PDA

View Full Version : Keen Commuter Sandals

rugbysecondrow
04-26-2011, 12:33 PM
These are on Bonktown now and I am looking at picking up a pair.

Anybody use these? What do you think?

Do they run small, large or pretty true?

Thanks fellas and ladies.

Paul

AngryScientist
04-26-2011, 12:35 PM
These are on Bonktown now and I am looking at picking up a pair.

Anybody use these? What do you think?

Do they run small, large or pretty true?

Thanks fellas and ladies.

Paul

if they're like regular keen sandals and shoes, they're very well made and long lasting. big keen fan here, never used the bike specific stuff though. they run pretty true to size.

rugbysecondrow
04-26-2011, 12:38 PM
if they're like regular keen sandals and shoes, they're very well made and long lasting. big keen fan here, never used the bike specific stuff though. they run pretty true to size.

Thanks, they are 50% off now, only $54 so I thought I would give them a try. With summer riding in full effect, I hate wearing MTB shoes and bring flip flops with me.

Thanks,

Paul

AngryScientist
04-26-2011, 12:41 PM
i'm actually wearing a pair of these (middle ones) in the office right now. went for a nice walk at lunch outside too, great weather day here.

http://www.keensfootwearsale.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/k/e/keen_leather_shoes_yellow_-_men_s_2_1.jpg

rugbysecondrow
04-26-2011, 12:48 PM
Thanks Angry, order placed. 63 bucks shipped is not bad for these, worth a shot. I have been towing the kids around in the trailer more this year and these will be perfect for that if they fit well. I ordered the 13, the largest size they have, but I sometimes wear a 14 so we will see.

Thanks for the Keen plug.

Paul

akelman
04-26-2011, 12:52 PM
I think I'm too late, Paul, but their sizing really doesn't run at all like regular Keens (which I love). Instead of being extra wide, especially in the toe box, they're incredibly narrow. It's a shame, really, but given what you say about those boats you keep at the bottom of your legs, I'd say that if you can cancel your order before it ships, you probably should.

rugbysecondrow
04-26-2011, 12:55 PM
I think I'm too late, Paul, but their sizing really doesn't run at all like regular Keens (which I love). Instead of being extra wide, especially in the toe box, they're incredibly narrow. It's a shame, really, but given what you say about those boats you keep at the bottom of your legs, I'd say that if you can cancel your order before it ships, you probably should.

I actually have narrower feet, so they might work. When I read about them briefly, that is what seemed to pop up, narrow shoe. As my local stores don't seem to have these in stock (I have looked before) and I never wanted to try them at full retail, I will take a shot with them now. It is worth the shipping cost to see if I can make them work. Thanks for the advice though, I appreciate it.

Paul

akelman
04-26-2011, 12:59 PM
Excellent. If your foot is on the narrow side, they well might work, in which case I think they're a very cool idea for warm weather riding. And Keen is a great company.

Aaron O
04-26-2011, 01:17 PM
I have two pairs of sandals and also use the closed MTB shoe they make. I LOVE THEM! They run large'ish for me and I'd recommend going a size small, particularly on the sandals, so that you can avoid stressing the stitched areas.

I also don't agree with them being narrow...narrower than regular keens, maybe...but wide by cycling standards.

One final suggestion...I don't know how much they sell for on your site, but REI typically has good and frequent sales on them. If the fit doesn't work, take em' back.

Sorry - saw the price mentioned above. If memory serves, I got them on sale for 70 at REI...but I really like shopping with REI. Also...I think if you're sometimes a 14, you'll end up very pleased.

xjoex
04-26-2011, 01:20 PM
I really like the Keen Commuter sandals. They are great in the summer. Your friends will make so much fun of you. But whatever, they are nice!

Here is my review:
http://robonza.blogspot.com/2010/11/review-keen-commuter-sandals.html

-Joe

roydyates
04-26-2011, 04:02 PM
Thanks, they are 50% off now, only $54 so I thought I would give them a try. With summer riding in full effect, I hate wearing MTB shoes and bring flip flops with me.

Thanks,

Paul
I've ridden a few thousand miles in my keen cycling sandals. I like them a lot. However, the soles are not as stiff as true cycling shoes. Mostly it makes little difference to me up to about 200km, but I felt it on a 300k rando last year where my feet got unusually tired.

Still the soles are stiffer than regular Keen sandals so they are not quite as comfortable for walking. Also, the cycling sandals are narrower than the regular Keen sandals with the elastic string lace that more or less look the same. I think the narrowness is because regular Keens are a little too wide for SPD pedals.

EDIT ADD-ON I See I said some variation of what Akelman and Aaron O report.
It's true they are wide compared to traditional narrow cycling shoes that make my feet hurt. It's also true the toebox is a lot narrower than the regular Keens. However, if you like wide cycling shoes like Sidi Mega, my experience is that the Keens can be comfortable.

1happygirl
04-26-2011, 06:46 PM
Sorry, just saw. Love, love, love my Keen sandals with the caveat that I've never used 'em clipless. They are great for spin class or just around the neighborhood. Occasionally you'll find last years that they are changing the color only on sale at REI. Very stiff sole, maybe half size too small in the women's but mine are 2-3 yrs old.

PS In fact I know some peeps who love theirs sooooo much that they use extra wooly socks and wear 'em in the winter.

Dees r mine and they aren't as fugly as the pix. Mine are the tan color. I'm glad they r still making them. I was right the commuter I ran .5 size too small, the new commuter II they say runs true to size. (ha remember to mark calendar today right x1-doesn't happen but once a year)

Steve in SLO
04-26-2011, 08:08 PM
Sandals are back up on Bonktown now and will be for another 22 min...

jmoore
04-28-2011, 10:20 AM
Your friends will make so much fun of you.
-Joe

Your friends are right :p Ugh.

rugbysecondrow
05-10-2011, 10:04 AM
UPDATE:

I like these sandles. They are comfortable to ride with, no blisters or sore spots. No hot spots with my feet and I really liked the air and comfort they provide. I bought a size 13, the largest they have, and it is snug but workable. For lazy rides, towing the kids ups to the park, errands etc. these are perfect. I especially like not having to wear bring an extra pair of destination shoes with me.

My only issue with them thus far is that unclipping requires me to be more deliberate than before. The nature of the sandle means the heal has a little more play in it and so unclipping needs to be deliberate and maybe even exagerated to work. Not an issue after you get used to them, but the first time I nearly toppled over.

If they are on Bonktown again, I would recommend grabbing some.

Nil Else
05-10-2011, 10:50 AM
I have non-cycling version of these in blue and I kinda like them (not exactly as comfy as Ecco sandals though) except with my proportionally big feet they are fugly, ie, on me. I like Keen and I have a few other of their shoes but I don't look good in these. Yes I get picked on from just about everyone... "OMG what are you wearing?? " (or variations thereof). I only wear them in certain summer time near water activities such as hiking/fishing or washing cars/bikes etc. I think these look better if you have smaller feet, if you care.