PDA

View Full Version : Nokon Cables on a Parlee Z1

bike_it
06-08-2005, 05:04 PM
I am considering using Nokon Cables with my Campy Record when I recieve my Parlee Z1 frame. Who out their in virtual land has used them, installed them, and had good, or bad luck with the Nokon's? Any advice?

I witnessed the installation technique at a LBS and there are specific ways in which to make these work. They could be too much up-keep to justify the reliability, if indeed it is there? Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

rePhil
06-08-2005, 06:56 PM
I mean why would you use them over the Campy cables? Is it the cool factor?

bike_it
06-08-2005, 08:26 PM
I mean why would you use them over the Campy cables? Is it the cool factor?

Then please explain with your technical wisdom why Campy cables are far superior, include facts and not generalization! Thanks.

PBWrench
06-08-2005, 08:32 PM
I've got Nokons on my Record equipped C40. Bought them for looks, although the claims for smoother shifting have some substance. Certainly not enough bang for the bucks. I didn't do the installation --- it was very fiddly. Many thousands of miles on the cables and no problems to report. Here's the bike:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=7405

bike_it
06-08-2005, 09:41 PM
Thanks PBWrench for your comments. What is important is the milage that you have used them trouble free. I think once they are installed (correctly) these can be a "cool" and a nice upgrade, especially with braking. BTW, your Colnago is a class act, I am currently riding one too. Thanks for sharing the Pic.

dave thompson
06-08-2005, 10:03 PM
At $80 a pop, they are a 'cool' upgrade, but not a terribly practical one. I had Nokons on two of my bikes. The install and set-up is *quite* fiddly and borderline frustrating. Once set-up, it worked like it is supposed to; the bike shifted and braked just fine, not a great deal better than stock. Any changes that have to be made to cabling; new components that require alteration of the cable/housing lengths, it's a fresh (and frustrating) set-up all over again. I got tired of *icken' with the system so I removed it and re-installed my original cabling. Didn't notice a decrease in any shifting/braking.

vaxn8r
06-08-2005, 11:15 PM
I was not so lucky on my Tetra Pro. I tried it for the cool factor and for the Shimano set up I thought it was a cool way to route the shift cables.

I have some pretty good mechanics, who have successfully installed Nokon on other bikes including a Six13, but they could not do my Calfee. They had my bike for 10 days. It simply would not shift correctly no matter what they tried.

I didn't want it if it wasn't perfect and it was far from it. Back to the standard set up for me.

Oh yeah, my LBS didn't charge me a dime, even for labor. They refused even when I offered to pay everything. They chalked it up to a learning experience for everyone.

06-08-2005, 11:20 PM
First-time installation is a pain. Thereafter, it goes quite quickly.

Upsides:

1. Great for difficult routing (dynamite for aero bars, brake calipers behind the fork, and that kind of trick stuff).
2. Don't kink when you pack your bike for travel (this is BIG if you travel much).
3. Sex appeal.
4. Lighter than the regular cables.

Downsides:

1. All of them (silver, black and gold) show corrosion blooms after a while from perspiration and the like. You can fend it off for a while by spraying with Boeshield and then wiping down, but certain spots such as where they meet your calipers are the first to go. It doesn't affect performance, but it doesn't look as good close up.
2. They can really knock down a paint finish quickly (e.g., where your rear brake housing goes past your top tube).
3. The shifter cables (at least on Shimano) have slightly oversized heads that need to be ground down and rounded over with a Dremel tool. If you don't, the sharp edges tend to catch in your STI mechanism and don't release properly, causing you to stick in lower gears. The cables are slightly larger diameter than normal Dura Ace cables, so the housings don't quite act the same if you use Shimano cables instead.
4. Just in case you have internal top tube cable routing, do NOT run these inside the top tube. The result can quickly be lethal as they will bloom with trapped corrosion and be jammed until you replace the top tube.

All told, fun to use on a tricked out bike (and a Parlee certainly qualifies), but they will definitely try to mark up the clearcoat finish quickly unless you protect the contact points (and don't bother with the clear plastic Tygon tubing they provide as protectors -- it looks horrible, fills with salt and dirt, etc.).

bike_it
06-09-2005, 12:08 AM
Appreciate the comments provided from your REAL experiences using the Nokons. Thanks for the help!

Bottom line: Hassel factor with installation and any modifications with Nokons vs. Tried and Proved Campy cable and housing.

quattro
06-09-2005, 07:35 AM
bike it, I have NOKONs on my IF Crown Jewel Ti with Shimano 9-speed. I installed them myself over several late evenings. They do take time to install but in a way it was a fun learning experience. I like the fact that I can run the cables under the handlebar tape and not have them in my way. I also own a Parlee Z1 and have not installed them, yet. I run 10-speed DA on the Prlee and basically don't have the time to instal NOKON and wouldn't pay someone to do it. I can't even find the time to install Fizik bar gel and tape, but thats another story. Overall, I like the way the NOKONs work and look. Yes they will corrode with time but for now I have no worries. You can always go back to the cable system that goes with the group if you don't like it or it doesn't work up to your standards, give it a try.

bike_it
06-09-2005, 08:59 AM
Quattro,

I have met with the USA (Nokon) distributor and apparently there was a bad batch of Nokon Cables when they were hard anodized. It is impossible to tell when you bought them if indeed you got a "bad" set until it happens.

