PDA

View Full Version : OT: Contact lenses and their lifespan...

rice rocket
04-28-2011, 02:26 AM
Any optometrists/opthamologists on here?

Is there a reason that contacts are given a stated lifespan? I switched contact lens solutions mostly because my ex-girlfriend was allergic to my other stuff, so we switched to a peroxide based solution. Honestly thought it was a sham at first but I'm a believer now, this stuff is awesome. Lenses feel like new every morning, just make sure you give it 6+ hours of time or else you get peroxide burns in your eyes (ask me how I know... :rolleyes: ).

I've basically taken my 2 week lenses to 4 weeks, and they still feel great. Is there any health reasons why I shouldn't go longer? Is there buildup of nastiness that I can't remove with normal daily cleansing? I've heard oxygen delivery falls after a given period of time, but ever since I switched solutions from the traditional Alcon/Bausch & Lomb kind, I don't feel the effects of extended lens wear like I used to.

alancw3
04-28-2011, 03:42 AM
i don't know the answer but being a contact lense wearer what brand of solution do you use now? was not aware of a peroxide based solution. for years now i have used walmart brand (equate) solution.

rice rocket
04-28-2011, 05:34 AM
There's a few of them now, with some knockoffs as well from Target/CVS, etc. Most of them come with their own case that has a platinum disc in the bottom that is the catalyst for the peroxide. They also make some that comes w/o a disc, and you neutralize it by rinsing with saline before you pop them in, but then it becomes a two step process.

I use the Clear Care from CIBA Vision. Seems like most everyone has good things to say about them, but it is expensive. $16 for 2-16 oz bottles from Costco, and you can't really be stingy with solution and underfill it like you would in normal lens cases either, because there have to be enough solution to cover the lens in its case (lenses are stored "vertically").

TomP
04-28-2011, 06:51 AM
Hi,

I'm an optometrist. Most lenses can safely be worn longer than their stated times. Please tell me your brand and I'm happy to tell you how long I believe you can safely go.

As to solutions, many people do well with a standard multi-purpose solution. You do not need to fill the case to the top, just about 2/3 full. Hydrogen peroxide based solutions are excellent, but a bit pricey.

rice rocket
04-28-2011, 07:01 AM
Cool, thanks Tom. :)

I'm on Bausch and Lomb SofLens Toric.

I'm filling the peroxide case up to the line (about halfway), it seems to be the minimum amount to fully submerge the lenses once the top assembly w/ lens holder and disc goes in. When I used to use flat lens cases, I would only fill until the lens was submerged, which was pretty minimal in comparison.

TomP
04-28-2011, 07:05 AM
The B$L Soflens Toric is a good lens. It tends to have good comfort, vision and stability. The material is a bit more fragile than some others and can be prone to tearing. It is a healthy material. I think you can easily go a month and even up to 6 to 8 weeks safely.

benb
04-28-2011, 09:13 AM
Woah.. I gotta ask my eye doctor about this peroxide based cleaner next time I go for an exam.

I can't wear contacts as is and I swear it is the solution that is the problem. I'm OK when I first start wearing them but after a week or two no matter what I do they burn my eyes like crazy, and the eye drops just make it worse.

(I need Torics so I haven't been able to try the ones that you throw out every day.)

I'd absolutely love to be able to wear them cycling.

TMB
04-28-2011, 09:36 AM
I have been wearing contacts for probably 25 years, and apart from a brief, stupid excursion into daily disposables I have used that solution for pretty much all that time.

I used to use a "cleaner" before they went into the dip tank, quit doing that somewhere along the way but I think I will re-visit that step as well.

Mine are supposed to be 2 week disposables, I get about a month.

Bob Ross
04-28-2011, 10:21 AM
I think you can easily go a month and even up to 6 to 8 weeks safely.

Is the lifespan based on actual usage, or is it irrespective of how much time is spent in (on?) the eyes?

I only wear contacts once or twice a week. My gut instinct is that I should be able to get considerably longer than 6 - 8 weeks out of a pair if most of that time is just spent floating in saline in their case.

Iz I a idiot?

