PDA

View Full Version : OT: My G-g-g-generation!!

William
04-28-2011, 09:54 AM
If you are a fan of The Who, this one is a must see...

Amazing Journey: The Story of The Who

http://media.thewho.com/non_secure/images/content_images/amazing_journey_cover.jpg

"For more than 40 years, British rockers the Who have created music for countless fans, influenced artists and shaped the recording industry. Now, the history of the legendary band is captured in an epic documentary. Viewers witness the group's rise to worldwide stardom from its origins as a 1960s cover band. The film features all-new interviews with Pete Townshend, Roger Daltrey, Sting, Eddy Vedder and others, as well as rare and unreleased concert footage."

http://www.thewho.com/index.php?module=news&news_item_id=129

I found it on Netflix last night and watched part one. Effin excellent is all I can say. Part one covers their journey from childhood and it's influences through The Detours, The High Numbers, and into The Who.

Check it out if you have the chance. I'm still freakin' rockin' :banana:

William

Idris Icabod
04-28-2011, 11:27 AM
My 2 year old has a DVD and I am sure Roger Daultrey is singing 'Wheels on the Bus'. I guess he really didn't want to die before he got old.

rickbb
04-28-2011, 11:31 AM
I guess he really didn't want to die before he got old.
That was confirmed in their Superbowl gig.
They sure had chops in their prime, though.

William
04-28-2011, 11:37 AM

Oh, I agree. That Superbowl thing was a let down, but watching their trajectory in their prime renewed my Who appreciation. Those boys rocked it.

Even as late their 2000 benefit show in NY they were ripping the place apart. The Edge, Eddy Vedder and others say they stole the show.

William

johnnymossville
04-28-2011, 11:43 AM
I agree, at the height of their powers they had an unrivaled live performance. I've had the luck to see them live several times and nobody sat during the entire show. The only live concert experience I've had that rivaled it was hearing Pink Floyd finish with Comfortably Numb.

Even at the 9/11 show for NYC they ripped it up and stole the show.

Thanks for the info I'm gonna look out for this.

William
04-28-2011, 11:50 AM
I agree, at the height of their powers they had an unrivaled live performance. I've had the luck to see them live several times and nobody sat during the entire show. The only live concert experience I've had that rivaled it was hearing Pink Floyd finish with Comfortably Numb.

No special effects or crazy light show...just driving rock! At 7:53 Roger still has the yell!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjA_RtsBfAo

William

johnnymossville
04-28-2011, 12:03 PM
No special effects or crazy light show...just driving rock! At 7:53 Roger still has the yell!

William

That one sends chills up my spine. Now I'll have to go do some windmills on my Strat in honor of Pete.

Fixed
04-28-2011, 12:15 PM
i was sad when moon passed
cheers

rickbb
04-28-2011, 12:25 PM

William

Well, that will do it!
We'll check out the documentary.
Thanks!

William
04-28-2011, 01:51 PM
That one sends chills up my spine. Now I'll have to go do some windmills on my Strat in honor of Pete.

I dusted off my air guitar!! :banana:

William

rcnute
04-28-2011, 02:06 PM
I call that a bargain--the best I ever had!

MadRocketSci
04-28-2011, 02:44 PM
not a pearl jam fan, but thought they rocked the cover of "love, reign over me..."

rwsaunders
04-28-2011, 02:53 PM
I'm a bloody Quadrapheniac...

William
04-28-2011, 03:01 PM
I'm a bloody Quadrapheniac...

Somewhere packed away I have a "Not for sale" Quadraphenia LP I won from a radio station call in when I was a kid. Alas, I no longer have a turntable.....

William

FlashUNC
04-28-2011, 03:07 PM
Their BBC Sessions are astoundingly good. Just shows off what kind of live band they were in their prime.

William
04-28-2011, 03:39 PM
Their BBC Sessions are astoundingly good. Just shows off what kind of live band they were in their prime.

Sessions from the "Mod" era...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0_VNA-y7fs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Kewq3Xy2gk

William

Ray
04-28-2011, 03:56 PM
I think that Super Bowl thing proved they DID die before they got old, and just kept on getting older anyway...

But yeah, they were something when Moon was still pounding away back there - God what a beautiful maniac he was.

-Ray

William
04-28-2011, 04:06 PM
I think that Super Bowl thing proved they DID die before they got old, and just kept on getting older anyway...

But yeah, they were something when Moon was still pounding away back there - God what a beautiful maniac he was.

-Ray

They were a good band before Moon came along. His energy and high tempo helped push them to another level. But, there was also a synergy that developed that brought out the fire in all of them.

William

NRRider
04-28-2011, 06:03 PM
My all-time favorite band.
Who's Next and Quadraphenia are my two "stranded on a desert island" albums.

Frankwurst
04-28-2011, 06:35 PM
Somewhere packed away I have a "Not for sale" Quadraphenia LP I won from a radio station call in when I was a kid. Alas, I no longer have a turntable.....

