PDA

View Full Version : SRAM Rival front shifter super loud... normal?

phcollard
04-27-2011, 09:59 PM
Hi there.

I am sorry I have found traces of answers using the search function but no definitive advice from you experts so I am taking a chance.

So here I am with my brand new Rival stuff: shifters, front and rear der. I kept Shimano for the rest. Installation was pretty easy no kidding. I almost did not touch the rear derailleur and it shifts very smoothly.

The anxiety begun when I tried the front shifter... shifting to big chainring is no problem. Positive and very nice I would say - although a bit hard to actuate. But downshifting to the small chainring is another story. When I first did that it took two very loud "CLUNK" to downshift. So loud I thought the shifter was going to explode!

Also there was no visible trimming. So I slacked the cable a bit and now I can trim (on the big chainring) but it's still very noisy. Is that normal? Granted I have little experience in cycling mechanics but all the Shimano stuff I've had to date was way more silent (6500, 6600, 7800, etc).

What's the cause you think and what's the solution? Should I put back my Shimano front derailleur? Should I change cables? Do I have to soak the Rival derailleur in oil with pixie dust overnight?

Thanks a lot in advance for your wisdom.

Philippe.

vqdriver
04-27-2011, 10:24 PM
It's louder than shimano

Nathanrtaylor
04-27-2011, 10:44 PM
SRAM is loud, unrefined, does exactly what it needs to do move the chain to the next wheel or cog. And nothing else.

In those respects it is the perfect racing groupset. Sounds like it is working as designed.

bkboom123
04-27-2011, 11:16 PM
as a shimano da7800 to sram red convert.....this is normal. Seems strange at first but the stuff just plain works.

I dont do a ton of shifting in the front, but when I do its always a very audible shift.

Aside from the front shifting (which works perfectly, just the sound is loud)...the drivetrain is just as quiet. I run a Sram red cassette and chain, and its almost as quiet as the 7800 group. The only times I have heard an obnoxiously noisy sram drivetrain were when the person had no clue how to setup the rd......read around the internet. Anyone that has a clue how to tune a bike, knows the red drivetrain isnt nearly as loud as people make it out to be.

vpierce1
04-27-2011, 11:34 PM
Sounds par for course. My front Force is always loud as well. I thought I broke the damn thing the first time it happened.

false_Aest
04-28-2011, 12:29 AM
You're obviously doing something wrong.

man up.

keep the chain in the big ring.

phcollard
04-28-2011, 08:43 AM
Thanks a lot guys. I feel better :)

Yeah big chainring is for real men :beer:

false_Aest
04-28-2011, 08:59 AM
I should also mention the following:

I'm a Sally and use my inner chainring.
When I shift . . . well you know how when a hunter fires a gun flocks of birds fly away in fright? Cyclists around me do the same thing.

phcollard
04-28-2011, 09:01 AM
I should also mention the following:

I'm a Sally and use my inner chainring.
When I shift . . . well you know how when a hunter fires a gun flocks of birds fly away in fright? Cyclists around me do the same thing.

LOL! That might actually be a good thing! :D

EDS
04-28-2011, 09:07 AM
Hi there.

I am sorry I have found traces of answers using the search function but no definitive advice from you experts so I am taking a chance.

So here I am with my brand new Rival stuff: shifters, front and rear der. I kept Shimano for the rest. Installation was pretty easy no kidding. I almost did not touch the rear derailleur and it shifts very smoothly.

The anxiety begun when I tried the front shifter... shifting to big chainring is no problem. Positive and very nice I would say - although a bit hard to actuate. But downshifting to the small chainring is another story. When I first did that it took two very loud "CLUNK" to downshift. So loud I thought the shifter was going to explode!

Also there was no visible trimming. So I slacked the cable a bit and now I can trim (on the big chainring) but it's still very noisy. Is that normal? Granted I have little experience in cycling mechanics but all the Shimano stuff I've had to date was way more silent (6500, 6600, 7800, etc).

What's the cause you think and what's the solution? Should I put back my Shimano front derailleur? Should I change cables? Do I have to soak the Rival derailleur in oil with pixie dust overnight?

Thanks a lot in advance for your wisdom.

Philippe.

Mine is not that loud.

johnnymossville
04-28-2011, 09:13 AM
...sounds like a chicken leg or collarbone snapping. It'll send fear and give chills to the Shimano riders in the Peloton.

Ofcourse, they have Dura-Ace Cranksets that just snap in two with no warning. :)

JeffS
05-04-2011, 07:23 PM
The first bike or two I cabled I tried to run the cables on the front side of the bar. The shifters are noisy and hardish to shift.

The bikes that I have setup correctly are a night and day difference, both front and rear. Shifting is MUCH easier and quieter. Find another bike or three to try out and determine if what you're experiencing is a problem, or normal SRAM clunkiness.

phcollard
05-04-2011, 07:31 PM
The first bike or two I cabled I tried to run the cables on the front side of the bar. The shifters are noisy and hardish to shift.

The bikes that I have setup correctly are a night and day difference, both front and rear. Shifting is MUCH easier and quieter. Find another bike or three to try out and determine if what you're experiencing is a problem, or normal SRAM clunkiness.

Thanks Jeff. My cables run on the under side of the bar.

Is that the best in your experience?

WayneJ
05-04-2011, 07:35 PM
The loudness "softens" over time, and varies from one shifter to another. I applied some grease to that little triangular-shaped piece that indexes with the shift. It helped, but not as much as I had hoped.