PDA

View Full Version : Sizing Assos/ Castelli

jpw
04-27-2011, 08:41 AM
I have a black Serotta OC short sleeved jersey from a couple of years ago, the one with the big white 'O' and the smaller red 'C' design front and back, made by Castelli, in a medium. It fits me nicely, snug, no excess, no flapping in the wind, not overly tight, but I wouldn't want it any smaller.

The Castelli sizing chart states their medium is for a 96cm chest. The Assos sizing chart states their small is for a 96cm (I think also a reference to chest measurement). I'm wondering if an Assos small is in fact the same actual fit as my Castelli medium? 96 is 96, but small isn't medium. Are the two companies just attaching different words to the same actual size here, or do they have different interpretations of how a jersey should fit on a body? I'm a little bit confused.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Lewym
04-27-2011, 09:10 AM
I have that same Serotta jersey. I think that it is "club fit" so it is a bit more relaxed than Castelli's normal fit. Castelli fit is all over the map, however. Varies piece by piece. YMMV.

For Assos, definitely size up at least one size (I am a pretty consistent Mens's M in normal clothes - 40 reg suit off the rack) and I wear at least L or sometimes XL in Assos (depending on the piece). Depending on the piece Assos tops run small'ish and small'isher.

With Assos, I'd bite the bullet and buy your first pieces retail (or from someone like CC where you can get service and exchange) so you can be sure of sizing. It is worth it (in my opinion) and once you have your fit dialed in Assos, it is pretty consistent - or at least easy to predict. Rule of thumb (unless you are built like a Schleck), bibs and tights upsize over your normal world size +1, tops upsize +1 or +2.

In my experience, Castelli is less preditable - but then again less economic risk if you are taking a flyer on some Bonktown closeout.

Grant McLean
04-27-2011, 12:45 PM
I'm wondering if an Assos small is in fact the same actual fit as my Castelli medium? 96 is 96, but small isn't medium. Are the two companies just attaching different words to the same actual size here, or do they have different interpretations of how a jersey should fit on a body? I'm a little bit confused.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

I recently tried on a lot of Assos, and a small is REALLY small.

The jersey fit for Assos depends on the model. The Uno is a "slim" fit that
is trim, but not super-tight. I'm 5'7" and 140lbs and my chest actual
measurement is about 90cm around. The medium fits me
the way i like, not skin tight. I can put on a small, but the zipper is tight
all the way up the front, it's really snug.

The "mille" jersey is a full cut. A medium on me is a dress. The small is
good, fits about like a medium in the Uno.

The SS.13 is shrink wrap. A medium looks sprayed on, and a large is still
very snug. This jersey has a ton of stretch in the fabric. If you're really
thin and in great shape (no love handles, I mean none!) then you can pull it
off, but i felt like i was wearing saranwrap.

BTW, there is also a difference in the cut of Assos shorts. The UNO and
the top of the line F1.13 are snug fit with quite nice compression, and the
"mille" short, like the jersey, is a fuller cut, with a larger diameter leg.

-g

jpw
04-27-2011, 02:07 PM
I recently tried on a lot of Assos, and a small is REALLY small.

The jersey fit for Assos depends on the model. The Uno is a "slim" fit that
is trim, but not super-tight. I'm 5'7" and 140lbs and my chest actual
measurement is about 90cm around. The medium fits me
the way i like, not skin tight. I can put on a small, but the zipper is tight
all the way up the front, it's really snug.

The "mille" jersey is a full cut. A medium on me is a dress. The small is
good, fits about like a medium in the Uno.

The SS.13 is shrink wrap. A medium looks sprayed on, and a large is still
very snug. This jersey has a ton of stretch in the fabric. If you're really
thin and in great shape (no love handles, I mean none!) then you can pull it
off, but i felt like i was wearing saranwrap.

BTW, there is also a difference in the cut of Assos shorts. The UNO and
the top of the line F1.13 are snug fit with quite nice compression, and the
"mille" short, like the jersey, is a fuller cut, with a larger diameter leg.