William

Huh? I refuse to depart from vinyl forever. My daughter of 24 years gave me a nice Little Feat album for Christmas this year and said "I don't think you have this one, enjoy." :beer:

Ray
04-28-2011, 07:09 PM
They were a good band before Moon came along. His energy and high tempo helped push them to another level. But, there was also a synergy that developed that brought out the fire in all of them.
I didn't even know there was a WHO before Moon - he's on the earliest videos I've seen of them. Was their a Pete Best type before Moon became the hyper-drive version of that band's Ringo?

-Ray

William
04-28-2011, 07:23 PM
I didn't even know there was a WHO before Moon - he's on the earliest videos I've seen of them. Was their a Pete Best type before Moon became the hyper-drive version of that band's Ringo?

-Ray

They were the Detours before they were The Who. The drummer before Moon was Doug Sandom who had to leave the band. They changed the name to The Who just before picking up Moon. They then switched their name to the High Numbers for a short stint before going back to The Who.

William

mgd
04-28-2011, 08:01 PM
Oh, I agree. That Superbowl thing was a let down, but watching their trajectory in their prime renewed my Who appreciation. Those boys rocked it.

Even as late their 2000 benefit show in NY they were ripping the place apart. The Edge, Eddy Vedder and others say they stole the show.

William

yep, that ny show was amazingly good. watching it live on tv it looked like even the band was shocked how great they were playing. of course, the ox was there...

wc1934
04-28-2011, 08:14 PM

many many moons ago (pun intended) saw the who, jefferson airplane, bb king and joshua light show at tanglewood - what a concert!

Steve in SLO
04-28-2011, 08:28 PM
My all-time favorite band.
Who's Next and Quadraphenia are my two "stranded on a desert island" albums.
Ditto.
Quadrophenia and Who's Next play almost everyday on my ipod when I ride.

I'm having a great time learning all the acoustic guitar bits on Quadrophenia and Tommy...Amazing acoustic backbone these songs have.

If you have time to burn, check out Townshend's demo tracks on youtube. Pete plays all the instruments in these demos, made at his home studio.

Love Reign O'er Me is a particularly good one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H97Te4cMpNc

rwsaunders
04-28-2011, 08:42 PM
I'm in the car waiting for the LCS (local coffee shop) to open this morning and on the radio comes...Sitting in the Sheraton Gibson playing my Gibson...my favorite Pete T acoustic tune. It's been in my head all day.

William
04-28-2011, 09:43 PM
I just finished watching disk 2. Delves more into the individual members and how they contributed and worked together to create the music. More great material. I don't want to give anything away for those who haven't seen it other than I found the set moving. I will certainly be adding it to the family library.

Real Good Lookin' Boy (2004)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhOKwO6wNVI&feature=related

William

LesMiner
04-29-2011, 07:07 AM
I need to see this video. My younger son is a Who fan, surprising since he was not even thought of when the Who recorded their best. They were somewhat like the earlier British invasion bands. The Who version of My Generation is actually the second remake. Before the Who it was Blue Cheer and I can not remember who it was before that. There must be a story behind Pete Townsend not wanting to follow Hendrix at the Monterey Pop Festival. Making the movie Tommy along with some of Rock's great icons must have been quite an experience. I do prefer the Elton John version of Pinball Wizard, yes I know that is absolute heresy.

William
04-29-2011, 07:25 AM
...There must be a story behind Pete Townsend not wanting to follow Hendrix at the Monterey Pop Festival.

They covered that in the video. Without giving too much away, it had to do with endings. Hendrix was supposed to open before The Who, but The Who got wind of something Hendrix was planning (=copy) so they switched it. Good call.

William

William
04-29-2011, 10:29 AM
Ok, I will try to make this my last post on this subject.....but I'm listening to The Who with a new ear. In the past it had always been The Who as a whole that I listened to. The overall. Now I'm listening more to the individuals who made the whole.

One of the folks included in the documentary was Noel Gallagher of Oasis. He made the comment (others echoed) that "The Who was made up of a lead drummer, a lead bassist, a lead guitarist, and a lead vocalist. What the Eff!!!" I agree with that now.

I was just mowing the property with my headphones on and The Real Me came on and John Entwistle's base playing blew me away. Not just background bum, bum, be-bum, but a lead in itself. Awsome.

Just close your eyes and listen to the base.

The Real Me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9Or4QGI80Y

William

Steve in SLO
04-29-2011, 10:35 AM
William,
If you want to appreciate the soloing styles of the various members, check out the isolated tracks from a number of the songs on youtube. Here's an example of Moon on "Won't Get Fooled Again":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moNGqf6iSME

William
04-29-2011, 10:40 AM
William,
If you want to appreciate the soloing styles of the various members, check out the isolated tracks from a number of the songs on youtube. Here's an example of Moon on "Won't Get Fooled Again":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moNGqf6iSME

Excellent! Thank you!

William

Mr. Squirrel
04-29-2011, 11:46 AM
dear mr. william,
who are you?

mr. squirrel

William
11-14-2011, 08:35 AM
....I'm in a Who mood!!! :hello: :banana: :hello:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dlN55SoF4Q&feature=related

William

Steve in SLO
11-14-2011, 09:51 AM
Ahhhh. That set me right for the day...thanks, William!

