PDA

View Full Version : I'm torn...

smontanaro
04-28-2011, 10:20 AM
First, an introduction, as this is my first post. I rode a couple Ital Vegas, then a Masi Gran Criterium during college in the 70s, got rid of the Masi for some reason I can no longer recall, then after getting married in the early 80s I bought a Trek 760 which I rode happily for 25 years before one of the seat stays cracked. Called the LBS about fixing it, they said, "We don't have anyone, but Trek guaranteed the frame." Amazingly enough, I still had the original receipt (thank you, dear wifey), so I asked Trek about a replacement. They gave me $100 credit toward a new bike. I bought a 2006 Madone 5.2 from NOS on sale in 2008. It's a very nice bike, but, well, it's just not the same as my old steel bikes. It's got all the Discovery sponsor decals on it which always embarrass me a bit for some reason. I think modern bike designs leave a lot to be desired aesthetically as well.

Last year I decided I wanted a commuter bike and something to knock around town on. I bought a Schwinn Madison, added some Crank Brothers pedals, some old Galli levers I found on eBay, and eventually changed out the drop bars for risers. That worked well until a couple weeks ago when it was stolen from the train station where I'd left it, locked, while at work (a crappy weather day I didn't want to ride on).

So... I'm in the market for a new commuter and I am completely overwhelmed by all the choices. I must admit I have been glued to CL, eBay, the BOBishBikesFS list, and the Serotta forums classifieds. I've been spending way too much time on this. Here are the choices which are bedeviling me:

Buy another no-name Taiwanese-framed single-speed
Buy a used classic steel bike
Buy a used steel frame and build it
Buy a new or restored steel frame and build it

I know the no-name single speed will work, but there's certainly no distinction in that, and the quality of a $400 bike is going to always leave a bit to be desired.

Is it sacrilege to buy a somewhat knackered steel bike or frame (say, like the Rossin for sale on eBay right now) knowing that it's not likely to get restored? (Or worse, that I might actively be working it to its grave?) What about buying a NOS Basso Gap or something similar (there seem to be several Basso Gaps on eBay at the moment)? There is also a used Serotta Nova Special X frame on eBay which seems to be about my size. (I have always wanted a Serotta :) )

Any and all advice cheerfully accepted.

Skip Montanaro

firerescuefin
04-28-2011, 10:26 AM
Skip...the only sacrilege would be buying/building the bike....only to have it waste away in your garage, and that doesn't sound likely. My only advice would be to measure twice/cut once with regards to fit and compatibility of parts for something you build up. Fortunately, you are in the right place for knowledge about such things. Ask an obscure question and be prepared to have it answered accurately immediately.....probably from multiple forum members.

markie
04-28-2011, 10:53 AM
If you think your new bike has a possibility of getting stolen, I would be tempted to get a cheap complete commuter bike. That way it can be replaced without the emotional trauma.

Redline 9-2-5? Surly Steamroller?

Otherwise I love building up old road frames and beating on them till they die. What could be a better end for a frame than being ridden?

false_Aest
04-28-2011, 10:56 AM
You are over thinking.

It is a bike.

hi-mod, cockpit, module, lay-up schedule, color ways, octupal butted double swaged cold-set, heat treated nanotube vertically compliant blahblahblah

buh-blahblahblahblahblahblahblah. blah blah. blahblahblah! blahbblahblahblah.

it's not your wife, or bf, or gf, or child. treat it slightly better than a stranger in the elevator and slightly worse than the neighbor 4 doors down.

If there's a chance it will get stolen you've already invested too much mental energy.

If you are concerned about "distinction" then you're not paying enough attention to the cars around you. It's kind've like the gym. No one cares how big your penis is but everyone thinks that everyone else does.

PS. Welcome to the forum.

fiamme red
04-28-2011, 11:00 AM
My daily commuter is built around a Fuji Allegro f&f that I got for $60 on eBay.

There are a lot of classic Japanese bikes and frames on eBay all the time that are ideal for commuting on (Miyata, Centurion, Fuji, Univega, etc.), with clearance for wider tires and fenders.

Aaron O
04-28-2011, 11:02 AM
I think this boils down to what you want your bike to be. Are you going to go over gravel or non-paved roads? If yes, I'd want clearance for 28c + tires. Do you have to carry things? How many things? Rack braze ons are the issue here. Are you going to ride in rain? If so, you'll want fenders.

Personally if I were commuting and riding casually, and could only own one bike, I'd look for a complete 1980s touring bike. I'd upgrade to modern parts by my convenience preferences/needs. I think it's the most cost effective way to go about getting a quality bike...so long as you know what you;re looking at and how to address issues when/if they arise. You'll have to spend a LOT of money to get a new frame of equal quality to the 80s Japanese production tourers.

I think cyclocross bikes are another excellent option...perhaps go the steel route. I LOVE my Lemond Poprad, which is 853 steel and a lot of cool options with ample clearance. I alternate my daily commuter between the Poprad and a Koga Miyata Traveler with racks and fenders...depending on weather, my mood, and my carry needs. I also have a Raleigh International set up as a commuter, but use it infrequently.

smontanaro
04-28-2011, 12:28 PM
I know I'm over-thinking this, otherwise I probably wouldn't have written. :) Part of it is also the kid-in-the-candy-store effect. So many different kinds of candy and only a few nickels to spend. What to get?

As for risk of theft, the last bike of mine which was stolen was my first Ital Vega, probably in 1974(?). Theft risk at work is nonexistent. I get to park inside the building where the Pritzkers and Goldman Sachs people part their fancy cars. I chalk the recent theft up to bad luck and will take steps to mitigate that possibility in the future (different lock, more visible location perhaps, always walk to the damn train...).

I'll settle down and buy something. Thanks for the feedback.

S

AngryScientist
04-28-2011, 12:40 PM
I'll settle down and buy something.

S

Skip - no need to settle down, the daydreaming and anticipation of buying a new bike are sometimes the fun part. research, think, dream, scheme and and take all the time you need to purchase something you'll love.

you're amongst friends, we are, for the most part, over-thinkers:)

cmg
04-28-2011, 01:02 PM
buy a used steel frame and build the next commuter. If it gets stolen do it again. buying and building is where half the fun is.

uber
04-28-2011, 07:31 PM
I love the idea of a used steel frame. It might not fit a tight budget, but a used Moots cross frame would be a great commuter too.

Bob Loblaw
04-28-2011, 09:44 PM
+1 for finding a tired old steelie. There are plenty of them languishing out there waiting for a second life.

BL.

jr59
04-29-2011, 07:35 AM
I would look for a used Surly, Soma, or something along those lines.

Something with eyelets all over the place, just in case I wanted a rack or fenders. Something that you can run bigger tires on than 23's.

You can always strip it down to a seat bag and 23's if you like the sleek racer type of look. Or you can mount fenders, a rack, and bags if you want to make it a pack mule.

I picked a surly Cross Check to do his with. If I had o do i again, I'd pick a Pacer.

Good luck