With that said, they will replace them and they realize this is a problem. Go to the Nokon's website and contact the North American Rep. and let him know you would like to replace the corroded set and he will send a new pair at no charge. Many people who have purchased them have experienced the exact same thing.

BTW, thanks for your feedback on the actual use of the cables.

rePhil
06-09-2005, 09:17 AM
Then please explain with your technical wisdom why Campy cables are far superior, include facts and not generalization! Thanks.

First I have zero experience with Nokon cables. That said, I feel Campy cables were designed to work with their components, as simple as that.I never said they were superior. In my experience they are reliable, long lasting and easy to install as well as being relatively inexpensive. Thats what works for me.

It sounds like Nokon's can solve some cable routing issues. But there also seems to be corrosion issues. Living in wet humid, sweaty Florida they just wouldn't cut it for me. Good luck with your Parlee. I wish you many happy miles.

zank
06-09-2005, 09:50 AM
If you are looking for pure function, check www.drycables.com. I use them on all of my customer bike builds. They function very similarly to the old Gore system, with one major improvement. There is a flange on the inner sheath that holds the sheath at the shifter of brake lever. The challenge with the Gore system was the sheath moved around a bit during installation. The flange addresses this.

They don't have the aesthetic of the Nokon's, but they will give you a very low friction system for a long, long time.

musgravecycles
06-09-2005, 10:15 AM
To add to what's already been said here I've installed about a dozen or so sets of Nokon in the last couple-three years, and will be installing another set this afternoon on a custom I just finished come to thing of it. I haven't been willing to front the coin to run them on my own bike yet (however I've been collecting the spare parts...)

Installation is a royal pain in the arse the first few times, but once you get the hang of it it's not too bad.

They work great for campy systems, and as mentioned they can solve some routing problems. However IMO they don't look good on a Shimano gear system. They can get pretty pretty floppy over a long unsupported distance, the manufactures literature recommends with a Shimano system you are supposed to route them back under the bar tape though...

My customers tell me they can notice a marginal improvement in braking with Nokon over standard cables, however NOTHING will ever be as smooth shifting as Gore used to be. We've still got a few sets of that stuff kicking around the shop.

bike_it,

I'm not sure how tall you are, but to give you a heads up, on bigger bikes it's necessary to purchase extension kits because the supplied housing isn't long enough....

However at the end of the day nothing comes close to Nokon's sex-factor...

Satellite
06-09-2005, 11:51 AM
I do miss the goretex(tm) cables. I use frame saver tape to protect my finish so I couldn't bring my self to use the NOKON Cables. Nokon's do look nice.

Satellite

bike_it
06-09-2005, 01:27 PM
It is nice to get solid feedback on components. Yes I like the look of the Nokon's, but the Campy cables/housing work great. I am willing to use Nokons with the hope the the shifting and braking are at least the same or better.

I will have Dave Letteri at Fast Track in Santa Barbara build up my bike. He has installed quite a few pairs of the Nokons with success. He also has them on his bike too. Day to day maintanance falls into my lap so I would not want to use a system that needs constant attention.

As far as an extension kit to be used, my frame is a 53 st with 56 t.t. so I am not sure if one is required?

Thanks for everyone's input, comments and experiences. Hopefully others will benefit from this post.

sevencyclist
06-09-2005, 01:59 PM
I had Nokon on my bike for almost 2 years. Got them for the lightness and coolness issue. When new, the only issue was some noise from one cable vibrating against another. After about 1 year, the corrosion became such a big problem especially for the brakes. Lubing did not help much once corrosion sets in. I am glad to hear that perhaps this was a "bad batch" issue. Too bad I threw mine out already, and probably can't get replacement.

I have gone to shimano cable housing which is no less smooth than Nokons initially, and now I have no fear of corrosion issue.

Dave
06-09-2005, 08:45 PM
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?postid=302662#poststop

Notice how the TT and DT look like they are merely glued to the head tube?

e-RICHIE
06-09-2005, 08:47 PM

okay, Dave-issimo...
come clean. are you C-40 on rbr and the vn forum?
xoxoxox's
e-RICHIE

Climb01742
06-10-2005, 04:16 AM

dave, seems like a bit of an unnecessary swipe at parlee. further down in the thread you quoted, bike_it explains how parlee tubes are joined. it's more sophisticated than "merely glued". any particular point -- in the midst of a thread about cables -- to take a swipe at parlee? much as serotta takes great care in the building of their frames, i think parlee does, too.