Aaron O
11-14-2011, 09:59 AM

-Ray

The new lyric should be - hope I die before I get even older.

I saw The Who in the late 80s and they were horrendous...it was like a parody of a reunion tour. They were honestly among the single worst live shows I've ever seen. As awful as that show was, the Super Bowl performance was far worse. They really need to stop.

William
11-14-2011, 10:09 AM
The new lyric should be - hope I die before I get even older.

I saw The Who in the late 80s and they were horrendous...it was like a parody of a reunion tour. They were honestly among the single worst live shows I've ever seen. As awful as that show was, the Super Bowl performance was far worse. They really need to stop.

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/funny-pictures-turtle-is-disappointed.jpg

:) :)

Yes, and they admit as much. When they got back together after the 2001 NY show, every one in the biz say they blew the doors off of everyone else. They've had highs and lows, and when they are on....no one is touching them.

William

William
11-14-2011, 10:12 AM
Ahhhh. That set me right for the day...thanks, William!

:beer:

William

NRRider
11-14-2011, 10:14 AM
....I'm in a Who mood!!! :hello: :banana: :hello:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dlN55SoF4Q&feature=related
William
Never seen/heard that version before. Awesome and thanks. My favorite from that album.

Aaron O
11-14-2011, 11:07 AM
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/funny-pictures-turtle-is-disappointed.jpg

:) :)

Yes, and they admit as much. When they got back together after the 2001 NY show, every one in the biz say they blew the doors off of everyone else. They've had highs and lows, and when they are on....no one is touching them.

William

I agree overall, except those moments are not their norm. They have some great songs...but they also have higher than the average amount of crud. Overall, I'd consider them an inconsistent band that has moments of pure brilliance. They're the kind of band I enjoy most with a "best of" album, which isn't really a compliment.

William
11-14-2011, 12:58 PM
I agree overall, except those moments are not their norm. They have some great songs...but they also have higher than the average amount of crud. Overall, I'd consider them an inconsistent band that has moments of pure brilliance. They're the kind of band I enjoy most with a "best of" album, which isn't really a compliment.

You could say that about a lot popular bands. There are very few who anyone could say that "all their songs are great". I would argue that they've had more "moments of pure brilliance" then most other rock bands. I won't say all of their work is great, but I must like more of it then you do. Many people might disagree with me, but I could substitute The Stones into your quote above and it would totally work for me. From your previous posts on music and song writing it is very clear that there are places that you and I are wide apart in our tastes, and there are some places that we diverge. That's the beauty of music though, a medium of art that is different things to different people.

William

Though I did meet a woman once who thought that Bob Seger and The Silver Bullit Band was "THE" best band in the world. Everything else in her opinion "sucked!!". :rolleyes: :)

Aaron O
11-14-2011, 01:45 PM
You could say that about a lot popular bands. There are very few who anyone could say that "all their songs are great". I would argue that they've had more "moments of pure brilliance" then most other rock bands. I won't say all of their work is great, but I must like more of it then you do. Many people might disagree with me, but I could substitute The Stones into your quote above and it would totally work for me. From your previous posts on music and song writing it is very clear that there are places that you and I are wide apart in our tastes, and there are some places that we diverge. That's the beauty of music though, a medium of art that is different things to different people.

William

Though I did meet a woman once who thought that Bob Seger and The Silver Bullit Band was "THE" best band in the world. Everything else in her opinion "sucked!!". :rolleyes: :)

Sounds right to me :beer:

The Who do have some stellar work, but as a whole, for me, blah. They certainly wouldn't make my top 10 British list and I doubt they'd make my top 20. They wouldn't make my top 5 from the 60s for that matter. I'd place them with, or maybe even under, The Hollies and The Animals and I don't think they merit mention with the true greats (The Stones, Beatles and Kinks).

I'll say this - that Super Bowl performance was horrendous and when i saw them, it wasn't just me who was disappointed. They really sucked the joint up...I would have felt badly for them if i hadn't blown my Burger King paycheck for two weeks seeing them.

William
11-14-2011, 02:03 PM
I agree on that Super Bowl performance (I stated that at the beginning of this thread), it was bad...though the BEP's were down there as well. Prince has the crown on recent SB performances and I'm not even a big Prince fan.

If you have a chance, and you're so inclined, check out the second disk of the documentary. Quite a few in the biz talk about them, their style, and influence. A lot of things they were doing that others copied.

They would be in my top 10. The Stones and Beatles may make my top 20.

William

Aaron O
11-14-2011, 02:07 PM
I agree on that Super Bowl performance (I stated that at the beginning of this thread), it was bad...though the BEP's were down there as well. Prince has the crown on recent SB performances and I'm not even a big Prince fan.

If you have a chance, and you're so inclined, check out the second disk of the documentary. Quite a few in the biz talk about them, their style, and influence. A lot of things they were doing that others copied.

They would be in my top 10. The Stones and Beatles may make my top 20.

William

+1 on Prince...he set the mark for greatness in a Bowl show for me. He was just enthrawling in every sense of the word.