Squint
04-28-2011, 01:52 PM
I used 2-week disposables but they got uncomfortable after a few days. I think I'm a big depositor of protein, lipids, etc. I went back to using Miraflow cleaner and ClearCare as the storage solution and my contacts are much more comfortable now and also no longer disposable. Well, they are disposable contacts but I clean them, wear them for a year, and then throw them away.

John M
04-28-2011, 01:57 PM
Hi,

I'm an optometrist. Most lenses can safely be worn longer than their stated times. Please tell me your brand and I'm happy to tell you how long I believe you can safely go.

Sorry for the thread hijack, but I wear Acuvue 2, and have for several years (acuvue 1 before that). Never had a problem and change to a new pair every two weeks because that is what I was told to do and never really questioned it. Can I/should go longer? Have I been throwing away a perfectly good lens?

Thanks Tom.

FlashUNC
04-28-2011, 02:00 PM
I just wear mine while riding, and have managed to stretch them out for quite a while just doing that.

Knowing my luck, probably means I'm setting myself up for blindness in about 10 years.

wc1934
04-28-2011, 08:24 PM
I switched from B & L a few years ago after their recall - have been using clear care - peroxide since - have acuvue oasis and I change them monthly, as per docs recommendation - I notice that my vision is not as sharp if I go much longer than a month - just assumed that they start to wear out.

Don49
04-28-2011, 08:47 PM
Sorry for the thread hijack, but I wear Acuvue 2, and have for several years (acuvue 1 before that). Never had a problem and change to a new pair every two weeks because that is what I was told to do and never really questioned it. Can I/should go longer? Have I been throwing away a perfectly good lens?

Thanks Tom.

I've been wearing the Acuvue (1&2) for many years. With daily wear I go a full month before changing to a new pair. Toward the end of the month they sometimes start to feel a little rough to the eye, but no other issues. I soak them overnight in a generic "multi-purpose solution". I save the old pair as a backup pair during the next month or to use for swimming or scuba.

I think the wear time is greatly effected by our individual tear chemistry.

TomP
04-28-2011, 08:55 PM
The vast majority of people can safely and comfortably wear "2 week" disposable lenses for a month. If you would rather not clean them, then 1 to 2 weeks is appropriate. However, with daily cleaning and disinfection one month is fine. Some of the "2 week" lenses are more fragile than others and that is generally why they start to feel uncomfortable at the end of the wearing time.

sonatageek
04-29-2011, 04:11 AM
I have monthly disposable lenses that I regularly use for 2-3 months before replacement. I am also a long time user of the CIBA peroxide disinfection system and have been nothing but happy.

The only unhappy day was once, in the car, when I grabbed a small bottle that I thought was re-wetting drops, but instead was a small bottle of the peroxide disinfecting solution. Somehow I missed the RED top (to keep people from doing the dumb thing I was about to do) and I put some into my one eye. OUCH!!

Lots of actually saline drops and getting the lens out pronto and still a very very uncomfortable couple of hours.

Bud_E
04-29-2011, 01:41 PM
More than once ( pretty dumb huh ? ) I've put a hydrogen peroxide-soaked lens in my eye. The utter cruelty is that you just want to get that sucker out of your eye immediately but your eye's response is to shut as tightly as it can making it very difficult to get the lens out.

FlashUNC
04-29-2011, 02:04 PM
More than once ( pretty dumb huh ? ) I've put a hydrogen peroxide-soaked lens in my eye. The utter cruelty is that you just want to get that sucker out of your eye immediately but your eye's response is to shut as tightly as it can making it very difficult to get the lens out.

Mother Nature is a cruel mistress.

rice rocket
04-29-2011, 02:27 PM
I've done it twice right when I'm on the edge of the 6 hour neutralization window.

Then it looks like you smoked a pound of weed when you get to work. ;)

Squint
04-29-2011, 03:27 PM
When the catalyst discs get a little old, the lenses still seem to sting even after a full 6 hours. What I do is have 3 pairs in rotation. One I wear and the other two are cleaned at the same time every other day with Miraflow, protein remover, and ClearCare. That way, one pair of contacts gets ~24 hours for its solution to neutralize and the other gets ~48 hours (vs. 6 hours).

jhat
04-29-2011, 07:04 PM
My girlfriend seems to think that the trial pair of contacts are good for 6 mos. :no: Anyone see a problem with that. She will finally get a new pair when they finally rip. :confused: :confused: