PDA

View Full Version : is this a pretty standard repair?

vqdriver
04-25-2011, 05:41 PM
one water bottle boss is stripped out or something. i cant' remove the screw to see, but it feels like the threads broke off onto the screw so i cannot remove the screw.

bike shop said they just drill out the bad boss and reinstall a "rivnut" which i'm assuming just means a nut that installs like a rivet.

it's an aluminum boss in a ti tube.

pretty standard fare? should i just do all of them while i'm at it?

oldpotatoe
04-25-2011, 05:44 PM
one water bottle boss is stripped out or something. i cant' remove the screw to see, but it feels like the threads broke off onto the screw so i cannot remove the screw.

bike shop said they just drill out the bad boss and reinstall a "rivnut" which i'm assuming just means a nut that installs like a rivet.

it's an aluminum boss in a ti tube.

pretty standard fare? should i just do all of them while i'm at it?

They should have a tool that 'tightens' the existing rivnut, before they drill. It's the same tool that installs rivnuts. The rivnut is rotating with the bolt..need to secure the rivnut(thin screw driver or knife blade), remove the bolt, then do above.

vqdriver
04-25-2011, 05:51 PM
the collar of the rivnut is still there on top of the tube and doesn't move (tho i didn't really try too hard) so i'm thinking the threaded portion of it just divorced itself from the collar and is holding onto the screw making the head bigger than the opening.

cody.wms
04-25-2011, 07:42 PM
I had one come loose a couple years ago. Standard fare for the shop, AFAIK.

d_man16
04-25-2011, 07:59 PM
I had one on a beer can and the shop fixed it in about 20 min. If it can be done on that old thin tubed C'dale I'm sure someone can help you out too

vqdriver
04-25-2011, 08:16 PM
cool. i guess i've got little choice but to do it anyway. just a bit disconcerting when someone takes a drill to your frame....

godfrey1112000
04-26-2011, 05:49 AM
about a 20 minute deal, great job by the lbs, especially No charge

Gummee
04-26-2011, 08:18 AM
I've had one of those repairs in.

Someone's Allez. Skeered me to drill, so I tried the 'tighten it up first' method. Hasn't been back.

While its not an everyday repair, it happens often enough that there *should* be a tool in the shop for it.

M