noise is synchronized to when I pedal hard. It sounds much more like a squeak than the front der hitting the chain. I know it cannot be coming from the saddle, seatpost, etc because it happens when I am standing as well.

Ok, here is what I have tried so far: (to no avail) :crap:

1.)Teflon tape and locktite on D/A triple botom bracket

2.)Changing out cranksets- FSA carbon triple & D/A triple

3.)Adjusting front der.

I did not have this creaking noise when I had the Campy Chorus triple bb installed and Record triple cranks.

Help!!! The bike-frame is totally silent besides this one VERY LOUD squeak! And, when I am spinning and not mashing, it is totally silent.

Any and all suggestions, opinions, etc. openly welcomed...

As always, thank you all in advance,

Steve

PS: I am not sure if this matters, but the frame is monocoque carbon fiber.

Russ
06-10-2005, 02:40 AM
Steve,

I had a similar problem with a Stronglight Pulsion BB and Crankset... In my case, the noise was not loud, but enough to bother me.

Working with my LBS, we found out that the noise was a combination of two things: the BB and one of the pedal spindles (I had Time Impacts, and later Time RXS). To resolve the problem, I stwitched BB (I have a newer model by Stronglight) and I had time replace the pedals... So far everything is silent!

However, I am begining to realize that all the latest gizmos can be a problem... So, next time I hear some noise, I am going back to my Campy Record Carbon crankset and Phil Wood BB. I used this combination for a long time and never had one single problem!!!

Check your pedals and the BB... Good luck!

rePhil
06-10-2005, 08:32 AM
I had a mysterious noise that sounded so much like it was coming from the BB I removed, cleaned the threads , grease, taped, and oh so carefully put things back together only to hear the same noise.
As I was reflecting on my next options spinning my way home I found myself with a rear punture. The noise was gone after I replaced the wheel. When it came back a few weeks later I lubed the contact area where the skewer contacts the dropout. Its been quiet ever since.

David Kirk
06-10-2005, 09:10 AM
Try removing the water bottle cages and see if it goes away.....sounds crazy I know but it happens all the time.

I'll bet more BB's have been removed or replaced due to water bottle cage noises...........

Dave

SoCalSteve
06-10-2005, 10:59 AM
What 2 little dabs of grease will do (when they are put in the right place). Turns out it was the interface between the dropouts and the skewers. A couple dabs of grease and the noise went away completely.

On a side note, having DT hubs made finding and hearing the noise much easier as they are oh so quiet. I think having CK hubs would have made it oh that much harder to hear.

As always thank you all for your great knowledge, wisdom and experience.

Steve