-g

This is interesting information, thanks.

I may need to go to a physical shop for a fitting session. I have done this recently but i only had time to try some upper body basic items like arm warmers (I'm a I), the Luftshutz (medium is me), the Fugu (not a great fit I have to say), and the Habu (medium, nicely done). For lower body items I need to take some vacation time and camp out back for a couple of days to get it right. I don't like shopping :-)

jpw
04-27-2011, 02:08 PM
I have that same Serotta jersey. I think that it is "club fit" so it is a bit more relaxed than Castelli's normal fit. Castelli fit is all over the map, however. Varies piece by piece. YMMV.

For Assos, definitely size up at least one size (I am a pretty consistent Mens's M in normal clothes - 40 reg suit off the rack) and I wear at least L or sometimes XL in Assos (depending on the piece). Depending on the piece Assos tops run small'ish and small'isher.

With Assos, I'd bite the bullet and buy your first pieces retail (or from someone like CC where you can get service and exchange) so you can be sure of sizing. It is worth it (in my opinion) and once you have your fit dialed in Assos, it is pretty consistent - or at least easy to predict. Rule of thumb (unless you are built like a Schleck), bibs and tights upsize over your normal world size +1, tops upsize +1 or +2.

In my experience, Castelli is less preditable - but then again less economic risk if you are taking a flyer on some Bonktown closeout.

This is also interesting info - thanks.

Grant McLean
04-27-2011, 02:57 PM
the Habu (medium, nicely done)

I have a medium Habu Jacket, it fits like a medium Uno Jersey.
The medium Mille jersey will be too big for you if you can zip
up a Habu jacket in medium, you'd need a small Mille Jersey.

Have fun shopping, it's better than the dentist (barely!)

:)

-g

mgm777
04-27-2011, 02:59 PM
I have a bunch of Assos stuff and here's my experience.

full disclosure: 155 lbs, 5' 10'', lean build.

Assos:
Uno Jersey(new version) - I wear a large, it is perfect. I think a medium is too small for me.
Uno Jersey(old version) - I wear a medium, large was too baggy.
851 Airjack - I wear a large - comfortable fit, leaves enough room for significant baselayers
Element Zero jersey: Medium - form fitting
Element One Jacket: Medium - form fitting, but comfortable
Fugu Jacket: medium, no need for baselayers

Castelli:
Roso Corsa Long Sleeve Thermal Jersey: I tried a Large...it was too small

To me, the Castelli stuff runs very small, even compared to Assos.

Good luck.

LouDeeter
04-27-2011, 03:28 PM
This applies to bib shorts as well. If you need a Large, buy at least XL or even XXL for Assos unless you like to tug and pull and feel like a sausage on your ride. Castelli, I usually wear standard sizing, so XL is XL from my experience.

regularguy412
04-27-2011, 03:35 PM
This applies to bib shorts as well. If you need a Large, buy at least XL or even XXL for Assos unless you like to tug and pull and feel like a sausage on your ride. Castelli, I usually wear standard sizing, so XL is XL from my experience.

I recently tried some Castelli bib shorts with the KISS chamois. Very nice. I usually take Medium in most shorts, but these seemed a bit tight in the legs and the stirrups seemed a bit 'short' ( and I'm not a tall guy). I gave those to a friend and bought the Large size. They are OK, but still seem to fit a bit differently than the Descente shorts I have worn in the past 3 years.

No experience with Assos.

Mike in AR:beer:

Grant McLean
04-27-2011, 04:39 PM
If you need a Large, buy at least XL or even XXL for Assos

The only thing i would add to this is recognize what model you are trying.
Not all the models from Assos fit the same, generalizing about the brand
can be the source of much conflicting information.

Also, for 2011, the Mille-S5 Bib also comes in two different leg inseam lengths,
just to make it more confusing. The "regular" Mille Bib is about 4cm shorter
in the leg than all the other models.

-g