PDA

View Full Version : cs1 to legend to ottrott

hooverone
02-07-2004, 12:47 AM
I really want an Ottrott but love the price of an cs1 so I look at the cs1 and think of the steel, possibly rusting, framesaver etc, then look at the diffence in cost between that and a Legend and then say heck an Ottrott is not much more than the Legend and before I know it I am looking at a five thousand dollar frame. Oh what to do. I have had only steel bikes in the past and do not like seeing rust colored grease when I remove my seatpost. But then I think if Orange County Choppers builds forty thousand dollar choppers on steel frames and they must rust some also well then why not the cs1; well what a loop. I have have thought about this way too much. Still undecided what Serotta to get.

Any Pointers?

Jim

Kevin
02-07-2004, 05:22 AM
I have an Ottrott ST. It is a great bike. It does everything well. It absorbs road vibration better than any bike I have ever ridden. This is a great thing for those of us who are looking for a little comfort in a bike that can fly. It also handles like it is on rails. It does not matter how fast you are going, you just point the bike where you want it to go, and it goes right there. What is amazing is that it goes right to that location while giving you a very secure feeling. It descends extremely well. It is so secure going down hill that you don't realize how fast you are going until you look at your computer.

I also own a Litespeed Vortex and a couple of old steel Bianchis, the Ottrott is in a completely different league.

Kevin

dbrk
02-07-2004, 07:23 AM
Unless you leave your bike out in the rain and wet or you live in a place even more wet than western NY is snowy, I'd say your concerns about rust are emotional rather then practical. Let's see, I have at least 15 bikes that are at least 25 years old, every last one of which was ridden well and saw the outside (not show pieces or wallhangers). Not one of them has serious or even moderate rust problems. Nearly every one of them rides as well as any modern, high zoot bike, some of them better than any such bikes (and it's not like I'm inexperienced or just grouchy).

So, as I see it, it's just a matter of deciding what you want or like. Better? Nahhh. That's not what is at stake. Better is just someone's idea of her or his preferences when it comes to high end bicycles or great bicycles properly designed. An Ottrott is a great, great ride. Been there, I can attest. But you mention the money, so once you put that into the mix, there are real and serious choices. I would leave "better" out of it because there are lots and lots of GREAT riding bikes for half as much. The CIII is every bit the same ride as the CSi, 'cause tubes is tubes. So it's all a matter of what you want. Everyone who loves bicycles should have your "problem"! Enjoy the angst, it's part of the fun.

dbrk

Kevin
02-07-2004, 08:33 AM
hooverone,

drbk makes a good point. There is an economic factor to be considered. While I love my Ottrott. It is almost impossible to say it is a "good buy" from a money point of view. (I have to use the word "almost" in case my wife reads this). You just have to decide to spoil yourself.

As far as your concerns regarding rusting steel. If you care for them, steel frames last a very long time. My old Bianchis have alot of mileage on them. Some of those miles being "hard" miles on the trainer. I enjoy a steel frame so much that I ordered a CSi last week as a back-up to the Ottrott.

Whether you purchase an Ottrott or a CSi you will enjoy the bike.

Kevin

cycledoc
02-07-2004, 11:51 AM
FWIW, I have a steel frame road bike (Motobecane Le Champion) that is over 30 years old, has never seen frame saver, been ridden hard in the rain and "put up wet", lovingly maintained otherwise and it still rides like the dream ride it was when I purchased it in 1973. In fact most of the components are original Campy Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro leather saddle with just cables, chain, chain rings, jockey pulleys, freewheel, brakepads, hoods, etc. replaced over time as they've worn and needed replacement. Steel truly is real and it's forever with very little maintainance. Buy what your heart and pocketbook allow, the ride will be wonderful if the fit is right.

pbbob
02-07-2004, 12:34 PM
don't worry about rust. get the csi and put the extra money into a bike vacation or something like that.

saw some of the orange county choppers in baltimoron last weekend.

Serotta PETE
02-07-2004, 08:33 PM
I have some steel bikes that are 20 years old and no rust in tube. My old Ritchey from 86 has seem years of woods riding in rain and been in the water....Outside a little ratty but inside tubes is fine. CSI comes with frame-saver coating AND if you want ot be on safe side just re-spray every few years.

If you like the CSI,,,,buy it....Ride it and do not worry about rust.

PETE