PDA

View Full Version : Painting carbon fork

jgspin
04-27-2011, 08:06 PM
Has anyone painted their own carbon fiber forks? How did it turn out? Is this a job for a pro or can anyone with bit of ability undertake? I have fork that I was thinking of painting to match my ti frame.

ultraman6970
04-27-2011, 08:09 PM
Sand the clear coat with 400 grit wet sand paper, just a little bit so it gets dull, the idea is to etch the surface.

Use car paint, 2 stage polyurethane car paint, single stage will work too but do not use rattle can like rustoleum.

Clear it... sand it, polish it, done.

Good luck hope you have any place near where to get the materials plus a spray gun.

Marcusaurelius
04-27-2011, 10:56 PM
If you have an air compressor and spray gun (as already mentioned) it's not too formidable a task (you can of course rent an air compressor and spray gun).

kmla320
04-28-2011, 07:32 AM
Vicious Cycles in New Paltz,NY painted a carbon fork for me . It's now white and they did a great job.

jgspin
04-28-2011, 03:30 PM
If you have an air compressor and spray gun (as already mentioned) it's not too formidable a task (you can of course rent an air compressor and spray gun).

I do have a compressor and a spray gun; but haven't used it in 8 years. I don't want to buy all the paint and primer and not be able to do a decent job, but it will be on a spare fork so just in case I mess up I have my other one. Haven't decided yet if I just want to prep the fork and bring it to a auto painting place and let them do the actual painting.

jgspin
04-28-2011, 03:33 PM
Vicious Cycles in New Paltz,NY painted a carbon fork for me . It's now white and they did a great job.

How much does it cost to get it painted? Maybe I could just buy a matching fork; but I like to do projects. In fact I have a lot of projects that I haven't started cause I spend too much time on my bike. :)

rugbysecondrow
04-28-2011, 03:34 PM
I do have a compressor and a spray gun; but haven't used it in 8 years. I don't want to buy all the paint and primer and not be able to do a decent job, but it will be on a spare fork so just in case I mess up I have my other one. Haven't decided yet if I just want to prep the fork and bring it to a auto painting place and let them do the actual painting.

I think the second option is the best one. Unless you actually want to undertake it as a project, I would take it someplace local.

ultraman6970
04-28-2011, 05:00 PM
Paint a steel for is a pita because of the lugs and the surface is quite small but with carbon is pretty hard to mess up the paint job because the fork is twice as big as a steel one. Sand the paint and Clear coat in a carbon fork is way easier than do it in a steel fork. Well good luck if you want to do it yourself.

92degrees
04-28-2011, 05:15 PM
I had one painted (by a bike painter) for $150 this past winter. Time and materials would have cost me more than that I think.

rice rocket
04-28-2011, 05:38 PM
Not really.

You can get pre-mixed urethane paints for $20 a can. They can match any color paint, or you can specify a paint color if you want (i.e. Honda S2000 Suzuka Blue Metallic). You shouldn't need more than one can unless you're REALLY bad at spraying. The primer and clear should be even cheaper (since it's premixed).

Edit: If you're lazy, I sanded and single stage cleared my ex-gf's bike with acrylic clear in about 10 minutes. Worked fine, and matte cleared carbon parts look awesome. It was like $3 or 4 at Home Depot.

Remember to tape off your steerer, especially if your crown race is normally tight.

kmla320
04-28-2011, 07:08 PM
180.00 to paint the fork at Vicious Cycles which included prep.(sanding ) This fork went on a Pegoretti Responsorium that had a background of white !! Not cheap I know but .

92degrees
04-28-2011, 07:43 PM
Not really.

You can get pre-mixed urethane paints for $20 a can. They can match any color paint, or you can specify a paint color if you want (i.e. Honda S2000 Suzuka Blue Metallic). You shouldn't need more than one can unless you're REALLY bad at spraying. The primer and clear should be even cheaper (since it's premixed).

Edit: If you're lazy, I sanded and single stage cleared my ex-gf's bike with acrylic clear in about 10 minutes. Worked fine, and matte cleared carbon parts look awesome. It was like $3 or 4 at Home Depot.

Remember to tape off your steerer, especially if your crown race is normally tight.

I think I was quoted $43 to match the paint on my bike. Same ballpark for primer and clearcoat I agree. Not sure how you can strip, mask, and paint (even a single coat) in 10min, but I'm not fast. For me it was worth paying the difference to have a pro do it -- multiple coats, clear coat, no drips or sags.

jgspin
04-29-2011, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the tips. I'm not in a hurry and undecided which direction to go so will probably prep it for the time being then toss a coin and then decide. I might have to toss it 3-5 times just to convince myself.

ultraman6970
04-30-2011, 08:56 AM
I used to toss coins in multiple choices tests and the revise them 2 or 3 times the same way to know if the toss was right or not :P

xjahx
04-30-2011, 03:13 PM
We need more pictures of painted forks. Here is my newest example:

http://www.geekhousebikes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/DWGHCX1.jpg

fishbolish
04-30-2011, 03:41 PM
depends on the color you want it(& what i have on hand) & when you need it...I will be painting in the weeks to come & could add the fork in when i do...

AngryScientist
04-30-2011, 04:01 PM
We need more pictures of painted forks. Here is my newest example:

http://www.geekhousebikes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/DWGHCX1.jpg

love it.

jgspin
04-30-2011, 05:31 PM
depends on the color you want it(& what i have on hand) & when you need it...I will be painting in the weeks to come & could add the fork in when i do...

Man if I were only closer, I'd take you up on that. Thanks.

fishbolish
05-01-2011, 09:38 PM
no problem......just finished 3 frames last month(one for a friend,one for my wife,& one for a bike shop manager)

jlwdm
05-01-2011, 11:28 PM
[QUOTE=xjahx]We need more pictures of painted forks. Here is my newest example:

Looks good, but why aren't all of the tubes different colors. Get painting.

Jeff

DRZRM
05-02-2011, 06:15 AM
Well, if we are sharing pics...

IF matched this Edge 2.0 fork (the original had been cut so short my back couldn't even think about riding it). Expensive, but they did a perfect job with the match, even though they said they would not be able to ensure a "perfect" match.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f302/drzrm/DSC_0005-2.jpg