PDA

View Full Version : I go through my spares box and....

Joachim
04-28-2011, 01:12 PM
I go through my spares box and realize that I accumulated almost enough spare parts for a third bike. I really only want to limit myself to 2 bikes, but in the back of my mind I'm thinking what if I need the extra Chorus 11 rear der, the FD or the brand new carbon seatpost. Do I keep the 1 year old Tarmac Pro frame or sell it? etc etc etc

When do you decide to sell or to keep your spares? Or do you only keep spares that are consumables such as chainrings?

AngryScientist
04-28-2011, 01:24 PM
I go through my spares box and realize that I accumulated almost enough spare parts for a third bike. I really only want to limit myself to 2 bikes, but in the back of my mind I'm thinking what if I need the extra Chorus 11 rear der, the FD or the brand new carbon seatpost. Do I keep the 1 year old Tarmac Pro frame or sell it?

When do you decide to sell or to keep your spares? Or do you only keep spares that are consumables such as chainrings?

i'm a "what if" guy myself, and have all sorts of "spares" hanging around. if you've got the space, and you're still able to put food on the table, i dont think having a bunch of spare cycling gear is a bad thing. stuff breaks, and it's always better to have replacement parts on hand than waiting for the shop to open when you've got a ride in the morning, or waiting for tires to come in from the UK.

avalonracing
04-28-2011, 01:32 PM
Hoarding stuff isn't as much fun passing things along to people who need it and looking for new stuff when you need it. Let it go... It's good karma.

Of course sometimes things happen like this:
I had a bunch of vintage early 90's Deore XT MTB stuff (two sets of thumb-shifters, brakes, cranks, derailleurs etc), that I kept in my basement for almost 20 years. Last spring I let it all go for a song here on the forum at WELL below ebay prices. Then last fall I bought a super-cool neon pink and orange Serotta MTB on craigslist. All it needs is a bunch of early 90's XT stuff. :crap:

But as I said, it's good karma, as soon as I got rid of the group I found the bike. :D

Joachim
04-28-2011, 01:50 PM
Hoarding stuff isn't as much fun passing things along to people who need it and looking for new stuff when you need it. Let it go... It's good karma.

I like this. I might just try upping my karma...

echappist
04-28-2011, 02:09 PM
otoh, i had a spare rival RD. I ended up dropping my frame off of my bike stand and it landed on the RD. It was a good thing that i was able to replace it immediately.

You've got trouble when you have enough spares for two bikes.

Joachim
04-28-2011, 02:19 PM
You've got trouble when you have enough spares for two bikes.

Hmm, for 3 bikes. Actually I want to limit myself to 2 road bikes, currently have spares for 3rd. But that is going to change soon....

davidLee told me I had a problem :beer:

Frankwurst
04-28-2011, 06:58 PM
I don't know how many bikes,parts and pieces I've built,bought and sold in the past ten years. Right now I know I have enough parts to build at least two or three complete bikes. Nothing fancy but good quality just the same. So I decided to build a bike for Mrs. Wurst. She likes my bikes and rides an old beat up Trek mountain bike which suits her fine but I have all these nice parts and pieces that I need to sell or build something with and I figured what the hey, I'll build her something that will last her the rest of her life and give the Trek to my sister who has no clue about bicycles but wants one to cruise her neighbor hood. Hoarding can be good. :beer:

godfrey1112000
04-28-2011, 07:09 PM
I was walking through the garage about 2.5 years ago and looked at what was hanging around and on shelves and I thought wow, it is looking like a lbs back room,

started on ebay and was shocked what people would pay for "stuff" but the fees

then I thought what about cl and was shocked again on how I could meet at a McDonald and sell wheels, helmets, shoes, usually a 30 second meeting

then I discovered the "classified" section of the forum, more for buying instead of selling

When to sell, if it sits for a year or two it is time to sell, I realized that the stuff hanging around will either be given away or get broken down the road.

I am not referring to stock inventory, chains, tires or even a cassette or two
obtw I do have 3-- 9 speed dura cassettes I should post on the Classified, I do not have the 9 speed bike any more

Approximate total re-sale paid for the second bike and some left over for a bike trip or two

Sometimes I think we marry the stuff and never want to get the divorce

I go through my spares box and realize that I accumulated almost enough spare parts for a third bike. I really only want to limit myself to 2 bikes, but in the back of my mind I'm thinking what if I need the extra Chorus 11 rear der, the FD or the brand new carbon seatpost. Do I keep the 1 year old Tarmac Pro frame or sell it? etc etc etc