PDA

View Full Version : compact crank gears

bironi
06-10-2005, 12:22 AM
Hello,

Can someone here give me advice on my compact shifting problem. I am using an FSA 50/34. When I drop rom my 50 to my 34, I lose the chain inside the 34. Is this typical? My buddy had the same problem, he works around it by not dumping the down shift. Do I need to change my 34 to a 36 to avoid the big jump, or is there another solution?

Thanks much

Too Tall
06-10-2005, 06:35 AM
Get an IRD CD front derailleur and install an anti-chain drop device OR adjust the fr. derailleur properly such that the tail is angled in more than the front. Often I will bend the fr. der. cage with my thumb to get the exact curve I'm looking for...don't let you friends see you doing this ;)

palincss
06-10-2005, 07:16 AM
Hello,

Can someone here give me advice on my compact shifting problem. I am using an FSA 50/34. When I drop rom my 50 to my 34, I lose the chain inside the 34. Is this typical? My buddy had the same problem, he works around it by not dumping the down shift. Do I need to change my 34 to a 36 to avoid the big jump, or is there another solution?

Thanks much

The N Gear Jump Stop will defintely prevent this sort of problem.

http://www.gvtc.com/~ngear/

Ken Robb
06-10-2005, 12:06 PM
my outstanding bike tech set up my FSA 50/34 in my DA 10spd drivetrain and it shifts perfectly so proper adjustment and function should be possible. I'll venture a guess that if one has a braze-on front derailer it might not be possible to get the adjustment perfect but that is just a layman's guess.

eddief
06-10-2005, 06:24 PM
but I run compacts either 50/34 or 48/34 on more than a few bikes with no derailment issues. So I'm with Ken on this one. Sounds more than likely it's about the wrencher.

PK9
06-10-2005, 09:30 PM
I've got an FSA 50-34 with a DA 7800 clamp-on and have had no problems.

Try putting the chain on you smallest gear (small ring x biggest sprocket) and tightening the low limit screw until the chain barely rubs the front cage when you're spinning the pedals. Then back the screw out about 1/8 turn and it should work.

Many people also use chain minders as a back up.

Good luck.

Too Tall
06-11-2005, 06:21 AM
PK9 is giving good advice. The long beards taught me to have a small amt of chain rub when the chain is on the largest r. sprocket and small fr. ring.

PBWrench
06-11-2005, 08:56 AM
Another solution is the compact specific Campy CT front der. (Record or Chorus). I run one with my FSA 50/34 and it shifts perfectly. The Campy der. cage design is substantially different than the standard.

Bon
06-12-2005, 09:20 PM
I had the compact specific Campy CT front der. (Record) put on after I ran into the same problem. I run one with my FSA 50/34 and it shifts perfectly now. The Campy der. cage design is built specifically for the compact FSA. You can read about it on the Campy website.

crashjames
06-13-2005, 09:41 AM
I had the compact specific Campy CT front der. (Record) put on after I ran into the same problem. I run one with my FSA 50/34 and it shifts perfectly now. The Campy der. cage design is built specifically for the compact FSA. You can read about it on the Campy website.

I stuck with the regular Chorus FD after the CT der looked like it might rip the braze on off my frame.

I also put a chain watcher on and it seems to be doing the trick.

NateM
06-13-2005, 10:51 AM
I have heard that the IRD front der works well with STI and Ergo but that the Campy ct der's dont work well with STI. This is according to an article by Zinn (testing done by Veccios in Boulder)on the Velonews site.Good info in article.